History Admissions 2009

Cornell07

To all those who have received offers, did you all hear from professors through email before you were formally notified?

So far I have recieved one rejection, Indiana, and have not heard a word really from any Professor at any other program to which I applied. Needless to say I feel very anxious right now. Is it typical to be contacted before hand before recieving an acceptance letter?

I heard from professors in advance of the official acceptance letter with both of my acceptances thus far - but one was the day before and the other was the same day (just earlier in the day). I think it's just their personal preference though; I don't think you can expect to hear in advance even from a place that really wants you.

Any word from Duke? I remember seeing that a few acceptances were posted earlier in the month....and also that people had to call last year to find out that they didn't get in. Has anyone spoken to someone in the the department? At this point I am assuming that I am not one of the lucky few, but it would be nice to know with some degree of certainty.

i've got a feeling that everyone who is going to get into michigan or columbia has already heard. maybe i'm just pessimistic.

it's reassuring to hear that the NYU prospectives students weekend was confusing, though, because i wasn't invited. hopefully that means i've still got a shot at getting in.

i've got a feeling that everyone who is going to get into michigan or columbia has already heard. maybe i'm just pessimistic.

it's reassuring to hear that the NYU prospectives students weekend was confusing, though, because i wasn't invited. hopefully that means i've still got a shot at getting in.

I was told that official letters for Michigan won't be sent out for another two weeks or so - so maybe there's still hope. Same goes for Columbia (I think). If the waitlist really is by field, then maybe only the international subfield is full. They might still be making decisions in other fields

hmmm, maybe. michigan hasn't sent out official letters yet, true, but people are starting to get phone calls from advisers and department-types. someone here mentioned that michigan phoned all of their admitted students, and all on the same day, in previous years. so it makes me think, if you don't get a phone call, that means the answer's gonna be no.

There weren't many people there for Latin American history, either. One or two, I think.

Okay, so, who wants to take one for the team and call Michigan to inquire as to why they have fallen off the face of the planet? I know rejections go out in March, but seriously, it cannot be that they only took one person who posted it? Come on, those Stanford rejections alone indicate that many more people peruse gradcafe than actually post here. With all these people, if something were going down at Michigan, we would know about it, right? or am I just being super duper naive?

I heard from professors in advance of the official acceptance letter with both of my acceptances thus far - but one was the day before and the other was the same day (just earlier in the day). I think it's just their personal preference though; I don't think you can expect to hear in advance even from a place that really wants you.

thanks I feel a bit better now

Not to discourage those waiting on Ohio State, but I know some people have already been admitted. I found out online (status changed to "decision" and you clicked on it for the answer) and then received a letter from the Grad School about a week later. Don't give up all hope, though, because when I emailed the professor I had been in contact with (after I received the letter), he had no idea that any notifications had been sent out. I don't know if they've already made all their admit decisions, but I do know that they're still sorting out funding stuff, so it could be that they're waiting until that's sorted to contact people really, which won't be until mid-March. And the visiting day isn't until early April. Hope this gives some people hope!

UVA has sent out rejections. My application status on the website says "DENY" in big bold letters. Maybe I'm just delirious because I'm 0-3, but I found it mildly amusing.

Same thing happened to me. I got Santa Barbara today, too. 0/4 right here.

Santa Barbara is overrated. (The town, not the school) Sure, it's beautiful, but it's like living in an MTV reality show: Plastic, vapid, tan, rich. And remember, you can't hit "mute" on real people.

Comforting, but after a particularly strong Chicago winter this year, I think I could have put up with their tan, rich vapidity.

Same thing happened to me. I got Santa Barbara today, too. 0/4 right here.

Comforting, but after a particularly strong Chicago winter this year, I think I could have put up with their tan, rich vapidity.

I feel for you. I'm in a similar boat myself, hope everything works out.