History Admissions 2009

Cornell07

Finally got in somewhere! University of Missouri, where I did my undergrad. I'm on the funding wait-list, but they made it sound like there is a very good chance of getting off of it.

A bit delayed because I just got back into town, but congratulations!

A bit delayed because I just got back into town, but congratulations!

Thank you. I get the feeling that Mizzou is a back-up school for many applicants, so some of the people who were awarded funding ahead of me will be turning them down for other offers.

Another positive: it's an MA program, unlike the other program I predict I will be admitted to. I'll probably want to try and go somewhere else after 2 years, which I think has a chance of irritating the other school if I am in their PhD program.

Another positive: it's an MA program, unlike the other program I predict I will be admitted to. I'll probably want to try and go somewhere else after 2 years, which I think has a chance of irritating the other school if I am in their PhD program.

I think you're probably right on both counts, and your instinct on this latter point is good - anecdotally, it seems like people who already have an MA, whether it's from a "top" (whatever that means) school or not, have a lot of success then moving on to PhD programs, and like you point out, you can avoid burning bridges by going with the terminal MA. The other advantage of the MA would be the chance to further refine your interests - although other people have thoroughly discussed that, after visiting a couple of schools and talking to faculty, I can see how it would be a real advantage. It seems that though adcoms want to see flexibility in personal statements, people who substantially change their focus after entering the program are in a distinct minority.

Hi, if any of you are here from last year, you might remember my frequent posting on this board (heck I started this darn thread). That being said, I thought those of you who do remember me might like to know that I got my first decision from a grad school: I was accepted by Yale for an MA in International Relations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IynQCmqvXZs = me on Friday.

I do remember from last year, and a hearty congratulations Cornell07! Best of luck.

Oh, thank god! After Rutgers sent out acceptances I was 0-2 (of 3!), but I just found out that I got accepted to CUNY. No word of funding yet, but I hope to hear more when I get my letter. The letters went out today, so start checking your mailboxes!

On a semi-related note: if you haven't heard from Rutgers, I'd count it as a rejection. All accepted students have been notified.

Oh, thank god! After Rutgers sent out acceptances I was 0-2 (of 3!), but I just found out that I got accepted to CUNY. No word of funding yet, but I hope to hear more when I get my letter. The letters went out today, so start checking your mailboxes!

On a semi-related note: if you haven't heard from Rutgers, I'd count it as a rejection. All accepted students have been notified.

Congrats! That's great! :)

Congrats!

Did you call them or did they call you?

>< : this is the last Phd I am still in play at that I think I have a shot at with funding.

Congrats on the acceptance!

How did you find out that all Rutgers accepted students have been notified?

My husband and all my friends go to Rutgers, so I hear things.

Ah, I see.

There haven't been any decisions posted since 2/25, if they have finished accepting people then they are certainly taking their time getting the rejections out.

Almost two weeks ago, there was an influx of people posting their rejections from Columbia -- as well as a few people who had been notified of their acceptance, or had been wait-listed. However, there still seem to be some people, myself included, who have neither been contacted with acceptance, nor been notified of rejection. Is the decision process still going on, or is the GSAS simply taking their time sending out rejection notifications?

Almost two weeks ago, there was an influx of people posting their rejections from Columbia -- as well as a few people who had been notified of their acceptance, or had been wait-listed. However, there still seem to be some people, myself included, who have neither been contacted with acceptance, nor been notified of rejection. Is the decision process still going on, or is the GSAS simply taking their time sending out rejection notifications?

My guess is that we didn't get into the PhD program, but our applications were referred to some MA program that hasn't sent out its decisions yet. The history department rejection seemed to be sent out as a mass e-mail a while ago.

My guess is that we didn't get into the PhD program, but our applications were referred to some MA program that hasn't sent out its decisions yet. The history department rejection seemed to be sent out as a mass e-mail a while ago.

I also am waiting to hear back form Columbia, but I already have an MA, so there's no referring my app. I find it odd not to have received one of their mass e-mail rejections last week when they have supposedly already contacted all of their accepted and wait listed students. Perhaps different areas are handling their wait lists differently--i.e., some are keeping an unofficial wait list while others have an official one and have notified those on it? I'm getting impatient, and really just want to know either way at this point.

Is anyone thinking of attending the University of Wisconsin-Madison Welcome Welcome?

I'll most likely be attending. I'm trying to shuffle some things around at work to make it happen. I'm also unclear as to how much they will help pay for airfare (I'm super low on funds at the moment).

I also am waiting to hear back form Columbia, but I already have an MA, so there's no referring my app. I find it odd not to have received one of their mass e-mail rejections last week when they have supposedly already contacted all of their accepted and wait listed students. Perhaps different areas are handling their wait lists differently--i.e., some are keeping an unofficial wait list while others have an official one and have notified those on it? I'm getting impatient, and really just want to know either way at this point.

I too already have an MA and have not heard back. It's tempting to call at this point, isn't it? Seems cruel to tell some but not all.

University of Chicago is the last school I have yet to hear back from. Does anyone know whether decisions have been made/when they'll be notifying?

looks like their "history day" was yesterday for students with offers. i also didn't hear from them yet but i assume the worst. :(

So I totally caved and just emailed the graduate coordinators/graduate assistants at my four outstanding program to ask whether they had finished making their decisions and when they would be notifying applicants. I will post summaries of any replies I receive in the next couple of days, so keep your eye out for my updates if you're still waiting to hear from Columbia, Cornell, University of Toronto, or WashU. Someone had to do it. :P