History Admissions 2009

Cornell07

anyone else still waiting from schools?

i haven't heard from 3...

I haven't heard from 4. I should receive notice from one via USPS any day now. One of the others hasn't notified yet. Don't know what's up with the other one. I'm pretty sure I was rejected by the fourth.

Well, I'm impressed.

8)

I would recommend using the Chronicle of Higher Education's cost-of-living calculator to see what 30,000 Miami bucks would be in Pittsburgh bucks. If Pitt's offer is still competitive given the lower cost of living there, I don't think the situation is much changed--you pick the school that's the best fit and that can get you a job. For you, that sounds like Pitt. If Miami's offer is way higher regardless... Well, I would definitely consider that offer.

thanks, i'll look into that. it's enough money to sway me, for sure. their original offer was a $20,000 TAship with no teaching in my first and last semester. the money would've been comparable to pitt's offer when adjusted for cost-of-living, but pitt has offered me two fellowships with no teaching required in my first year or my research year. before miami threw some extra money at me, pitt was clearly the stronger offer. but the $30,000/yr stipend would be a considerable upgrade in quality of life. plus, it's closer to the caribbean and there are tons of caribbean immigrants living there, so it would be great for my research. cheaper for travel and more resources readily available in the city itself. the faculty's pretty good too. pitt's probably the best fit, but miami's not far off. the ranking/prestige is fairly disparate, though, so i'll have to look into how much that could hurt me in the job market.

i dunno.... i guess i have to decide if the extra money means that much to me. i'm still young and without dependents, but i'm broke as a joke so miami's offer is persuasive. i've contacted some profs in my field whose judgment i trust, i'll see what they have to say.

i don't mean to brag, it's not like i got into 4 ivy league schools and i'm complaining that my 10th choice school rejected me. this is just a lot of money to me and i don't really know what to do now. ugh.

I'm waiting... and waiting on 2, I think (I lost track). I'm assuming they're coming back with an offer that is, essentially, a tenured position. I don't even have to be "tenure track," I'm just tenured. Naturally, this is what will really happen.

I'm waiting for official word on one that I know is a rejection and one that I'm pretty sure is a rejection...

So, I've been kind of listening in on your conversations the last month or so...figured I should contribute a little myself. First off, I can tell you from my experience that you can come back from a poor undergraduate gpa (2.6). After heavy semester loads at a regional university (MA), I have gotten offers at two good universities (UCSB and Virginia). Now I have to decide between no funding (UVA) and a decent shot at funding (No. 3 on wait list at UCSB). I would love to get any information from those of you who might have some insight on UCSB funding (whether you have an offer, might decline, or are on the wait list yourself). Also, just to confirm what has been said repeatedly here, I was told by future advisors that my fit with their interests was ultimately what got me in.

Here is my application info for those who are applying again next year:

2.6 ungergrad

4.0 graduate gpa

6 semesters Latin

3 semesters Ancient Greek

1 semester French

Moderate travel in area of interest

1290 GRE (620 Verbal-89th , 670 Math-65th, 5.0 AW)

Specialty: Greek and Roman

Accepted:UVA, UCSB

Rejected: UCLA, Duke, Maryland, Washington

Yeah, that AHR office is a sweet little bonus for Indiana. Your quality of life will probably be a lot better in Indiana, minus weather and dealing with Indiana-folk (I think I recall you saying you were a native, but you've obviously transcended your home-state).

Just found out thought that I am ALSO on the funding wait-list at Temple... Hrmph. So, no guarunteed funding from either program. Fiddlesticks.

I think Temple's TAs get 13k and Mizozu's graders get 6k, and my rent could be under 300 a month in Columbia, where it would be at least double that and probably more in Philly. So it's a tough call, money-wise, if I do end up getting off of both lists.

You can get a studio in a decent neighborhood for about $500-700 in Philly. That would most likely include some of your utilities, depending on the unit. I know my husband used to have a studio that included his utilities for $450 and that was in a ritzy neighborhood. Prices have gone up since then of course, but I'm sure you could still find something. Our one bedroom on the brink of Society Hill ($$$) was $800 at the time. This was several years ago, but I think that apartment today would be about $1000-1100 or so. As grad students, we obviously aren't looking in that market, so you could definately afford to live in Philly on a stipend. Many of Temple's graduate history courses are offered on the Center City campus, so you wouldn't even have to go into North Philly all the time. Philly is a city that people like to knock (and for good reason some of the time), but it really is a great city. Like all cities, it had its downfalls, but it also has its perks. I think the sports fans (when the teams lose, that is) give it a bad name.

Many of Temple's graduate history courses are offered on the Center City campus, so you wouldn't even have to go into North Philly all the time.

Thanks for letting me know that. I hadn't heard this yet, and it's a pretty valuable bit of info. I'd heard uniformly negative comments about the North Philly campus, which are now mostly irrelevant.

Philly is a city that people like to knock (and for good reason some of the time), but it really is a great city. Like all cities, it had its downfalls, but it also has its perks. I think the sports fans (when the teams lose, that is) give it a bad name.

I would agree with that. Even the sports columnists for the Inquirer are cringe-inducingly negative. I'd love to hear the sports talk radio around there, it's probably a riot.

Thanks for letting me know that. I hadn't heard this yet, and it's a pretty valuable bit of info. I'd heard uniformly negative comments about the North Philly campus, which are now mostly irrelevant.

North Philly is bad. No question about it. I grew up there for parts of my life and it's a rough neighborhood. But the immediate area around Temple is not so so bad. You have, let's say, a few blocks of university life within that vicinity. The center city part of Philly is perfectly fine. I lived there for awhile as a college senior and adult. I would walk around there at night with no problem--then again, I grew up on the streets of North Philly so it would take a lot to scare me. :wink: In all seriousness, let me know if you have any questions about the city if you're considering Temple.

I would agree with that. Even the sports columnists for the Inquirer are cringe-inducingly negative. I'd love to hear the sports talk radio around there, it's probably a riot.

Oh yeah, sports and/or local radio is a riot--especially with the accent, which I don't have btw. The sports fans vary from horrific to tame.

So, I've been kind of listening in on your conversations the last month or so...figured I should contribute a little myself. First off, I can tell you from my experience that you can come back from a poor undergraduate gpa (2.6). After heavy semester loads at a regional university (MA), I have gotten offers at two good universities (UCSB and Virginia). Now I have to decide between no funding (UVA) and a decent shot at funding (No. 3 on wait list at UCSB). I would love to get any information from those of you who might have some insight on UCSB funding (whether you have an offer, might decline, or are on the wait list yourself). Also, just to confirm what has been said repeatedly here, I was told by future advisors that my fit with their interests was ultimately what got me in.

I'm admitted to UCSB, but funding is not looking good, although I haven't received official notification one way or the other, or about waitlist details for that matter. I've heard informally that they've had to cut back funding severely this year, including the number of TA positions in general (not just offers to incoming students), which, from having visited and spoken to grad students, it seems many of them rely upon getting on a year-to-year basis. If that's true, I can't imagine how much it would suck to be 4 years in and then have that happen. But such is the state of affairs in California right now. On the other hand, if you get it, some funding is better than no funding at UVA; although at the end of the day if you had to pick one or the other to attend without any funding guarantees, I'd lean toward UVA. Not sure what Virginia's fiscal situation is like, but it can't be worse than California's - the LA Times headlined today that the budget is in even worse shape than predicted, with a deficit that will grow from $8 billion currently, to more than $20 billion by 2013 (i.e., 4 years into your Ph.D), and this takes into account the stimulus. They already cut funding to higher education THIS year... I can't imagine what sort of pain it will endure over the next 5 years unless things unexpectedly change for the better. And that seems doubtful - hell, I'm not even sure when or if I'll get the tax refund I'm due from California - they're just not paying them right now because the state can't even get people to buy its bonds on Wall Street and they've stopped paying out refunds to conserve money, and put most state workers on mandatory partial furloughs.

Which is why I'm probably headed to Indiana where I have funding, and even if I had an equal package at UCSB, I'd still be leaning toward Indiana for all the aforementioned reasons.

Yeah,

Surprisingly I have been offered my best package at UCSB. With the state of the California economy, I still have a few reservations, but I was offered 21,000 a year and guaranteed TA ships for 2nd through 3rd years. However when I visited it seemed like few people had been offered funding packages.

Here is my application info for those who are applying again next year:

2.6 ungergrad

4.0 graduate gpa

6 semesters Latin

3 semesters Ancient Greek

1 semester French

Moderate travel in area of interest

1290 GRE (620 Verbal-89th , 670 Math-65th, 5.0 AW)

Specialty: Greek and Roman

Accepted:UVA, UCSB

Rejected: UCLA, Duke, Maryland, Washington

I don't know anything about the funding situations at UVA and UCSB, but what I can tell you is that the Greek historians at both schools are absolutely fantastic people. You have for yourself very attractive options for that reason. Professor Lendon does cutting-edge research and has a wonderful personality. Prof Lee is also a promising scholar with a bright career ahead of him. You couldn't go wrong either way, so best of luck with your funding situation!

Thanks for all the input. For anyone who does not know their funding situation at UCSB, I contacted the Graduate Assistant and she put me in contact with the Graduate Coordinator to let me know my status. Ultimately, I'm afraid it will come down to money, so hopefully UCSB can come through with a fellowship. If I see any more interest in UCSB, I'll start a seperate thread for discussion.

Well, I finally got my rejection email from Columbia. It's actually a bit of relief to have one less question mark. Still two left though. Toronto told me I should be getting a letter in the mail soon, but does anyone have any updated information on Cornell? I emailed the department a few days ago, but haven't gotten a response. Rumor here had it that they have already contacted all of their accepted students, so I suppose they could just be slow with the rejection letters, although a lot of people posted rejection letters a week or so ago.

Anyone else having a hard time deciding between their current offers? I've gotten into two good, somewhat similar programs, and am not sure what to do. I'm visiting both in the next few weeks, and hopefully that will help me decide!

Anyone else having a hard time deciding between their current offers? I've gotten into two good, somewhat similar programs, and am not sure what to do. I'm visiting both in the next few weeks, and hopefully that will help me decide!

i'm having a hard time deciding too. and it's silly, because i'm letting the idea of living on the beach and taking frequent research trips without worrying about the cost sway me from a program that is in every way stronger and more suited to my interests. all 'cause i want a tan and the opportunity to use the ocean as my personal swimming pool.

i suck. really.

also, i'm sick of waiting for nyu. if the answer's no, then tell me now so i can get my visa paperwork in order and move on with my life. and if the answer is waitlisted, then disregard the two previous sentences.

i'm having a hard time deciding too. and it's silly, because i'm letting the idea of living on the beach and taking frequent research trips without worrying about the cost sway me from a program that is in every way stronger and more suited to my interests. all 'cause i want a tan and the opportunity to use the ocean as my personal swimming pool.

I currently live a few blocks from the beach and walk everyday to my office on the beach, with a Pacific ocean view I can stare at for 10 hours a day. If your experience tracks mine, you'll love it for the first year or two, brag about it to your friends and family until they want to slap you, and then you'll find that you take it for granted, you're annoyed with the tourists that flood the place in the summer and on weekends, and it will be no different from any other place you've lived, at least to you - though visitors will still tell you it's a dream location. :) The pure dollar amount of your potential stipend is no joke, and the research opportunities are nice too, but I wouldn't let the beach by itself sway you away from attending a program that is better for you in every way.

Well, I finally got my rejection email from Columbia. It's actually a bit of relief to have one less question mark. Still two left though. Toronto told me I should be getting a letter in the mail soon, but does anyone have any updated information on Cornell? I emailed the department a few days ago, but haven't gotten a response. Rumor here had it that they have already contacted all of their accepted students, so I suppose they could just be slow with the rejection letters, although a lot of people posted rejection letters a week or so ago.

as a rutgers alum - i vote RU. :D

im also having a really hard time making a decision. is anyone else moving/making their decision with a significant other?

I am. It's insane. The last time I moved across the country, it was for college, and my parents and I each took two suitcases - that was plenty.

Now I have a husband, all the household goods bounty we were given for the wedding, and a truly gigantic cat. We're also basically broke, though if we make the Big Move it'll be for a very generous stipend. I've spent the day researching moving companies and decided there is really no way to move across the country. It's actually impossible, I think, without creating a glitch in the Matrix. Setting myself on fire sounds like more fun.

It seems the only way to do it is to sell everything on Craigslist, and ship what we absolutely can't part with. The problem is the sofa we were given by my parents for our first anniversary. It's small, but it's not like you can put it in a box and ship it.

He's not leaving a good job or anything, and we actually think there might be more opportunities for him in the new place, but how the hell do you do this? We're going to visit in a couple weeks and are trying to research like hell what informal interviews might be worth setting up. Then there's the apartment deal. I'm going to get up at the crack of dawn tomorrow and the next day and start calling the larger property management companies to see about how to set up getting in on August 1 or 15 move-in dates. I figure if I seem on the ball at this point, can show up to their office in person with a copy of my letter of financial support and a recommendation from my current landlord, they might overlook the fact that we've been marginally employed for the last year. Thanks, economy!

If that doesn't work, we are truly screwed. I dread the idea of spending the first year of grad school jumping from sublet to sublet. What a nightmare.

Psssst - Greek Historian:

When checking out UCSB, if Prof Lee is someone you really really want to work with (and why wouldn't you? he's awesome), just make sure there's someone else there you would be happy working with in case he leaves. That's always true, and I'm not saying he will be or that he has plans to, but PM me if you need more info.

Now I have a husband, all the household goods bounty we were given for the wedding, and a truly gigantic cat. We're also basically broke, though if we make the Big Move it'll be for a very generous stipend. I've spent the day researching moving companies and decided there is really no way to move across the country. It's actually impossible, I think, without creating a glitch in the Matrix. Setting myself on fire sounds like more fun.

The move is the part I'm dreading most myself, but I've resigned myself to spending about $5,000 to do it because it would cost several times that much to replace all my stuff. But material items aside, it's the two cats and two cars (I'm also moving with my SO) that will be trickier. Obviously it will be far cheaper to drive the cars than to pay for them to be moved, but the cats would be easier to move by airplane because two cats in a car for two or three days sounds pretty much awful. So I still haven't figured out the logistics of it all... much less finding a house, ideally before showing up in the new locale.