History Admissions 2009

Cornell07

I would guess that those numbers wouldn't take you out of consideration at Duke, but I think anyone applying exclusively to those two programs needs to be conscious of the fact that they are potentially going to be taking the next year off of school for reasons beyond their control.

Those are the only two schools I applied to. I could only afford to apply to two schools and my academic adviser thought they were as good as any other to apply to, in my specific field, that is. I picked Duke because it has a military history program in conjunction with Carolina, so that works out pretty well if I get into Duke and not Carolina, for example.

I already know I'm gonna be going to the area no matter what, either as a PhD student or as a seeker of full time employment. If I don't get in this year, I'm gonna work on raising my GRE scores and re-working my SoPs and writing sample. In addition, I will have the money by that point to be able to afford to apply to more than two schools.

Moving forward, a macro question:

It's my understanding that the deciding factor in finding a professorship at a university (starting out) is networking--if people at the hiring institution receive references from people with whom they are already acquainted, that's huge. After that, a candidate's heaviest ammo is publications. Following that, it is the "name" value of the candidate's school.

Say candidate Z is going to Zotero University. Candidate H is going to Harvard. Zotero is, well, little-known.

H's advantage is not only Harvard, but the profs he knows at Harvard with whom he can network and use connections to get a job. Z does not have those advantages.

However, if Z publishes a book (or 2) by the time he finishes dissertation, he will be competitive with Z.

Thoughts? True or false? To what degree?

Do we really have to stress this much over getting into a top 10 "name" program?

However, if Z publishes a book (or 2) by the time he finishes dissertation, he will be competitive with Z.

I think you're dramatically overestimating the time you have available in grad school. Your dissertation is generally your first book, and that doesn't get published until several years after you get your PhD. Most people will be lucky if they can publish 3 articles during their grad school years.

But the networking advantage never really ends. Someone from a top-10 program will always have a better chance at getting a job than someone from a top-50 school.

Someone better get in somewhere today! These admits need to start rolling out. :x

I second that. This is torture in its most cruel form....at this rate I'll need a heart transplant by mid March. At least I'm not the only one going through it.

Hey, historians. I read your threads rather wistfully, as history was my much-beloved second major in undergrad. I've always been fascinated with European history, especially France during the period 1789-1945. However, I'm a stronger student in English, which I'm equally passionate about, so I decided to pursue a PhD in this discipline instead. Sigh. Still, I strongly believe in the importance of understanding literature in its historical context.

Anyway, best of luck to all of you in the admissions process! Please, someone write a dissertation on something that concerns the historiography of the French Revolution :) .

Just heard from Duke. Got an email from them today--it's out.

"Mr. XXXXXX,

I'm sorry to say that you were not accepted into our program.

We had a strong pool of over 200 applications and only 8 fellowships to offer."

Bummer. As far as I know, I'm still in the running for UNC-Chapel Hill....

sorry to hear about Duke, only 8 spots is crazy tough. I'm also waiting to hear from UNC, but I've heard that they tend to drag their feet making decisions. Best of luck to both of us.

To habu987- it's only your first round of PhD admissions. There's been an increase in number of people applying for second time the following year. Often if they're proactive, they learn what went wrong and work on remedying those problems during their year off. Most of the time they will succeed. So don't fret, work on Plan B, and keep your eyes on the end goal :) Some of us here back here again from last year or so. (Not me actually, I'm in middle of my MA program and will apply for Fall 2010).

Somebody here got into Minnesota.... :D

So far, the admits are doing American history. Are they like doing it by fields?

unless people are just mistakenly selecting American History when they respond? Although it is the most popular field I think, so that might be why... and I think they do things by field, but acceptances tend to be together?

After examining response dates of last year, it seems UNC still has at least 2 weeks... they're so sloooooow.