Prerequisites

JessicaCox28

Hi everyone! Just confirmed my acceptance to the speech pathology program at Northeastern. Very excited! But... of course now I'm instantly feeling overwhelmed. I still need to take the 5 prerequisites this summer! I live about 30 minutes north of Boston... does anyone have any suggestions on where I should take them? Have you heard of any good online programs to take them with? I would appreciate any help!!! Thank you!!!!

The University of South Florida has a great online prerequisite curriculum. I just completed mine. Utah State has a great, and very afforable, program as well, but they require that you have your exams proctored. Congratulations on Northeastern!

Hi everyone! Just confirmed my acceptance to the speech pathology program at Northeastern. Very excited! But... of course now I'm instantly feeling overwhelmed. I still need to take the 5 prerequisites this summer! I live about 30 minutes north of Boston... does anyone have any suggestions on where I should take them? Have you heard of any good online programs to take them with? I would appreciate any help!!! Thank you!!!!

Eastern New Mexico University offers speech science and neuroscience of communication in the summer. I've taken most of my prerequisites there and have been happy so far. All students get in-state tuition in the summer, which is only around $180/credit. Longwood offers some also, but they're around $500/credit. I'll be taking audiology at Longwood and speech science at ENMU this summer.

There's also La Salle University, which offers online classes. You don't have to find a proctor for your exams, but the courses aren't as cheap as Utah.

Anyone have any idea where to take a physical sciences class online? I need that for ASHA.

The University of South Florida-Sarasota is offering a physical science class this summer...I believe it is Intro to Environmental Sciences. My professor says it counts as a physical science. Do you know how we can tell if a class counts as this? I have taken Oceanography, but I don't know if that counts.

There's also La Salle University, which offers online classes. You don't have to find a proctor for your exams, but the courses aren't as cheap as Utah.

Anyone have any idea where to take a physical sciences class online? I need that for ASHA.

P.S. It is an online class, too.

The University of South Florida-Sarasota is offering a physical science class this summer...I believe it is Intro to Environmental Sciences. My professor says it counts as a physical science. Do you know how we can tell if a class counts as this? I have taken Oceanography, but I don't know if that counts.

Thanks!

I know that my university counts oceanography as a physical science, but I would check with your program.

"Physical science (3 credits) - examples are chemistry, physics, earth science, oceanography, geology, astronomy, weather "

ASHA is a bit vague on what counts and leaves it up to programs to decide:

"What courses are acceptable in those four areas? Individual graduate programs will determine which courses are acceptable in biological science, physical science, mathematics, and social/behavioral sciences. The CFCC believes that the individual graduate programs are best equipped to make the assessment as to whether or not specific courses will best serve as providing appropriate and adequate pre-requisite skills and knowledge. A list of courses that might be accepted to satisfy the prerequisite requirement can be found in Standard III-A of the speech-language pathology standards."

http://www.asha.org/certification/2005_SLP_FAQ.htm

Thanks!

I know that my university counts oceanography as a physical science, but I would check with your program.

"Physical science (3 credits) - examples are chemistry, physics, earth science, oceanography, geology, astronomy, weather "

ASHA is a bit vague on what counts and leaves it up to programs to decide:

"What courses are acceptable in those four areas? Individual graduate programs will determine which courses are acceptable in biological science, physical science, mathematics, and social/behavioral sciences. The CFCC believes that the individual graduate programs are best equipped to make the assessment as to whether or not specific courses will best serve as providing appropriate and adequate pre-requisite skills and knowledge. A list of courses that might be accepted to satisfy the prerequisite requirement can be found in Standard III-A of the speech-language pathology standards."

http://www.asha.org/...005_SLP_FAQ.htm

Thanks, I was wondering the same thing for my Oceanography class. As long as we received some kind of credit for the class we should be okay, right? I got a C :X Or would it also depend on the program?

Thanks, I was wondering the same thing for my Oceanography class. As long as we received some kind of credit for the class we should be okay, right? I got a C :X Or would it also depend on the program?

I really think it depends on your program, so I would check with them to make sure you will receive credit for it.

I also am going to Northeastern in September - I'll see you there! I am in the same boat - 5 pre-reqs to do this summer. I researched options in Boston; BU, MGH, and Emerson all offer the classes over the summer. I know I would enjoy on-campus classes more, but to save money I am going the Utah State online route. I've been trying to figure out funding - more for cost of living during the summer than for the classes,which are not too bad. I think the only option is a private loan because I am technically a "non-degree seeking student" when taking the pre-reqs. I'd be interested in finding out what you decide to do and if you have any funding information.

I really think it depends on your program, so I would check with them to make sure you will receive credit for it.

Definitely check with your program: they determine which classes meet the ASHA requirements. I was debating between 2 SLP programs a few weeks ago, and one of them counted my biological anthropology course for the ASHA biological science requirement whereas the other program said it wouldn't count and wanted me to take something like chemistry. I was prepared to have to do a biological science class this summer, and now don't have to. :)

To avoid confusion and to make sure you take the right classes (and to avoid taking classes you don't need), check with your program director/advisor. If you're wondering which classes count, send along the syllabus of any class you're questioning and they can let you know where it stands. Good luck!

P.S. I recommend Utah State for prereqs. I took a class at MGH and BU, and they cost so much $. Utah State has been wonderful. Yes, you have to get exams proctored, but I do mine for free at my local library. Very easy to set up proctored exams.

P.S.S. Congrats on Northeastern!

Edited by FutureSLP

I also am going to Northeastern in September - I'll see you there! I am in the same boat - 5 pre-reqs to do this summer. I researched options in Boston; BU, MGH, and Emerson all offer the classes over the summer. I know I would enjoy on-campus classes more, but to save money I am going the Utah State online route. I've been trying to figure out funding - more for cost of living during the summer than for the classes,which are not too bad. I think the only option is a private loan because I am technically a "non-degree seeking student" when taking the pre-reqs. I'd be interested in finding out what you decide to do and if you have any funding information.

Thanks for the help! That's probably a good idea... I would love to save any money I can! Did you find all of the classes we need at Utah State?

Thanks for the help! That's probably a good idea... I would love to save any money I can! Did you find all of the classes we need at Utah State?

Just found all of them! Quick question... did you find one class that fulfills the hearing and speech science requirement? I think I found two separate classes for this... but would obviously rather take one!

Thanks!

P.S. The whole loan process... absolutely terrible!! Good luck! :)

Just found all of them! Quick question... did you find one class that fulfills the hearing and speech science requirement? I think I found two separate classes for this... but would obviously rather take one!

Thanks!

P.S. The whole loan process... absolutely terrible!! Good luck! :)

Also check this out... you can get 50% off one class!!!

https://rcde.usu.edu/discount/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! To original poster: Bridgewater State offers Speech & Hearing Science over the summer. I took it there last summer. They also offer A&P of Speech Mech. It is about 30 minutes outside of Boston and it cost me $816 (much cheaper than any school in Boston). I'm deciding b/t Northeastern and Emerson, so maybe I"ll see you in the Fall.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone taken audiology online? I'm registered at Longwood for the summer, but I was hoping to find a cheaper option.Utah State is probably not an option since I will be traveling a lot this summer.

Edited by finnekm

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know of any online courses that fulfills the acoustic phonetics requirement? It doesn't seem to be offered at any of the schools that I've checked.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi there! I don't know if you'll receive this message or not, but I thought I'd try! I was accepted at Northeastern for Fall 2012, and am trying, through Utah State, to complete all five pre-reqs this summer. However, I haven't been able to find 5 classes through just this program that work. I would have to take 7 to really fulfill all the requirements. Did you find all five classes through Utah State this time last year?

Hi there! I don't know if you'll receive this message or not, but I thought I'd try! I was accepted at Northeastern for Fall 2012, and am trying, through Utah State, to complete all five pre-reqs this summer. However, I haven't been able to find 5 classes through just this program that work. I would have to take 7 to really fulfill all the requirements. Did you find all five classes through Utah State this time last year?

I don't know if y'all will receive this as some of these posts were weeks ago but I am also going to Northeastern in the fall. I have started a NEU board on this site and am trying to figure out how to make a facebook group for us (for someone who lives two miles from facebook headquarters I am shockingly facebook challenged). I would love to "chat" with some of my fellow cohorts before we start in September.

Sorry for the double post but it made much more sense to start a new one rather than edit my above post. To those going to NEU, I have created a fb group for us (it was not as hard as I thought once I figured it out). Please join if you are attending. Looking forward to starting in the fall (although not to the sleepless nights that come with grad school :wacko:

• 11 months later...