GRE Quantative - English PhD

I'm prepping to take the GRE in September, and wondering if its worth my time to study for the Quantitative section, as I'll be applying to English and Comp Lit programs, which I'm assuming don't put much value on that section. Its been awhile since I've done anything tested in that section, and my estimated score from a practice test was somewhere around 500. Any experience/thoughts/advice?

Thanks!

500 isn't excellent, but it's not bad either for someone who isn't very strong in Math or simply doesn't like it much, which is the consensus. You'll only need to get 10 more questions right to get in the 600s, and I think you should aim for this. You don't want to have to wonder if one "less than admirable" score may cost you your first choice. Always aim for the median scores of the schools you're applying to, as a general rule. But anything in the 600s in Q is considered pretty solid at most schools, unless you're applying for a quantitative heavy curriculum, which you arent. With just a little practice in this section, perhaps over the next month, you can certainly improve to at least 550, and likely more. Good Luck :)

You are right . . . most lit programs aren't going to give much weight to the quant section. Still, I have seen a handful of schools with websites that explicitly say that you must have at least a 1200 combined score. Which means if you aren't 100% sure you are going to score 700 + on the verbal, that 500 quant could potentially become a factor.

I agree that you should aim for 600 + with the quant just to be safe. I was in the same situation as you - last math class was years and years ago, and I am applying to English lit programs. But, I spent a little time brushing up on my math and got a 680 on the quant (as opposed to my low 500s first practice test score). Even if you have a healthy fear of numbers (like me!), the quant section really is quite manageable if you give it a few hours of study.

That said, don't spend so much time on the quant as to jeopardize your verbal; a 700+ verbal will be far more important than a 600+ quant (which you already know, of course).

By the way, to which programs are you going to apply? Just curious . . . .

• 3 weeks later...
I would do as well on the quant as you can since GRE scores are often considered in university-wide fellowship competitions.

Agreed. I earned an extra $6,000 for this year because I aced the GRE. It certainly did not get me accepted, but it got me some much-needed funding, which allowed me to pick a program I otherwise might have passed over (and so far love).

Study. You'll be in grad school soon. Get used to it. =)

• 1 month later...

I put this question to one of my professors (tenured English faculty), and he told me, basically, that it's perhaps the least important part of the application, but it does make an impression nonetheless. From the standpoint of English admissions alone, it's less important than, say, your writing sample, but you shouldn't disregard it unless you just don't have time to prepare for it. And then there's the matter of funding, which everyone else has already mentioned.

The other thing is that the amount of math covered on the Quant section is pretty finite: your score should rise very predictably with practice and a (very) little memorization. So it's worth a little time.