San Francisco State!

alyss

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just bumping this up.

Anyone attending in the fall?

Yep, I'm one of them. Name's Niño. MA in Mathematics. Good to know you're going to SFSU as well!

PS. Have you found housing yet? I'm finding it rather difficult at this point to find reasonable housing on Craigslist.

Yep, I'm one of them. Name's Niño. MA in Mathematics. Good to know you're going to SFSU as well!

PS. Have you found housing yet? I'm finding it rather difficult at this point to find reasonable housing on Craigslist.

Hi! I'm Ashley!

And currently I'm waitlisted for on-campus but I'm looking for off-campus with two girls from my program. I used padmapper.com and that helped me find some cheapish / close to campus housing.

Hey, Ashley! Thanks for the suggestion, it's gonna make my housing search easier.

All the cheap ones that are close to campus seem to be selling quickly, but I guess I'll have to keep looking.

PS. How'd you meet other people in your program? I haven't met anyone from mine.

Hi! I'm Ashley!

And currently I'm waitlisted for on-campus but I'm looking for off-campus with two girls from my program. I used padmapper.com and that helped me find some cheapish / close to campus housing.

Sorry for the late reply but I hope you've found housing! I found cheaper places in places like Daly City and Pacifica that were close is, but I'll also have a car so I can live a bit further out there.

As for how I met people, one of the faculty members gave us an email list and there is a facebook group. One of the girls I'm rooming with lives near me on the east coast so I met up with her a week or so ago. Without the email list or facebook I probably wouldn't have met anyone until I got out there.

I'm personally still in undergrad, but I know tons of people at SFSU and my sister plans to apply for their History MA program and credential program. SFSU is like a 2nd home to me, even though I don't attend :)

Trip, try to live near Daly City BART so you can hop onto the free SFSU shuttle :) And finding parking IS possible ;)

Ashley! Ahh, looks like my reply was late as well! Sorry about that :)

I actually got back from SF last week, saw the campus and looked for housing. I managed to find something of reasonable distance and price, as well as month-to-month tenancy, and it's this last reason that will be why I apply for on-campus housing for the spring semester.

Well, I wish we MA Math guys and gals had a FB group, but I do have a Graduate TA mailing list, and we've finally begun arranging a meet-up for when we're all at SFSU, so it looks like I'm going to be able to meet people from my program after all :D

When's everybody heading to SF? I'll be going back on the 10th.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey so I guess you are already here!

Where are you applying for housing? I'm stuck with two undergrads and am so unhappy about how this housing panned out. I'm attempting to get into University Park North. Have you talked to them at all?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

Yeah, I've been here for a month. I just checked the forum today and, wow, haven't been here for a while. I'm living near the intersection of Ocean and Jules right by the K and the 29, so it's close to campus.

I live with a bunch of people who are cool, but I hardly see and talk to them so I can't really consider them friends. Plus, rent is not that cheap, so I'm seeing if it's cheaper to live on-campus (or if it's even allowed). I haven't talked to housing, but UPN or Parkmerced could work for me if there's an opening. It doesn't seem likely that I'll get in during the semester, so I'll talk to them now and hope to get in by the Spring.

As for non-housing, it's been intense! I've been teaching classes alongside doing schoolwork, and it's quite a time-sink. I haven't had time to go out much, to be honest. My peers are wonderful, though. Everyone's nice!

How has your first month of classes been? Meet any great peers?

Yeah housing in this area isn't cheap. One of the main reasons I was looking to get in at UPN/UPS or even Parkmerced. I know UPN has a waitlist but you can apply now for Spring and Fall 2012-Spring 2013. I'm trying to decide if I want to do that after the run around they gave me this year.

But I'm all settled now and things have been hectic! I think I'm reading an average of 800+ pages a week for just three classes! But I absolutely love my program, the professors and the people in it. It's a relatively small program (23 for first years, i think 20 second or third year students, so 40ish total) and we all know each other pretty well after this first month.

No teaching for me, but I do have work-study related Museum job and I think for next semester I'm also going to secure an internship. Just keeping myself busy, busy, busy!

So great to hear you are enjoying your program as well! :D Let's hope this week continues to be beautiful!

Ashley, you kinda jinxed it! It was warm out for a couple of days...then it got pretty cold :(

hahaha, I'm kidding. I always wear blazers and/or a jacket because I'm starting to get how infrequent a warm day is out here. Today is pretty warm out, though!

Hm, if it's cheaper *and* closer to peers and the campus (no Muni necessary), I think I would love to move on-campus, if that's allowed for grad students!

800 pages a week?!? I can't even imagine reading 100 a week, to be honest with you. Then again, we have to write lots of proofs, which is one of the few things that they have in common with papers. Intense writing, hahaha.

Wow, my program is relatively small as well. There are 42 of us, and about a little over a third of us are first years (not sure if my fellow first-year graduate TA's are the only first years in the program, but that's most of them). Most of the group has their office in Thornton, while mine's in the Science building, so I don't get to hang out as much with them, but they're really cool from our encounters and working in study groups.

Which museum are you working at, by the way? Is it worth a visit? I have yet to do any sightseeing around here!

• 1 month later...

Hi Alyss, I'm currently working on apps for Fall 2012 admissions, and I still have not decided if I was going to bump SFAI for SFSU MA in Art History. Is the Museum Studies and Art History program connected in any way? I was hoping you might be able to some insider input on the matter. Also, I noticed that the GRE scores are listed for the Museum studies program, but not the AH one, I wonder why that is? I dont expect you to answer that one...just throwin it out there! :rolleyes:

Congrats BTW, is it everything you dreamed of?! :D

Hey there egomez11!

Unfortunately I won't be of much help here because the Art History program and Museum Studies program do not overlap in any way. At least not when it comes to program requirements. I don't have time to take a lot of electives outside my program requirements because my program is so small. I know I have the option of taking AH courses but I don't think I'll be taking any because they won't end up benefiting me, where as about 80% of the museum courses have practicums and projects that I can list on my resume as experience.

Sorry I'm not much help! I'm not even sure the AH offices are in the same building as me (MS occupies about 3 classrooms in the Humanities building, not including the galleries). As for the GRE scores, I'm not sure why one program lists them and another doesn't. When I applied they didn't list anything about actual range of scores. Just a GPA requirement and that you needed at least 6 months of museum experience.

But it is everything I wanted. I'm glad I chose this program! Lot of work and reading but I'm enjoying every second of it. Just need to finish two big projects for this upcoming week and I'll have a mostly free weekend to go out and enjoy San Francisco before I head back east for Thanksgiving.

Best of luck applying! If I hear anything about the AH department I'll be sure to message you with it :)

• 3 months later...