Music Composition PhD and DMA Programs

beccakephart

I applied this last last cycle to Buffalo, Virginia, and Iowa doctoral programs and got rejected from all 3. I want to try again next year, so I'm researching other school possibilities as well. What are other good but not Ivy league level programs?

• 3 months later...

My list is still being revised somewhat but these are the places I'm considering for sure right now for composition: UC Berkeley, University of Chicago, Princeton (I realize it is are Ivy League, but I would still suggest looking into their department)

Others that I'm considering and I think you might want to research as well: UC Santa Barbara, and either Florida State University or University of Miami.

I'm also applying for Musicology at Duke, UCLA, and the University of Southern California so hopefully I have a few options come March of 2012.

Hi beccakephart,

I think that what's important here is to decide what programs are of your interest and what others aren't. For example, if you are a conservative composer, don't apply to UCSD or Stanford because there is no way you are going to get in. On the other hand, and in that case, you could apply to NEC or Yale and you would definitely have more chances.

You need to know what music the faculty composers in a specific program make. And then, you should apply where you feel that your aesthetics fit.

Of course, this is only my opinion.

Yes and no. Usually, when you share a similar aesthetic with your teacher, it probably means that he has already been in places where you aim to be—which can be very helpful to your own musical path. On the other hand, it's also important to listen to teachers who write completely different music than yours—it's a great way to open your mind. But still, I would recommend you to apply at places where you would find yourself comfortable in.

• 1 month later...

Hi all - posting this in several places...

I'd like to plug my program at the University of Florida. We have a fairly young PhD program, so it's a little off-the-radar for some, but it's getting better and better each year. Very good fellowships/assistantships (up to $16k), VERY collegial, and very eclectic (most of us do some acoustic and some electronic music, we also do some free improv, installations, etc.). Feel free to email me with questions: adamscottneal at gmail.

comp website: http://www.arts.ufl.edu/composition