math -> anthropology?

notascientist

Hi,

I am currently taking an introductory anthropology class and find it very interesting. I would love to spend my time building models of how cultures work and comparing it to experimental fieldwork. Also, anthropology is the only discipline whose papers I've found to be interesting and easy to read.

The problem is I am a math major at Caltech and we have all of two anthropology classes here (the intro class I'm taking, and a class on Caltech student culture).

Do you think it would be worthwhile for me to apply to grad school in anthropology? Would I stand a chance of being accepted?

There's definitely room in anthropology for model-building and projection/fieldwork comparisons, especially in the more biologically inclined flavours of anthropology.

I think if you find yourself truly fascinated by the field and think that it is worthwhile to pursue, it's definitely worthwhile for you to go for it and apply. You'll be required to justify your interest (as does everyone) so taking the available Anth classes, and any other way you could bulk up your knowledge of the field, would be important. Also, it's always good to think about which department you'll apply to in terms of research interest, but in this case, you might also want to consider the department's stance on accepting people without previous formal training in anthropology. Some departments are very keen on taking people from a wide variety of backgrounds, so long as they show a commitment to the subject and and a genuine curiosity. But I've also encountered some departments that are very strict in their intake, and generally don't take people who haven't completed a bachelors or masters in anthropology already. If you intend to apply, you'll be doing some research anyway, so this is just another thing to think about.

It'll probably be less straightforward for you to get in to a program, but by no means impossible - I know several people who ended up in anthropology programs after training in Computer Science, Statistics, and other similar subjects.

It might be worth it to do a masters in anthropology before going into a PhD, though there are definitely places that will accept people with little or no anthropology background. If you do a masters you'd get to take more classes and familiarize yourself with the field, narrow your interests, and also get a chance to do some research and get a relevant writing sample done for your PhD applications.

• 1 month later...

Inca2011's advice is sound- an MA may be a good option for you. People come to anthropology from all different fields of study, and there are several students (and profs) in my department who have backgrounds in hard sciences/math. On the other hand, though, my cohort and I just finished our first year, and those with at least a solid minor in Anthro had a much easier time of it than those with little to no Anthro background (not that it was really "easy" for any of us...)

Good luck to you, notascientist!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...