Purdue (West Lafayette)

ComeBackZinc

Nice! I'm so excited, I have to make sure to keep my focus on finishing this semester, both for my own stuff and for the classes I'm teaching. Both the chair of my current department and the professor I'm closest to went to Purdue, so I'm probably annoying them with all of my questions. I was looking at photos of the Meet and Greet picnic from last year and I got a little anxious about meeting so many new people. Also, I was looking at that website that lists housing opportunities for students, and coming from the northeast, I was blown away by how cheap the rental rates are.

Nice! I'm so excited, I have to make sure to keep my focus on finishing this semester, both for my own stuff and for the classes I'm teaching. Both the chair of my current department and the professor I'm closest to went to Purdue, so I'm probably annoying them with all of my questions. I was looking at photos of the Meet and Greet picnic from last year and I got a little anxious about meeting so many new people. Also, I was looking at that website that lists housing opportunities for students, and coming from the northeast, I was blown away by how cheap the rental rates are.

I wish I had people from Purdue I could annoy with questions. I'm really excited too. I also find it hard to meet a bunch of people at once. I do love the rental prices though! Where are the Meet and Greet pictures? I couldn't find them.

Hey people,

This thread randomly caught my eye because I'm a Purdue undergrad finishing up and heading off to grad school myself :) If you have any questions about the area or school, please feel free to ask and I'll do the best I can to help! I probably won't know as much about your individual programs (unless you're speech/hearing like myself) but I'll try.

Enjoy West Lafayette! I love Purdue and will miss it a lot when I leave. If I decide to do my Ph.D, Purdue's definitely in my top choices. I'd love to come back.

Lest this become a thread only for rhetoric and composition...

I'll most likely be starting at Purdue this fall to pursue a PhD in Mathematics. (Yes, I'm putting off the decision a few more days.)

I went for a visit last week and did some extensive apartment searching. I'm planning to sign a lease with livesay management, in one of their Pearl street studios (a seven-minute walk from where my office will be in the Math building) and will probably drive up again on Fri or Mon to sign in person. Have any of you done research into apartments near campus? I know they're more expensive, but I've decided to splurge my first year.

btw, if you haven't found it yet there's an excellent online resource for apt searching near Purdue:

http://www.boilerapartments.com/search.aspx

Finding an apartment is definitely my number one anxiety right now. I can't possibly get to campus until the middle of May.... Although it looks like there are a lot of options.

Proximity to campus is a big deal for me too.

Finding an apartment is definitely my number one anxiety right now. I can't possibly get to campus until the middle of May.... Although it looks like there are a lot of options.

Proximity to campus is a big deal for me too.

Hi! I'm currently a purdue graduate student and proximity to campus can mean a lot of different things. I live in Franklin Park Apartments (which I recommend - they're flexible with lease start and end dates, and give graduate student discounts) and it's right on the bus line so it takes me about 15-20 minutes to get to campus and I don't have a car.

Hi! I'm currently a purdue graduate student and proximity to campus can mean a lot of different things. I live in Franklin Park Apartments (which I recommend - they're flexible with lease start and end dates, and give graduate student discounts) and it's right on the bus line so it takes me about 15-20 minutes to get to campus and I don't have a car.

That's good to hear. I am just going to have to get to West Lafayette, hopefully sometime in May, and see if I can't arrange a lease for fall. It's so hard to try and apartment shop from long distance.

That's good to hear. I am just going to have to get to West Lafayette, hopefully sometime in May, and see if I can't arrange a lease for fall. It's so hard to try and apartment shop from long distance.

Yeah, you should visit there to get an apartment as soon as you can. I saw quite a few apartments (7-10, maybe) while I was there; coming from a larger (non-college-only) town, I was surprised at how seasonal most of the leases are. Basically, the leases all go from August to August, in step with the school year, and most of the good deals get snapped up early (January, maybe?) by students who know they'll be returning the next year.

I'll be paying around $630/mo for a nice studio next to campus. If money is an issue for you, I have heard that there are many considerably cheaper places to live on the bus line, taking as little as 5-10 minutes for a commute.

Sarah S--can you back me up on all this?

Yeah, you should visit there to get an apartment as soon as you can. I saw quite a few apartments (7-10, maybe) while I was there; coming from a larger (non-college-only) town, I was surprised at how seasonal most of the leases are. Basically, the leases all go from August to August, in step with the school year, and most of the good deals get snapped up early (January, maybe?) by students who know they'll be returning the next year.

I'll be paying around $630/mo for a nice studio next to campus. If money is an issue for you, I have heard that there are many considerably cheaper places to live on the bus line, taking as little as 5-10 minutes for a commute.

Sarah S--can you back me up on all this?

Yep - pretty much! I mean "considerably cheaper" can mean some pretty awful places but mine is just under $600 for a nice 1 br in franklin park which is on the busline. Is your studio one of the remodeled houses? That's what I love about Lafayette - how many of the beautiful old houses have been converted to apartments.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm late posting, but I too am going to be starting at the Dept. of English this fall. I'm with you on the new place, new people, apartment-finding anxiety. I'm going to try and visit early June (that's the earliest I can get there) and I'm hoping that won't be too late. Urgh. Have you folks made any headway on finding apartments etc?

I know I'm late posting, but I too am going to be starting at the Dept. of English this fall. I'm with you on the new place, new people, apartment-finding anxiety. I'm going to try and visit early June (that's the earliest I can get there) and I'm hoping that won't be too late. Urgh. Have you folks made any headway on finding apartments etc?

Nope. I'm just going to have to wait until I can fly out there and hope to strike gold.

Is your studio one of the remodeled houses? That's what I love about Lafayette - how many of the beautiful old houses have been converted to apartments.

No, it's in a complex (so it's probably not as "nice" as I'd implied), but I did look at some interesting studios at a place on Vine St. There was this old frat house that had been converted into studio and 1BR apartments...somehow they managed to cram 13 units into that building. I almost got one, but they were either too small (~200 ft^2), too expensive ($700-$750), or had their bedroom open right to the outside, where all the dirt, snow, and winter wind could blow directly into one's bedroom.

For those who are less...particular than I am about living space, though, some of those places might have been desirable.