Johns Hopkins

serenity5x5

• 4 weeks later...

Well you could always try craigslist.com(if you aren't familiar w/ that website being an international student) , go to the baltimore listings and look. Just be careful, you will find some scammers and crazy people on there. There are also websites you can use to find housemates or apartments.

I haven't heard back from JHU yet with regards to matriculation info, courses, etc. I guess the department that is in charge of doing background checks is extremely busy right now. I was under the impression that they were going to send out a list of everyone coming into the program (my department at least), that way everyone can contact each other to see if anyone would like to split a place.

Or you could always do Reed Hall. Not sure how expensive it is yet, and I heard it is a hole (old and dilapidated). I'm sure you could do better living off campus. What better way anyway to experience a city than living off campus?

Edited by fibonacci

I am sure that you are right about off-campus housing. Except the fact, as you mentioned, there are a lot of scammers there on craigslist.com. So, it will be rather difficult to find a spot from abroad.

I would do on-campus housing, but everyone said that it is an old building and that I could be better off-campus.

Haven't got any official info on fellow students on JHSPH, and yes, it might be useful to know other people and maybe share an appt.

I have noticed that everyone suggests Mt.Vernon as being a good neighbourhood, as well as Charles Village.

• 2 months later...

I am sure that you are right about off-campus housing. Except the fact, as you mentioned, there are a lot of scammers there on craigslist.com. So, it will be rather difficult to find a spot from abroad.

I would do on-campus housing, but everyone said that it is an old building and that I could be better off-campus.

Haven't got any official info on fellow students on JHSPH, and yes, it might be useful to know other people and maybe share an appt.

I have noticed that everyone suggests Mt.Vernon as being a good neighbourhood, as well as Charles Village.

Not sure if writing a response will prompt a revival of this thread, but I'm starting at Hopkins in the fall (or, really, next month) and just moved to Mt Vernon! I haven't tried to get to school via the shuttle yet but in terms of the neighborhood it's adooorable, I'm pretty obsessed with it.

I moved in last week after driving here from LA and had never seen the apartment before - I was underwhelmed at first, to say the least, but after looking at a few other apartments and spending 96 hours straight cleaning, I realized that 1. Mt Vernon apartments are older and sometimes have strange layouts and 2. cleaning changes everything. I'm in love with the apartment now, our landlady is eccentric but easy going, and I'm so glad I went for this Mt Vernon apartment over any of the others.

If you're still looking at apartments, check out www.padmapper.com; I can't really do it justice, but it helped me out immensely when I was trying to figure out where to live.

Good luck!