Accepted to Pratt and waitlisted at Columbia - what should I do?

mimoma

Hi everyone,

I got accepted to Pratt Institute and waitlisted for Columbia. The deadline to send the deposit for Pratt is May 1st. My first choice is Columbia though, but it is uncertain whether spaces will become available and if so, when they will notify.

Has anyone experience with Columbia's waitlist? And is it possible to get an extension for deposit deadlines?

I don't know what to do ...

They probably won't do an extension. If it's a small deposit like $300 or something, you can just put it down. That's not too bad to lose if you decide not to go. I wouldn't put down $800 or anything though.

You could always make the deposit at Pratt, if you are willing to lose that money.... You could also ask Columbia where you stand on the waitlist to get a better sense of if you have a good chance.....

I don't know who would turn down Columbia if they got in. I bet the wait list there doesn't move as much as other schools'. They told me they only had something like six spaces in painting, however, so it's possible someone could choose another heavy-hitting school that gave them a great financial offer. I agree with everyone else; considering that it's Columbia's waitlist, it'd be a big risk not to make the deposit at Pratt. I'd rather take the chance of losing a few hundred if I got into Columbia than lose the opportunity to go to grad school this year, especially at Pratt. If you didn't deposit and didn't get accepted to Columbia you'd have to pay application fees next year anyway.

Congratulations on getting on their list. Your art must be incredible.