Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

I just wish someone could give German alternates a time frame on when we could hear back...waiting for this is really distracting me from MCAT studies :wacko: Any suggestions on ways to not focus on this grant would be immensely appreciated

I am SO glad I'm not the only one snooping to find out what actual stipend amounts are! I totally think this info should be made available to us, even if it varies by year/country. What other fellowship doesn't tell the applicants how much the stipend will be? It's crazy to me.

So after all the acceptances have rolled in (I'm thinking by June?), I say we start a separate thread titled "Fulbright Stipends." In it, recent/former/current grantees can reveal their monthly stipend amounts, and comment on well they lived on that amount of money in their grant country. They can also talk about housing costs, basic living costs, ect.

I have no idea why the Fulbright Commission keeps us in the dark about something so important. Luckily we have each other to fill in the blanks. Anyhoo, I will start that thread after acceptance season has ended. Maybe I'll call it "Fulbright Financials" or something cute like that.

Stipend amounts vary HUGELY from country to country, even within regions. I know of people in certain countries who are struggling to afford basic living costs--and on the other hand, Fulbrighters who are able to save thousands of dollars due to extremely generous stipends.

Stipend amounts vary HUGELY from country to country, even within regions. I know of people in certain countries who are struggling to afford basic living costs--and on the other hand, Fulbrighters who are able to save thousands of dollars due to extremely generous stipends.

I've heard the same thing from various friends who were Fulbrighters. Some had to take out loans just to live, even ascetically, which I think is a shame.

Edited by MedievalHistory1124

http://catalog.cies.org/

This is the catalog of awards for Fulbright SCHOLARS (e.g. people like 1CrazyLady who are professors - specifically professors and professionals who are going abroad to lecture at a another university or do research, NOT full research grant grantees or ETAs). Since we are not, you know, doing stuff like lecturing/lawyering/doing business that we could be doing at our own universities/law firms/businesses for several thousands more $$$, I would guess the stipends for full/ETA grants are probably between about 1/3 and 1/2 of the amounts listed for the scholars. I believe Fulbright bases all its grants on the actual cost of living in the country (probably the country as a whole, not the most expensive city in it) and does not award a base amount to scholars across the board.

Please note that I have pretty much no basis for saying 1/3 to 1/2, except that I compared them to the past grant amounts given to Germany and Taiwain ETAs and they seem to match up fairly well.

p.s. I was debating whether or not to post this because it might freak some people out or give them too high of an expectation. PLEASE don't take this as the gospel truth!

Edited by bdoll

http://catalog.cies.org/

This is the catalog of awards for Fulbright SCHOLARS (e.g. people like 1CrazyLady who are professors - specifically professors and professionals who are going abroad to lecture at a another university or do research, NOT full research grant grantees or ETAs). Since we are not, you know, doing stuff like lecturing/lawyering/doing business that we could be doing at our own universities/law firms/businesses for several thousands more $$$, I would guess the stipends for full/ETA grants are probably between about 1/3 and 1/2 of the amounts listed for the scholars. I believe Fulbright bases all its grants on the actual cost of living in the country (probably the country as a whole, not the most expensive city in it) and does not award a base amount to scholars across the board.

Please note that I have pretty much no basis for saying 1/3 to 1/2, except that I compared them to the past grant amounts given to Germany and Taiwain ETAs and they seem to match up fairly well.

p.s. I was debating whether or not to post this because it might freak some people out or give them too high of an expectation. PLEASE don't take this as the gospel truth!

where did you find the info about Germany and Taiwan ETAs?

Just found the following information for full grants to Italy:

The grant amounts to € 13.800. This sum includes a maintenance allowance

of € 9.900, a settling-in allowance of € 1.300, a housing allowance of € 1.500

and a travel allowance of € 1.100. The grant is offered for one academic year

only and cannot be renewed for subsequent years

Here is the link: http://www.fulbright.it/en/borse-di-studio/statunitensi/us-student-program/Fulbright_Full-Grants_2012-13.pdf

Waiting to hear about Germany ETA is killing me. I wonder if we'll get an E-mail or regular mail. It seems ETAs for Germany typically find out anywhere between 1-20 days after Full grants are notified.

So sorry, minorcharacter! That's horrible. Any chance that the bleakness of the moment can be fed constructively into the writing of the novel?

I know it's little consolation, but I'm at the (adjunct) professor level, and over the past few years I have had over fifty rejections for professor jobs before getting this Fulbright junior faculty grant. My Oxford D.Phil didn't quite open doors as quickly as I had hoped. My encouragement is to persist. The fact that you were a finalist here means that your work is excellent. Also, we are not privy to all the criteria used to make the selections. I have a hunch that funding constraints, geographical distribution, and spreading the awards among various subjects means final selection must be based at least in part on several contingencies over which none of us has any control.

So sorry, minorcharacter! That's horrible. Any chance that the bleakness of the moment can be fed constructively into the writing of the novel?

I know it's little consolation, but I'm at the (adjunct) professor level, and over the past few years I have had over fifty rejections for professor jobs before getting this Fulbright junior faculty grant. My Oxford D.Phil didn't quite open doors as quickly as I had hoped. My encouragement is to persist. The fact that you were a finalist here means that your work is excellent. Also, we are not privy to all the criteria used to make the selections. I have a hunch that funding constraints, geographical distribution, and spreading the awards among various subjects means final selection must be based at least in part on several contingencies over which none of us has any control.

Garden- What did you get your PhD in?

I'm a recommended full-grant applicant to the UK who still hasn't heard anything one way or another. I was not interviewed, but neither have I (at this point) been formally rejected. Are there other full-grant Germany/UK folks who haven't been updated on their current status? I guess I assumed that all of the e-mails to applicants for a single country would go out roughly simultaneously, as they did in January.

Awesome attitude and persistence! I am in the second year of my Ph.D. and have also been through a number of rejections.

Fulbright rejections- Austria, 2004 (Alternate)

Sweden, 2008 (Rejected without being 'recommended')

Brazil, 2013 (Recommended, waiting on decision)

Ph.D. programs- Ten rejections in 2009 round

2010 round- 7 rejections, 3 acceptances - currently attending a very well known program.

The thing I keep on coming back to is that that it only takes that 'one' acceptance. Often those who are seemingly 'successful,' are the ones who just keep on trying, year after year, application season after application season. So, for all of those of you were 'rejected,' or 'wait-listed,' I hope to see you on these forums next year, should your life situation allow for another application. In no way am I saying that it does not suck to get rejected and that you can (or should) reapply to infinitum, but I am saying that a couple of tries are often very worth your while.

I'm a recommended full-grant applicant to the UK who still hasn't heard anything one way or another. I was not interviewed, but neither have I (at this point) been formally rejected. Are there other full-grant Germany/UK folks who haven't been updated on their current status? I guess I assumed that all of the e-mails to applicants for a single country would go out roughly simultaneously, as they did in January.

Hi Gardens, I'm also a full-grant applicant to the UK and I haven't heard anything one way or the other and I wasn't interviewed after being recommended. It seems the only thing we can do now is wait...

Hi Gardens, Hi Magiaepasta - -

I too am in the same boat. Have been following along for the past week, and am in the same boat. I was not interviewed either...and yes, it's the waiting game. Good luck to you both! I've been checking email like a crazy and-a-half, incessantly, as well as this forum!

: /

I have been browsing this forum for a couple of days but just joined. I received an e-mail yesterday notifying that I am a Germany alternate. So... still waiting :unsure: . I wonder how many alternates they pick.

I am jealous (in a good way) of German Fulbright applicants that can also apply for DAAD. I was not able to apply because I completed my BA over 6 years ago :(