Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

(I should be working, but can't seem to stay away... )

Also, anyone worried that they are ill-prepared to handle rejection?

I feel like I've been thinking positively of the outcome that I haven't prepared myself mentally and emotionally for a rejection, should I be rejected..

Haha, true story: I've made all of my friends shoot me down every time I mention Armenia. My friend said last night, "Why do you even care if people are getting notified soon? You KNOW you're gonna get rejected."

It's awesome, lol. Hope for the best, expect the worst!

Haha, true story: I've made all of my friends shoot me down every time I mention Armenia. My friend said last night, "Why do you even care if people are getting notified soon? You KNOW you're gonna get rejected."

It's awesome, lol. Hope for the best, expect the worst!

That made me smile...

"You KNOW you're gonna get rejected."

;)

That made me smile...

"You KNOW you're gonna get rejected."

;)

Haha, right?! I have the best friends....hahahaha! :D

Busti, you're waiting on a Portugal ETA yeah? I bet you'll hear soon!!!

Its especially difficult when you have to make life plans around it. I don't want to speak about it, but every time someone asks, "What are your plans for the next year or so?" I have to mention it...

I. agree.

I may be hired soon as an Associate Director for Study Abroad, a job I'm super excited about potentially getting, however if chosen for Fulbright I'll more than likely have to decline job offer as I'd be taking off to Portugal (unless we could work out a temporary thing)

I'm even more worried should I get a rejection... telling that rejection story over and over to co-workers, friends, family is going to be horrible. :(

Haha, right?! I have the best friends....hahahaha! :D

Busti, you're waiting on a Portugal ETA yeah? I bet you'll hear soon!!!

I should tell mine to do the same!!

Sounds like fun... "REJECT!!"

Yup, Portugal ETA... I think I'm the only one on the forum so this if fun! I'm living vicariously through everyone elses (Argentina, UK, etc..) acceptances..

Hopefully soon!!

=)

I. agree.

I may be hired soon as an Associate Director for Study Abroad, a job I'm super excited about potentially getting, however if chosen for Fulbright I'll more than likely have to decline job offer as I'd be taking off to Portugal (unless we could work out a temporary thing)

I'm even more worried should I get a rejection... telling that rejection story over and over to co-workers, friends, family is going to be horrible. :(

I should tell mine to do the same!!

Sounds like fun... "REJECT!!"

Yup, Portugal ETA... I think I'm the only one on the forum so this if fun! I'm living vicariously through everyone elses (Argentina, UK, etc..) acceptances..

Hopefully soon!!

=)

You're not a "reject" if you make it to the final round but are not selected for the Fulbright. You are a finalist. This has a certain amount of prestige attached to it and most people advise you to put it in your CV, especially if you are going into academia. With that being said, a rejection still hurts (as I found out last year), especially if you are counting on the fellowship to make possible the archival research you need for your dissertation.

Its especially difficult when you have to make life plans around it. I don't want to speak about it, but every time someone asks, "What are your plans for the next year or so?" I have to mention it...

I'm in the same position. Each time I mention it, I feel like I'm upping my jinx haha! I try to be as vague as possible :P

To all applicants, making it this far is truly an accomplishment, and can definitely (& should!) be noted on you resume.

You're not a "reject" if you make it to the final round but are not selected for the Fulbright. You are a finalist. This has a certain amount of prestige attached to it and most people advise you to put it in your CV, especially if you are going into academia. With that being said, a rejection still hurts (as I found out last year), especially if you are counting on the fellowship to make possible the archival research you need for your dissertation.

well said.

I have to admit I didn't think I'd make it this far in my wildest dreams... I'm trying to remember how elated I was when finding out I made it... :)

Are you waiting to hear for news this year?

If so, good luck!!

well said.

I have to admit I didn't think I'd make it this far in my wildest dreams... I'm trying to remember how elated I was when finding out I made it... :)

Are you waiting to hear for news this year?

If so, good luck!!

Yes, I'm a finalist for a full grant to Italy. Thanks and good luck to you as well!

My boyfriend tells me I need to chill about this whole refreshing my inbox business.

... and then I told him about that regression analysis. He's glad I keep such crazy company.

ok guys, so this is INSANELY nerdy, but I also did some statistical calculations on notification times. Taking the data from 2010 and 2011 applicants who had response dates recorded on our spreadsheet, I looked at the mean date of notification, the standard deviation (how far, on average, the notification dates are from the mean date), the earliest and latest dates, and the skew for the dataset (indicates whether an outlier or a concentration of responses on the low or high end pull the mean in one direction or another...a negative skew indicates that it is likely that dates past the mean are more likely to cluster closer to the mean than those before, and vice versa). I did an overall analysis, and disaggregated by region.

You can find my results here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArDtL6Kx8D_HdFBERXQxX08zX0FlSXFFQUo0ZzRrRFE#gid=0

Edited by Eric Bee

I have yet to look into Lesley, I'll take a look...

I agree with Vanderbilt, same with a few other top programs... Harvard, even Columbia...

I'm pretty much looking at the courses I'd be taking and see how interested I am in those courses, and once again, reviewing alumni stories...

Upenn has a MA in Higher Ed with a specialization in International Comm (I believe)

what schools have you researched?

I've looked at NYU, University of Texas at Austin, Vanderbilt (no go); SIT, Lesley (intercultural relations MA); U of GA, UPenn and Harvard (eh I live in Boston so it's worth a look I guess!)

I went to a small, rural, top tier women's college, so I know how great that can be, but I also learned my lesson in terms of the things you sacrifice by going to a school in a rural area. Like not being able to get to do those really cool internships/jobs/co-ops that people in NYC have access to...

I thought this link was pretty helpful when I first started out - it's specifically for people wanting to work in study abroad but they kind of summarize what's good and maybe bad about a certain program:

http://www.insidestu...e-programs.html

Edited by bdoll

I've looked at NYU, University of Texas at Austin, Vanderbilt (no go); SIT, Lesley (intercultural relations MA); U of GA, UPenn and Harvard (eh I live in Boston so it's worth a look I guess!)

I went to a small, rural, top tier women's college, so I know how great that can be, but I also learned my lesson in terms of the things you sacrifice by going to a school in a rural area. Like not being able to get to do those really cool internships/jobs/co-ops that people in NYC have access to...

I thought this link was pretty helpful when I first started out - it's specifically for people wanting to work in study abroad but they kind of summarize what's good and maybe bad about a certain program:

http://www.insidestu...e-programs.html

That website looks VERY interesting!!

THANKS!

I'm really liking NYU's program... I did this semester thing at NYU back in college and fell in love with the school/city... wasn't loving the co$t...

I'm leaning towards those broad, international education degrees like American University's, because I'm not 100% positive I'd like to go into education and I find comfort in knowing that I could branch out and my degree would work for me.

I've been told time and time again to research Columbia's program but it feels too policy-oriented for me.

What are you wanting to do with your degree?

Oh man. I really wanted to get to Romania last year for the International Romani Art Festival, which is usually held in Timisoara. I guess this year it's moving to Bucharest, though: http://www.iraf.ro/

If I'm in the Balkans in 2013, you bet I'll be there.

Are we allowed to travel beforehand? If I get the grant to Turkey, I would love to travel around Eastern Europe for a few weeks but wasn't sure what the protocols were on that. Anyone have any input?

It all depends where you're applying. Of course if you have to be around for a summer orientation in DC, you may not want to wander too far. And like someone else said, you might not get your flight reimbursed if you arrive from somewhere else you were traveling to. I'll be working in Cairo most of the summer, but I plan to arrive back in the States in late August before I'd have to fly out to Ankara. But if I find out I don't get the grant, I'll just stay in Egypt and glare angrily toward Turkey. =P

Edited by CairoKid

ok guys, so this is INSANELY nerdy, but I also did some statistical calculations on notification times. Taking the data from 2010 and 2011 applicants who had response dates recorded on our spreadsheet, I looked at the mean date of notification, the standard deviation (how far, on average, the notification dates are from the mean date), the earliest and latest dates, and the skew for the dataset (indicates whether an outlier or a concentration of responses on the low or high end pull the mean in one direction or another...a negative skew indicates that it is likely that dates past the mean are more likely to cluster closer to the mean than those before, and vice versa). I did an overall analysis, and disaggregated by region.

You can find my results here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArDtL6Kx8D_HdFBERXQxX08zX0FlSXFFQUo0ZzRrRFE#gid=0

Thank you so much! This will make my wait much easier, since I can stop getting heart attacks refreshing my inbox every 2 minutes--until April, of course. Haha.