Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Does anyone know if all notifications are coming by e-mail, or by snail mail? I'm specifically waiting to hear for the Netherlands.

People are guessing that notifications will come from the IIE by email, you will get a notification by email or hard copy from your respective country's fulbright commission depending on what they decide to do. check the spreadsheet to see what they have done in the past.

Edited by bdoll

I have visited this discussion regularly in the last few weeks, and am now emerging from the undergrowth to add a bit of new information. I applied for a junior professor research grant for Germany, and had been notified late last year that I was a finalist. Today I received a small white, agonizingly thin envelope from Berlin. My wife wasn't home yet, so I got to sit in the kitchen staring at it for an hour and a half until she arrived. While I was waiting for her, I analyzed the data from the spreadsheets. I noticed that small white envelopes last year were almost always the bearers of disappointing news. But then again, T Pain got a small white envelope from Belgium this year, and it turned out to be good--even though the New York office refused to recognize it yet. Notification this early in March seemed to indicate good things. But then again--small white envelope!

In the end, this particular small white envelope, mailed from the German-American Fulbright Commission in Berlin on 03/09/12, held an acceptance. (By the way, I have received no emails). The letter reads, in part, "This letter serves as a preliminary grant confirmation; the actual grant authorization with all additional information [read--large manila envelope] will be prepared and mailed at the beginning of April." Another piece of information--I applied for the maximum ten month grant, but was awarded five months (Sept-Feb): "Unfortunately, we could not always offer the full grant period as requested; we ask you for your understanding in view of the current budget uncertainties."

Best of luck, everyone! This forum made me anxious, but it helped, too. God bless everyone reading this--may you all succeed!!

Yep! I think they just want us to back off! Ha ha.

Mexico peeps, did you get this too?

"Dear xx, This email is to inform you of the final steps of the selection process for the 2012-2013 Fulbright-García Robles U.S. Student Grant. The results from the interview process that you participated in via Skype will be discussed by our Academic Committee next week. Once a final selection has been made in Mexico the results will be sent to the Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board in Washington D.C. for final approval. We estimate having the final results by mid- April. The Institute of International Education will contact you about you candidature as soon as the FSB gives final approval. We kindly ask that you please be patient. Saludos and all the best of luck to you, Esther M. RamosU.S. Grantee Program Officer"

Mid-April?? ARgggH! I swear they said 3/23 when I had my interview!

Edited by Adirondack

"budget uncertainties" uh oh

This is actually my bigger cause for concern. They may award a grant, but have heavy limitations on their funding, which can lead to smaller grant amounts, fewer grants, or delays in responses while they evaluate their total budget. My professor received a scholar grant much later after they saw they had some more money and was essentially in flux until then.

For research grants to southeast asia, anyone know what the range for the grant is and whether it depends on personal finances at all (savings, work, etc) ?

This is actually my bigger cause for concern. They may award a grant, but have heavy limitations on their funding, which can lead to smaller grant amounts, fewer grants, or delays in responses while they evaluate their total budget. My professor received a scholar grant much later after they saw they had some more money and was essentially in flux until then.

For research grants to southeast asia, anyone know what the range for the grant is and whether it depends on personal finances at all (savings, work, etc) ?

So does this mean they may not have the funding to fill the numer of spots that were originally allocated for each country? I'm confused...I though the funding appropriation happend in the last cycle for this year, and that's how they came up with the number of spots for the year?

So does this mean they may not have the funding to fill the numer of spots that were originally allocated for each country? I'm confused...I though the funding appropriation happend in the last cycle for this year, and that's how they came up with the number of spots for the year?

I'm not entirely sure but frankly I wouldn't doubt a change in the number of grants or grant amount if some major budget issues came up.

I'm really digging the anxiety in this forum. Seriously. It is normalizing in the most necessary way. I was on spring break last week and by Sunday, I seriously diagnosed myself with a paranoid personality disorder. Then, I remembered why I feel half-crazy: I suck at waiting. Being back in school is helping, but god, this waiting is torture. Like many of you, I'm obsessive about the mail and email and, generally, dreaming up the craziest scenarios (in one, I'm pregnant and I get put on bed rest so I can't leave for Poland--totally insane!). But seriously, not being able to plan for the future past May is painful. Everything hangs in the balance on this Fulbright decision.

So, the jist: I feel your pain and I'm adding to the shares because, well, reading about the rest of your anxiety is helping immensely.

Hang in there! Good luck. And remember: you only FEEL like you're certifiably nuts.

dgrollmus, I wake up with full-blown tummy problems because I have so much anxiety. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like they're going fully insane. Thankfully, no vivid dreams about fulbright yesterday although vivid dreams abound about other things. Looking at past spreadsheets, the UKers should know by the 3/15 or 3/16 at the latest, but jesus if we don't hear by then I don't know how I'm going to cope this weekend.

The thing is, if I get the Fulbright, I can research. I can spend a year on what I have to do. I can progress in my program. I can finish. I can write. I can get out of the department that refuses to fund me. I can show them that I'm worthy of their consideration. If I don't get it, I have to teach for another year. I will have to wait another year to research and to write. And I will get passed over for funding again because they don't care if you're finalist, they care only for winners. I will have to go through this process next year all over again. And I'm not getting any younger.

It's enough not already knowing what you're going to do past May. But this crushing feeling of anxiety that comes with knowing this email might change the entire trajectory of your career...it's all a little too much sometimes.

I'm at work right now and I can't seem to stay away!!

Quick question: Anyone worried about leaving loved ones behind, if chosen for a Fulbright?

I'll miss the boyfriend terribly if I'm gone, and hearing that long distance relationships never work is troubling. I truly believe we'll make it work and just feel this is just a little separation before we're together again.

I'll miss the boyfriend terribly if I'm gone, and hearing that long distance relationships never work is troubling. I truly believe we'll make it work and just feel this is just a little separation before we're together again.

That's not true! If you're with the right person, long distance is worth it and you can definitely make it work!! Hang in there :)

I'm at work right now and I can't seem to stay away!!

Quick question: Anyone worried about leaving loved ones behind, if chosen for a Fulbright?

I'm getting married in June, so if I manage to get the Fulbright I'll be leaving my wife behind. She'll come and visit, but it's not the same. Fortunately we have experience being apart, as I've spent upwards of 2 1/2 months at a time away from her in Italy. Skype makes things so much easier!

Won a full grant to Germany! Yes!

I was in shock when I first received that and subsequently posted, so here's a copy of the email, for those who are curious (and yes, it was indeed an email):

Dear ---,

Congratulations! We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected for a US Student Fulbright award for 2012-2013 to Germany. Shortly you will receive a letter from the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board with further details of the award. This letter will be sent to the mailing address listed in your application and noted above. This address will remain your corresponding address unless you notify us in writing (via email to your IIE Program Manager.)

In the meantime, be aware that this award is contingent upon your obtaining/receiving: satisfactory medical clearance; a bachelor's degree (if graduating this year); official research clearance from the host country, where applicable; and required visas.

Please note that all selected candidates will be required to submit a Medical History and Examination Form before your grant can be finalized. The Form must be completed and signed by a licensed physician and reviewed by the U.S. State Department for medical clearance. This form, instructions and other information pertinent to your grant will be posted on the following webpage within the next few weeks. You may wish to consider scheduling a medical appointment within the next month in order to have these forms completed in a timely manner. We urge you to visit this page regularly for important Pre-Departure information and updates. It is your responsibility to keep fully informed of and to comply with all grant award requirements.

Pre-Departure Resources: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/pregrantee_resources.html

Your IIE Program Manager will be in contact with you soon with further information on grant administration and pre-departure preparation. If, at any time in the coming months, you determine that you will not be able to accept the Fulbright award, please be sure to notify IIE immediately.

Again, congratulations on your accomplishments and we look forward to working with you.

Sincerely,

Theresa Granza

Director, U.S. Student Programs

Institute of Interntional Education

809 United Nations Plaza

New York, NY 10017

Edited by vordhosbntwin

Never say never. I've been long distance for the last year (different countries) and while it's challenging, it definitely works. The relationship is totally dependent on honesty, trust, and really good communication. But if you're willing to put in the work, I think you could find you'll actually grow closer to your boyfriend.

Won a full grant to Germany! Yes!

CONGRATS! My BFF applied for a Full to Germany--I'll tell her to check her email!

You should be really honored...SO many people apply to Germany and it's super competitive. Great job!!!

(I mean, of course it's competitive. But it seems even more competitive than other countries. I don't know. Whatever. Yay for you!)

Edited by lg702

Congratulations vordhosbntwin!!! That's awesome.

It looks like more notifications have gone out today - people are congratulating their friends on Twitter.