Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Congratulations vordhosbntwin!!! That's awesome.

It looks like more notifications have gone out today - people are congratulating their friends on Twitter.

hahah I saw that too, good to know i'm not weird for having a bookmark to the "fulbright" feed on twitter...

Edited by bdoll

Won a full grant to Germany! Yes!

I was in shock when I first received that and subsequently posted, so here's a copy of the email, for those who are curious (and yes, it was indeed an email):

Dear ---,

Congratulations! We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected for a US Student Fulbright award for 2012-2013 to Germany. Shortly you will receive a letter from the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board with further details of the award. This letter will be sent to the mailing address listed in your application and noted above. This address will remain your corresponding address unless you notify us in writing (via email to your IIE Program Manager.)

In the meantime, be aware that this award is contingent upon your obtaining/receiving: satisfactory medical clearance; a bachelor's degree (if graduating this year); official research clearance from the host country, where applicable; and required visas.

Please note that all selected candidates will be required to submit a Medical History and Examination Form before your grant can be finalized. The Form must be completed and signed by a licensed physician and reviewed by the U.S. State Department for medical clearance. This form, instructions and other information pertinent to your grant will be posted on the following webpage within the next few weeks. You may wish to consider scheduling a medical appointment within the next month in order to have these forms completed in a timely manner. We urge you to visit this page regularly for important Pre-Departure information and updates. It is your responsibility to keep fully informed of and to comply with all grant award requirements.

Pre-Departure Resources: http://us.fulbrighto..._resources.html

Your IIE Program Manager will be in contact with you soon with further information on grant administration and pre-departure preparation. If, at any time in the coming months, you determine that you will not be able to accept the Fulbright award, please be sure to notify IIE immediately.

Again, congratulations on your accomplishments and we look forward to working with you.

Sincerely,

Theresa Granza

Director, U.S. Student Programs

Institute of Interntional Education

809 United Nations Plaza

New York, NY 10017

CONGRATULATIONS! Good job! :) I'm hoping this means that MY Germany email comes today!

hahah I saw that too, good to know i'm not weird for having a bookmark to the "fulbright" feed on twitter...

Lol. Nope, not weird at all. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be informed :)

Firstly, huge congratulations to vordhosbntwin! So happy for you, and glad to see that the promised e-mails are on their way!

Secondly, to address the following:

I'm at work right now and I can't seem to stay away!!

Quick question: Anyone worried about leaving loved ones behind, if chosen for a Fulbright?

I'll miss the boyfriend terribly if I'm gone, and hearing that long distance relationships never work is troubling. I truly believe we'll make it work and just feel this is just a little separation before we're together again.

This summer my long-distance boyfriend and I will celebrate our fifth anniversary. And by long-distance, I mean transatlantic. So chin up! If it's the right person, you'll simply make it work.

Hi all, I'm a new poster. Congrats to all who have heard back and gotten awards!! Did anybody get this email today?

Dear Fulbright candidate,

This is a reminder to please arrange for your official transcript to be sent to IIE at the address below, as soon as possible. As of the date of this email, your transcript has not been received by IIE. Failure to submit in a timely manner may delay the notification and the next stage in the award process. We are missing the following transcript:

BA degree granting/expected institution

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Pam

I literally almost died. I called my undergrad institution to verify that they had sent my transcript to the correct IIE address (I seriously had them sent the same hour I was notified of my candidacy) and what do you know - they actually had. THEN I contacted "Pam" and she told me that "We literally get hundreds of transcripts - they probably got lost on our end. Just have them reissued."

Really? That seriously took a minimum of 6 months off my life. Fortunately I didn't have to experience the horror that would have been opening the email thinking it was my notification letter, since the subject heading appeared in my inbox as "Fulbrihgt application: transcript missing (WCA)" (yes, typo and all).

Hi all, I'm a new poster. Congrats to all who have heard back and gotten awards!! Did anybody get this email today?

This is a reminder to please arrange for your official transcript to be sent to IIE at the address below, as soon as possible. As of the date of this email, your transcript has not been received by IIE. Failure to submit in a timely manner may delay the notification and the next stage in the award process. We are missing the following transcript:

Sincerely,

Pam

I literally almost died. I called my undergrad institution to verify that they had sent my transcript to the correct IIE address (I seriously had them sent the same hour I was notified of my candidacy) and what do you know - they actually had. THEN I contacted "Pam" and she told me that "We literally get hundreds of transcripts - they probably got lost on our end. Just have them reissued."

Really? That seriously took a minimum of 6 months off my life. Fortunately I didn't have to experience the horror that would have been opening the email thinking it was my notification letter, since the subject heading appeared in my inbox as "Fulbrihgt application: transcript missing (WCA)" (yes, typo and all).

it sucks that now you have to reorder them, because they probably lost them

Edited by oa0176

Sincerely,

Pam

Wow... At least they notified you! This confirms my earlier post - they will not take you out of the competition because they did not receive your transcript. I am sorry for the emotional roller coaster you are experiencing. Please have some drinks after sending it again! :-)

Just heard.

I am an alternate.

Fuck fuck fuck.

Damn. So sorry to hear that! Keep your head up. A friend of mine who was a Fulbrighter to Ghana was an alternate at first. She was awarded the grant 4 days later. It is not over yet =]

Bummer... I know it's not the email you wanted but don't lose hope. I spend way to much time reading past year threads and there have been bunches of alternates turned accepted.

Edited by Biz