Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

So... Finally after following this thread maniacally for months, I've decided to post! I kind of felt like I was going to jinx myself or something when posting here (like the Gods would shun me for even discussing Fulbright and not leaving it up to fate, I don't know, I'm paranoid...)

I've been recommended for a full grant to Morocco. Glad to see another MENA hopeful checking the forum knowing that our decisions still won't come out for a while. I finally broke down and e-mailed Jermaine for a timeline as to when Morocco candidates would find out (as if I didn't already have an idea from the spreadsheet... :P) earlier this month, because I got accepted to an Arabic language fellowship in Qatar and wanted to see how all of my options would pan out. But of course, the time frame to find out about Morocco is mid-March to mid-April... And I have to respond to the Qatar program today. It'll be a no. I just feel like waiting for an answer from Fulbright is much more worth it than saying yes to a program because I'm too anxious about the next step in my life. SIIIIIGHHHH.... Oh Fulbright...

Wow, that's a very tough decision. I really wanted to apply to Morocco but was deterred by the fact that ETA applicants must have teaching experience and should be working on a Masters or a PhD (which I'm not). Jordan seemed more open to those of us with a mere Bachelors.

How many ETA Germany finalists were there and what percentage do they actually take?

So far, from what I have heard, they have taken a total of 280 and will have to trim that down to half that number (140). Which means, everyone starts with a generic 50% probability (then this gets adjusted by varying factors based on individual traits).

Ok, time for me to stop my OCD trolling and post. I am a Ph.D. candidate full applicant to Brazil. My anxiety level is seriously getting out of hand, but (incessantly) checking this forum has helped (make it worse).

Late last night I learned that one of my committee members (professor of geography) has received a Fulbright to Brazil for the fall so I assume Brazil is just MERE MOMENTS away from notifying ETAs and full grant applicants. They have to be. RIGHT?? Right.

I don't know when he learned the news.

Now I am alternately paranoid I won't be selected/more hopeful I will be selected because he was one of my letter of recommendation authors. When will the madness end?

Sure, there's always a chance. But compared to the rest of the region, Jordan has seemingly figured out a way to keep things quiet. I'd actually like to be there in a time of moderate unrest (though certainly not if it was on the scale of what is happening in Syria). My first choice was the West Bank ETA, but that got shut down last summer before the applications were even due. My biggest concern is what considerable unrest would do to the Fulbright program, as it doesn't seem like it continues to operate in unstable countries.

Hi twobitrye, that's awesome that you're a finalist for Jordan, I have spent some time there and really love it.

If you are interested in teaching English to Palestinian kids, I help run a program that operates in the refugee camps of Lebanon ( www.leapsummerprogram.org ) every summer for the month of July. It's a really great way to learn a lot about the refugee situation, while helping Middle school kids prepare for the Lebanese high school entrance exam, which is administered in English, and which almost the majority of kids fail, ending their education at age 13.

If you do get the grant (insha'allah) and you want to come to the region earlier, or stay later next summer, you should consider coming and teaching in Lebanon!

If you (or anyone else) are interested, feel free to contact me at amir@leapsummerprogram.org

Ok, time for me to stop my OCD trolling and post. I am a Ph.D. candidate full applicant to Brazil. My anxiety level is seriously getting out of hand, but (incessantly) checking this forum has helped (make it worse).

Late last night I learned that one of my committee members (professor of geography) has received a Fulbright to Brazil for the fall so I assume Brazil is just MERE MOMENTS away from notifying ETAs and full grant applicants. They have to be. RIGHT?? Right.

Now I am alternately paranoid I won't be selected/more hopeful I will be selected because he was one of my letter of recommendation authors. When will the madness end?

Finally another person waiting on Brazil---! I hope we find out soon. I hear it's usually between March, 15 and April, 15th--- so soon!

So, I know this isn't the place, but figure I might as well ask anyway...

(I think it's an appropriate question to ask a Fulbright crowd)

I'm thinking a PhD in International Education (PhD, specifically because of funding)

However, I'm not too sure as to what "research interests" I have in this field as my BA is in Psychology

After researching programs for the past 2 years, I'm narrowed it down to a few MA and PhD

Should I have a concrete research plan when applying to PhD programs?

Do I even stand a chance of acceptance despite my limited background in education?

Should I apply for a MA program, even though I'd be self-funding?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm working on my Plan B in case Portugal ETA doesn't work out!

:)

ANY advice will be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking a PhD in International Education (PhD, specifically because of funding)

However, I'm not too sure as to what "research interests" I have in this field as my BA is in Psychology

After researching programs for the past 2 years, I'm narrowed it down to a few MA and PhD

Do I even stand a chance of acceptance despite my limited background in education?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm working on my Plan B in case Portugal ETA doesn't work out!

My understanding (as a soon-to-be-applicant to PhD programs myself) is that the research proposal/interests is a big part of your application, and taken very seriously. I think you should think seriously about why you want to do this degree if you don't know specifically what your interests in the field are, as the PhD is primarily an academic degree, designed around and training for research. I know the masters is not funded, but that may be what you need, if your goal is to be a practitioner. There are also a ton of funding opportunities out there. I am just finishing up a Masters in Public Policy and a Masters in Urban Planning myself, and I got over half my tuition paid through various fellowships. You should maybe talk to a professor or academic advisor at a school you're interested in (they *should* be happy to talk to you, otherwise, don't go there), and ask them about it

For the Fulbright applicants to Indonesia - I just stumbled upon some information that made me happy and a little bit more confident about getting the award. Apparently, 40 to 50 ETA grants will be awarded instead of 35 (as stated on the main US website for Fulbright). Also, the start/end date for the grant is mentioned: 5 August 2012 to 13 May 2013, which is great to know since I mentioned in my work contract that I would leave early should I get the Fulbright (I was very optimistic!) if the dates overlapped (which they do, I end on 18 Aug...).

Here is the link: http://www.aminef.or...e&catid=2&id=54.

I am BEYOND jealous of those of you who are able to find so much program info on your host countries. Applying to Hong Kong has been like wading through a dark, mysterious mist. Though I am a little worried at seeing how finite those Indonesian start/end dates are....I always assumed that I would have some flexibility regarding the exact dates of my arrival and departure. Does anyone have more info on how arrival/departure dates work for independent researchers? I know it's generally expected that we'll go sometime in August/September depending on the country, but are the actual dates chosen for us?

For non-Indonesian/Malay speakers "Pontianak" is something loosely translated like "the zombie vampire of a woman who died while pregnant". Kuching just means "cat."

Thank you for this. THIS. IS. HILARIOUS!

Edited by Lia19

Did anyone see this awhile back on the Europe/Eurasia page?

"New ETA Programs are available in 2012-13 in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Cyprus, Georgia, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro and Serbia."

I wonder what that means....

How many ETA Germany finalists were there and what percentage do they actually take?

according to this link, about 1.5 to 2 times the number of candidates are recommended as there are grants (see #3).

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/info_recommended_candidates.html

according to this link, last year there were 349 applicants to the germany ETA program, and 140 grants awarded; it also says there are 140 grants available this year. that means that we can assume that, last year and this year, approximately 210 to 280 applicants were recommended of the original applicant pool, and of those, one has probably a little bit better than a 50% chance of being awarded a grant.

https://us.fulbrightonline.org/statistics_country_europe.html

so, not the exact numbers, but probably pretty close... hope that helps... :-/

a few thoughts:

- usually you do the MA first, at least as far as the humanities go. PhD's without a master's is a hard sciences thing. so yes, you should be looking at MA programs to start.

- MA programs can be funded also, especially if you are willing to teach. i didn't pay anything for my MA, and paid very little via student loans for my PhD to make ends meet. i've just been teaching as a TA the entire time, which has a tuition waiver.

- yes, you should have a fairly concrete research idea in place for a PhD application; that's what they will be looking for in an application. it's understandable that you don't have anything concrete yet because you only have a BA. that's why you should get an MA first. it will give you an opportunity to try out grad school and learn more about the field. if you don't like it, you'll still have an upper level degree that less than 20% of the population has. if you do like it, you'll be prepared to apply to PhD programs with a tight research proposal in place.

hope this helps!

"New ETA Programs are available in 2012-13 in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Cyprus, Georgia, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro and Serbia."

If I recall correctly, that's been up since the summer. I remember seeing that list when I was trying to decide where to apply.

(I'm new, by the way. Waiting to hear back about an ETA to Bulgaria. Would like to spend my free time collecting oral histories focusing on identity development for young (under 30) Bulgarians or so, especially in queer communities.)

I've been looking into this, too. Most PhD programs I've seen require a Masters from the beginning, but as a previous poster mentioned, there are ways to earn tuition remission. While I initially started out looking at Int'l Ed, I switched my focus to Higher Ed. Admin. Within HEA programs, there seems to be a lot of flexibility for earning-- you might teach/TA, but internships are often available in other areas on campus. Plus, many HEA programs allow you to specify an area of interest, like international education. So that may be something for you to look into.

Until very recently, SIT Graduate Institute partnered with Peace Corps Masters International to offer an MA in Intl Ed, but it looks like they've cut that program in favor of other Master's Intl degrees... bummer. NYU looks like it has a great program, too.

Your professor probably has the fulbright scholar grant---they are usually given to more senior faculty. i'm going nuts, too. feel uneasy and a bit depressed....

... That there are new ETA programs in those countries this year...? I'm really not sure what you're asking here.

Edited by bdoll

I've been looking into this, too. Most PhD programs I've seen require a Masters from the beginning, but as a previous poster mentioned, there are ways to earn tuition remission. While I initially started out looking at Int'l Ed, I switched my focus to Higher Ed. Admin. Within HEA programs, there seems to be a lot of flexibility for earning-- you might teach/TA, but internships are often available in other areas on campus. Plus, many HEA programs allow you to specify an area of interest, like international education. So that may be something for you to look into.

Until very recently, SIT Graduate Institute partnered with Peace Corps Masters International to offer an MA in Intl Ed, but it looks like they've cut that program in favor of other Master's Intl degrees... bummer. NYU looks like it has a great program, too.

Busti, perhaps I have misunderstood the situation, but it looks like you are considering applying for a Ph.D program without doing a master's degree first. Assuming that is the scenario--here are some thoughts.

I agree with Eternal Icicle and smurfgurl. Don't forget that getting a Ph.D usually requires demonstration of a mastery of the whole field, as well as your particular thesis. Doing a master's degree first allows you to lay the groundwork for that, and therefore makes life easier in completing the Ph.D. It also lets you nose around the field for a while and figure out a really great topic for your thesis. Also, getting admitted to a Ph.D program is more likely with a master's degree in hand. It shows you've paid your dues, it gives the admissions committee more of a record for them to make a decision, and it also gives them a stronger rationale for admittance. If the admissions committee admits someone with just a BA for a Ph.D. program, and then the student fails, then the admissions committee might start to get some questions about their own competence. That makes them tougher on BA applicants from the get-go. You'd better be some sort of rock star to jump from BA to Ph.D at an elite institution (figuratively speaking--I'm not sure of just how successful most rock stars would be in doctoral program applications). :-) All around, everything just seems to go more smoothly if you go from BA to master's and then to Ph.D. If anyone remembers driving a stick shift, it's like working up through the gears--jumping from second to fourth gear can be jolting.

Consider too--it might be easier to get into the master's program than the Ph.D program at the university of your choice. Once in-house, so to speak, one can often make a transition to the Ph.D. program at that university much more readily than someone applying cold from the outside. After all, you've already got a master's degree from their own institution. How can they denigrate that? That was the advice I received at Oxford, and that's exactly how it worked out.

Edited by Garden De-gnomer