Javits 09-10

engguy

The deadline for this is quickly approaching, and I wondered if anyone has any knowledge of this fellowship and can advise on whether I should bother to apply. My situation is this:

I am in the first year of a PhD in English; I have the best fellowship the school has to offer, which amounts to $22k a year with TA stipend for 4 years; I have a perfect GPA from graduate school and a number of publications and awards. The main thing I'm concerned about is that my f-ship will, if not disqualify me, at least push my app to the bottom of the pile. I'm very busy, needless to say, and don't want to bother with this if I have no shot.

Anyone know the ins and outs of the Javits process care to share?

thanks

Well, that's my question; I've never done this before. I've never filled out a FAFSA. I am eligible for loans -- some of my classmates have loans, in addition to TA stipend / fellowships. There's nothing at all that I can see on the eligibility requirements that prevents people who have funding from applying for a Javitts as well. I just don't know if they would look at that, and, as you have, wonder why i'm applying. Javitts is offered to incoming PhD's as well as those who haven't yet completed their first years...

personally, I wouldn't take money that I didn't need in this case. I'm thinking about Ph.D students who get no funding vs. me who has no extra costs. Maybe I'd have more incentive if it could be used as pocket change, but the principle of even that is something I'm glad I don't have to consider.

In terms of qualification, I've heard it's somewhat common that one fellowship opens up the floodgates for more. Now, I don't know if that means that those who have fellowships are more qualified in some way, but one could assume that, like GPA is a signal, so are fellowships.

I know someone who gets pretty much every fellowship she applies for, something in excess of 100K that she can't touch unless costs come up. Though she's finished all her grad work, she just picks up another disipline so she can use it instead of just telling them she doesn't need it. She even complained that they wouldn't just give her the balance. She can be greedy that way.

But the bottom line is, unless it's stated, there is no way to tell what people will do with your app, but if knowing that you could have a nice chunk of change just to have in your pockets (as hard as good money is to come by) then go for it. I've never heard of this particular fellowship, so I'm not sure what the rules are, but if you have no additional costs, and you can only use this fellowship to cover such costs, then don't apply. Just as the woman I described above, you'd be just sitting on money that you can't have until you create costs for it. It should bein the hands of someone who had immediate need for it. Plus, as you mentioned, you're busy, and might not want to make yourself more busy to get the money (not on the front end but the back).

• 3 months later...

Personally, I'm feeling all the same anticipation waiting for fellowship app. decisions as I did during last years grad school app. session. Anyone else applied for this besides me? (Hope not :D ) What are your stats. and GPA? First year grad student or applying? What programs and degrees? GRE?

I've applied for the fellowship to do PhD studies in musicology. Here are my basic stats:

UGPA: 3.5

GGPA: 4.0

670V

720Q

4.0AW

I have a publication in a peer-reviewed academic journal, which is based on a presentation given on a regional conference; a major publisher in Germany has also expressed interest in a book project of mine. I have two years experience as a program annotator (a position that doesn't mean much except that I get paid to write). I also have two years TAing experience, and three years experience as a public school teacher.

Probably not too fierce competition; oh well ?

I also applied to the Javits (it seems so long ago now...) for contemporary Art History. You can read my stats over on the GC blog: http://thegradcafe.com/blog/

I'm hopeful but realistic. Ranking applicants even within fields can often be utterly random, and sometimes downright useless. They do offer an explicit quantitative rubric of the areas they will assess in the app, which is a welcome bit of transparency in the typically opaque realm of fellowship applications. However, the app also states that they take into account financial need, while not including that area of assessment in the rubric. Go figure.

I applied too but I don't know what my chances are.. I know you're supposed to fill out the FAFSA by Jan 31, but it says in order to fill out the FAFSA, you need your W-2 form from 2008.. what if it doesn't come by Jan 31?! Do you know what you're supposed to do if it doesn't come in on time??

you can fill out the FAFSA before you've filed your taxes, which is usually necessary to meet the early deadlines - you fill everything out to the best of your knowledge (I used last year's paystubs to estimate) and you indicate that you will file but have not yet filed your returns (that's one of the questions). once your taxes are filed, you go back to edit and indicate that you've filed (you'll see that as part of the e-mailed instructions after submission.) it can certainly change the EFC, but I've found it's minor, because I generally can estimate my income and the like. I hope that helps!

• 1 month later...

i haven't heard anything...but dear hotep, where are you getting your information??? it sounds right, since on the javits application they say that they will notify by March 1. i just wonder if you have the inside track on something...

UGH my plan was to wait until 5 PM today (Monday) and then give up hope entirely. But because of this snow, the Dept of Ed people might have a snow day...so now I have to keep hope alive until 5 PM tomorrow! Just put me out of my misery.

Bleargh