Current vs New GRE

Webster

Hey all,

I am applying for Sociology MA programs Fall 2012. I was thinking of taking the GRE this summer. I know the new version starts August 1. I have done some research on the new one and found that they'll virtually be the same, just a calculator on screen which means harder math problems I'm sure. Has anyone heard anything about any other differences??? Should I take the current one or the new one in August??? Thanks!

I took the old version few months ago and had to take the experimental section which was the new verbal GRE. The new verbal seemed easier because I didn't have to deal with annoying analogies nor antonyms. The new GRE is strictly fill in the blanks. Each question will have 2 to 4 sentences with 3 to 4 blanks each and you have to make sure all the blanks are correct to get full credit (I think? I don't remember the scoring rules). Check out the new verbal on ETS website and see if feel comfortable to take it. If you have been memorizing just the vocab and not comfortable using these words based on context clues within the sentences, the old GRE may give you a better score.

Edited by Teelee

I have been looking into the new GRE as well. Personally I think it will benefit me from the small calculator on the side of the screen as I make a lot of stupid math mistakes. So I will likely be taking the new one as a small calculator and less word memorization will benefit me personally.

Some other differences I have read about include:

• Will not be able to choose between two topics on the essay
  • Less geometry on the math section ( pity as I like geometry. )
  • More reading comp on the verbal and no analogies and antonyms as mentioned above.

The decision is up to you but I would consider your personal strengths and weaknesses when deciding. Plus I think the new one is cheaper for the first month though you wont get scores till November. Meaning if your applying this year maybe score receipt time may become a factor depending on your application deadlines.

Edited by queller

The new GRE is half price for the first two months, so if you can afford it you may take the old version in the summer and if you aren't satisfied with the score, take the new version during that trial period. There are rules as to when you can retake. I think you just can't take it twice in the same calendar month with the old GRE but I heard its changing for the new. If you go this route just double check that you can take it again during August or September.

The new GRE is half price for the first two months, so if you can afford it you may take the old version in the summer and if you aren't satisfied with the score, take the new version during that trial period. There are rules as to when you can retake. I think you just can't take it twice in the same calendar month with the old GRE but I heard its changing for the new. If you go this route just double check that you can take it again during August or September.

The current policy is indeed that you can take the exam once per calendar month, so you are allowed to take the new exam in August even if you take the old exam in July. However, once the switch to new exam occurs, the policy will change from once a month, to once every 60 days. This is a significantly longer period in between tests, so make sure you plan accordingly.

As for the differences between the tests, a lot of what is mentioned above is correct. For more info, we have cataloged a full breakdown of the differences here: http://www.manhattangre.com/newGRE.cfm. This page is fairly detailed and should answer all of your questions. I hope that helps!

Best Regards,

Taylor

Edited by Tdearr

This is more of a general question, but as far as i can tell they aren't offering the old GRE anymore. I've tried to look at as many websites as I can and it seems as thought the last date for the old one was back in february unless of course i'm reading it incorrectly which is possible. Is anyone registered to take it this summer before the new one comes out?

Thanks

On a related note, I know the "old" GRE scores were valid for five years. Does anyone know if that will continue to apply now that there's the new version?

My first post! Im studying for the old GRE now. I heard the new GRE will be more complex and one hour longer. One thing I know for sure is the sentence completion section is different. Now there will be two to three blanks for each question and four multiple choice answers for each blank. In order to receive credit for the question you must get all the blanks correct, there is no partial credit. With the old GRE the sentence completion is two blanks with four multiple answer choices for both blanks.

I took the old GRE a year ago and HATED it because the computer program they used was ridiculously old fashioned. For example, when you're writing your essays, the 'tab' button on the keyboard cannot even create a tab space on your screen. I also hated the fact that you couldn't see how many questions you've completed compared to the total number the test would be giving you, and the analogies and antonyms tested you on so many random vocabulary words there was no garauntee you could know the definitions of all the choices to even be able to answer an analogy question!

The new GRE uses a more technologically advanced program (or so it seems), and it allows you to look at the total number of questions in a section. You can even go back to answer previous questions if you still have time during your section. I say, along with the 50% offer, that it would be well worth taking the new GRE versus the old version.

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. I've been lurking around since yesterday and I'm already getting all anxious about the GRE, the SoP, my writing sample...

I too will be applying this year for a PhD. Since for the MA submitting GRE scores was optional I didn't take it and kinda regret it. Probably the scores wouldn't have been great, but at least I would have an idea of what to expect.

I took the SATs circa 2002, but I'm pretty sure it's a completely different test. Anyways, I took the paper based exam (I don't even know if there was or is a computer-based one) and it was terrible! We had to wait for everyone to be done with a section in order to move to the next one, the room was too crowded, and I found it very hard to concentrate. I didn't do bad and got accepted to my first choice but still, I hated the test so much I wish I didn't have to take a standardized test ever again. Unfortunately, my nightmare is back.

I bought the official guide to the new GRE and started reading it today. It appears that the computer-based one has features that allow you to go back to questions you mark as 'mark and review', there's also a sort of menu where you can see the questions you've answered, the ones that you haven't and the incomplete ones. As per the essay part, the word processor is pretty basic but it allows you to undo previous action, copy, cut and paste.

I guess I will take the computer based one, also because the official guide comes with a simulated test CD. Based on your previous GRE experience, would you say the paper-based is better than the computer-based or the other way around?

I took the current ('old') GRE earlier this month and while it wasn't easy, I am glad I took it. The experimental section of my test featured what I believed to be a sample of the "new' one and had an on-screen calculator. It was REALLY hard and stressed me out, but everyone takes tests differently so I would assess your strengths and weaknesses as far as test taking.

Another major difference, is that if you need your scores in the Fall you should take the current GRE. If you take the new GRE you will not get official scores until sometime in November if you take the test in August or September. So if your application deadlines are Dec. 1 or in Nov I would take the current, otherwise you are taking a chance that your scores will not come back in time for your application because the school needs official scores to complete your application.

Another major difference, is that if you need your scores in the Fall you should take the current GRE. If you take the new GRE you will not get official scores until sometime in November if you take the test in August or September. So if your application deadlines are Dec. 1 or in Nov I would take the current, otherwise you are taking a chance that your scores will not come back in time for your application because the school needs official scores to complete your application.

You're not the first person I've heard this from, but none of the schools I intend to apply to haven't even updated their application deadlines for Fall 2012. I would like to at least be able to create an application timeline for my personal use, but without any actual dates, I feel like I'm just shooting in the dark at this point. Does anyone have an idea of when schools normally update their application deadlines for the next admission cycle?

This is more of a general question, but as far as i can tell they aren't offering the old GRE anymore. I've tried to look at as many websites as I can and it seems as thought the last date for the old one was back in february unless of course i'm reading it incorrectly which is possible. Is anyone registered to take it this summer before the new one comes out?

I have registered to take the current/old GRE 2 weeks ago.I will take it on June.

On a related note, I know the "old" GRE scores were valid for five years. Does anyone know if that will continue to apply now that there's the new version?

Yes,scores of current/old GRE are still valid for 5 years.ETS has stated that on their website.They also explained that grad schools will still receive scores for both old and new GRE for a period of time untill all the scores of the old GRE get invalid.

I took the old version few months ago and had to take the experimental section which was the new verbal GRE.

Was it a research section or an experimental section?

I have read that the GRE can display 2 unmarked sections that won't count to your final score.A research section and an experimental section.In case of the research section,the test tells you the coming section is a research one.However,in case of an experimental section,you won't even know whether it was part of your test or not.

You're not the first person I've heard this from, but none of the schools I intend to apply to haven't even updated their application deadlines for Fall 2012. I would like to at least be able to create an application timeline for my personal use, but without any actual dates, I feel like I'm just shooting in the dark at this point. Does anyone have an idea of when schools normally update their application deadlines for the next admission cycle?

With my past experience, most schools update their application dates/process during the summer. Their dates and procedures are usually the same as the previous year, so I would go by last year's dates until they update it for the coming year.

I have registered to take the current/old GRE 2 weeks ago.I will take it on June.

Yes,scores of current/old GRE are still valid for 5 years.ETS has stated that on their website.They also explained that grad schools will still receive scores for both old and new GRE for a period of time untill all the scores of the old GRE get invalid.

if you don't mind me asking where are you taking it (i.e. country/state)? I keep getting an error message when i look for dates.

FYI i ended up still getting error messages when i went to register for the general test in june so i just called them and did it over the phone. Done in ten min

Cool!

I will take it on June 28th,when will you take yours?

When are your application deadlines for? If you need any by November/December time bear in mind that ETS state that taking the new test may result in scores being reported later than usual.

When are your application deadlines for? If you need any by November/December time bear in mind that ETS state that taking the new test may result in scores being reported later than usual.

Could you please post the link where you read that?

well i was really calling to just ask a question and got sort of startled when they told me when i wanted to take it. I wasn't exactly prepared. So june 2nd which is really really soon. >.<