Is it really too late now to hope for a PhD program?

Hi!

I am a student in B. Tech. + M. Tech. Integrated program in Biotechnology at IIT Madras, India.

I had been clueless about my plans after the 5 year course gets over, but now that my third year has ended, I am feeling a bit inclined towards a PhD. There's a problem in it though - my record in the program has been merely satisfactory and I haven't really gone that deep into my field! I still have a year and a half to apply to universities in the USA and thought I'd start moving in this direction.

What can I do to differentiate my profile in Biotech now? What are the options? I have not been a part of any research fellowship programs, took up a project under any of my prof. or did anything to really explore the subject by getting my hands dirty. [Writing this down itself makes me feel more miserable :(].

I am not worried about my understanding of my subject - because It's a matter of three months for me to go through the entire program in a much fuller way. What I'm worried about is my profile. I am a 7.05 on a 10 point CGPA scale with no other differentiating items in Biotech! What are the routes from here?

1) Apply to the mid range Univs and be happy with any where I am able to go?

2) Work with a startup after my program in the field of Biotech?

3) Join a research fellowship after this?

4) Take up internships and projects under Profs. right now?

Clueless and distraught because of the sudden realization. OMG! :D Please help!

It depends on a lot, but from what I understand, adcoms like to see improvement. So average grades in your first year(s) aren't that bad, as long as you start getting really good grades from now on. So I would definitely focus part of my time on that if I were you. Additionally, I think option 4 is a good idea - if it is possible, get research experience. It will look good on your application but more importantly, it will help you to better understand what research entails and what direction (if any) you would want to do it in.

In my opinion option number 1 is important regardless - a position at one of the top universities is not only difficult to get even with a very, very strong application, but it is quite possibly not even the best place for you to be. Fit (i.e. sharing research interests with your prof) seems to be much more important, for both graduate succes and happiness. And getting a position at a mid range universities is, these years, an impressive feat anyway - there are more qualified applicants than places for any program, from what I gather.

Good luck!

Dont worry about things you cant change (previous grades). Just focus to get research experience. Dont only apply to mid-ranked schools. Throw one or two schools that are out of your reach and fit your research interest, just in case you get in :)

I think you should focus on getting research projects/independent studies with a professor.

I feel you should take up research projects and internships in these one or two years if possible, try to improve your future grades and present a few papers at conferences. IIT Madras gives you ample opportunity to present conference papers. Make use of it. Besides, try and see if you can get at least one or two papers published in an international journal.

You should also be clear about the area you want to research in the US and find a professor whose area of expertise fits your research interests. With all this, you can have one or two well-known universities in your list, besides a few universities from the lower rungs.

Dont worry about things you cant change (previous grades). Just focus to get research experience. Dont only apply to mid-ranked schools. Throw one or two schools that are out of your reach and fit your research interest, just in case you get in :)

I think you should focus on getting research projects/independent studies with a professor.

Sorry, please read this post. The above post is an error and somehow I can't delete it. My post was addressed to the realwinster.

I feel you should take up research projects and internships in these one or two years if possible, try to improve your future grades and present a few papers at conferences. IIT Madras gives you ample opportunity to present conference papers. Make use of it. Besides, try and see if you can get at least one or two papers published in an international refereed journal.

You should also be clear about the area you want to research in the US and find a professor whose area of expertise fits your research interests. With all this, you can have one or two well-known universities in your list, besides a few universities from the lower rungs.

Edited by Seeking

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Brother.......just like me u r a confused IITian...well I am frm IITG....n about to complete M.Sc in Chemistry...(did my masters frm IITG)....So here's the story...I applied in top US univ. this fall (like U Wisc. , U Maryland etc) got rejected....as expected beforehand......got 1410 in GRE old format ( 3 in Analytical Writting....a blunder)...106 in TOEFL....8.83/10 CGPA....everythng was good.....but sumthng very imp. was missing.....research exp. only abt 3 month during apps.......which was the major deciding factor that rejected my apps.....I will try again next fall with abt 8 months research exp. ..nd possibly a publication in International Journal (abt to send now)....nd will also try to get a above 80% score in GRE Chemistry test.....most importantly apply to middle ranked universities...

So..here's the suggestion...(wht I feel shud be your priority at present..nd listed according 2 decreasing priority)

1. Try to take as much research projects as u can over next 1.5 years..just work for sumone..sumthng you r comfi with nd want 2 work in future....VERY IMPORTANT

2. Score 100 in TOEFL..VERY IMPORTANT for international apps..as there u have 2 teach undergrads...nd graduate committee particularly values TOEFL score for int. apps......not GRE

3. Appear for GRE Biochemistry exam..try to score above 70 percentile....( I dont think there is a test for Biotech.)....this will strengthen your apps...

4. In GRE decent score will do...no idea wht is a decent score in new format...

5. Dont apply to very higher ranked universities....coz of ur CGPA....try to increase ur CGPA to 7.5....nd apply to middle ranked US universities......

Edited by ah233

5. Dont apply to very higher ranked universities....coz of ur CGPA....try to increase ur CGPA to 7.5....nd apply to middle ranked US universities......

Thanks man! Appreciate the effort! Will reply to this post in a while. I am actually working on my summer schedule for catching up on the last two years of work. Really liked your suggestions about planning for the next one and a half year.

As a slightly offtopic and insincere question, are Oxbridge, EPFL, MIT, Harvard, Cornell, JHU are all out of the question now? :D I mean, I am somewhat convinced I might not be applying for a program straightaway after my graduation, so is there nothing that can make up for that GPA? C'mon man, those courses were elementary :D If I do well in my masters courses and research experience, doesn't it automatically tell people that I have caught up on my elementary courses?

So, there are two parts to this question:

1) Do I permanently forget the high ranked (and highly endowed/funded/better networked univs)

2) Making up for my elementary courses is enough or not? Or even if they do realize that I have paid my dues, will they select someone else over me if he/she has been consistent throughout the program? [That is, All other things being equal.]

U can....I am not saying u shud forget.... earlier in this topic sumone has said....apply to one or two out of reach universities by fitting ur research interests in our SOP...I agree with the guy.....who knows a fit in research interest might get u in...

and a consistent performer is always preferred....but ultimately a decent CGPA will do for u, if you have loads of research interest......

nd I think if you want to go top universities try for top public universities like Wisconsin, Penn State, UCLA , U Illinois-Urbana Champagne etc....they might not be as prestigious as Ivy Leagues or JHU ( JHU is best in world in bio)...but believe me the quality of research is as good as Ivy League...might even be better..and they are a tad easier to get into w.r.t Ivy Leagues...

Edited by ah233

From my experience, grades are "nice", and I use that term loosely, but advisers like to see effort, experience, results, organization, flexibility, discipline, etc... and good GRE scores wouldn't hurt :P

LORs are vital to pursue a Ph.D in your respective field. And definitely don't give up. I had mediocre grades, but I have 3 years of research experience. It's helped, a lot. My program was full-time research, part time classes. heh. And it was a well-known univ too

Edited by Dante311