Admission stats for geoscience

Kitkat

I know that there is a limited amount you should depend on admission numbers from year to year. It really depends on lab fit and everything else that you hand in with your application. But does anyone have a general how though it is to get into a Ph.D. graduate program, possibly if you know, compared to other programs in general at any given school? From what I can tell, from results here and other sources, it is somewhat easier to get in to Earth Science/Geology/Geosciences then other programs based on the numbers alone, but might be made harder based on fit and the like. It seems like it is harder to tell just because it is a smaller field then many other sciences.

I mention this after looking at the small results pages for the geo fields and am wondering how accurate that is, I don't want to get my hopes up. The people who were similar to me in numbers might have had a lot more exp then me in research, better SoPs, better fit, then me for all I know. Want to know what other people are thinking.

• 4 weeks later...

Judging from the profiles from PhysicsGRE.com, much easier than both physics and astro grad schools.

Suffices to say that there are physics majors who get rejected by almost all of their physics schools, and yet still get in some TOP geoscience programs.

Edited by InquilineKea