Chance me for top 10

TheGodfather

Ok so I need someone to chance me for a top 10 acceptance.

3.8 Chem GPA (Physical, Organic, general, quantiative analysis, Inorganic, several semesters of research for credit)

3.9 Overall

2 years of research experience(currently)- Well known prof who will write me a golden letter

70%ile Chem GRE

780Q 640V

Have an REU gig this summer (I plan on earning another good letter)

will apply Fall 2012

I am interested in either inorganic or materials

3.8 Chem GPA (Physical, Organic, general, quantiative analysis, Inorganic, several semesters of research for credit)

3.9 Overall

2 years of research experience(currently)- Well known prof who will write me a golden letter

70%ile Chem GRE

780Q 640V

will apply Fall 2012

Better retake that GRE and improve your GPA.

3.9 Overall

70%ile Chem GRE

780Q 640V

will apply Fall 2012

You should be picking professors you want to work, or professors that you know can get you a job or postdoc that you want. Not schools by ranking.

Your stats are pretty similar to mine (maybe a little lower, but they are certainly reasonable), and I was successful with most of my applications. I think as long as you have a good research fit with the profs at the schools you're applying to, you've got a decent chance at the top tier.

You should be picking professors you want to work, or professors that you know can get you a job or postdoc that you want. Not schools by ranking.

I agree. The rankings are based on research. Top schools do better research. There are better researchers at the better schools who will be able to get me a job (better than at lower ranked schools).

I agree. The rankings are based on research. Top schools do better research. There are better researchers at the better schools who will be able to get me a job (better than at lower ranked schools).

This is not entirely true. You need to figure out exactly what you want to do (subdiscipline and specialty) and then find the school that offers the best program. Some lower ranked schools become very prominent when one considers specialties (example: UC Riverside/UC Irvine in Atmospheric Chemistry).

What do you want to do with your life?

I would like to have my own lab at a R1 institution. I am extremely interested in synthetic inorganic chemistry, and I want to do research on macromolecular synthetic methods . I am also interested in photosensitization of electrodes using nanoparticles. Anyway, I realize that it isn't at all necessary to graduate from a big name but it certainly can be helpful, considering the type of employment I seek. But from what it sounds like, my stats aren't quite there. Really though how much can I possibly improve a 3.8 chem GPA with only one year left? And what does my GRE need to be at, anyway? I've heard the subject test isn't as big of a deal beacuse most of the highest scorers are foriegn students whose curricula emphasize standardized testing, and adcoms know this. I really didn't study too hard for it for that reason. I really appreciate the responses, guys.

I would like to have my own lab at a R1 institution. I am extremely interested in synthetic inorganic chemistry, and I want to do research on macromolecular synthetic methods . I am also interested in photosensitization of electrodes using nanoparticles. Anyway, I realize that it isn't at all necessary to graduate from a big name but it certainly can be helpful, considering the type of employment I seek. But from what it sounds like, my stats aren't quite there. Really though how much can I possibly improve a 3.8 chem GPA with only one year left? And what does my GRE need to be at, anyway? I've heard the subject test isn't as big of a deal beacuse most of the highest scorers are foriegn students whose curricula emphasize standardized testing, and adcoms know this. I really didn't study too hard for it for that reason. I really appreciate the responses, guys.

Is this what motivates you: http://pubs.acs.org/cen/education/8139/8139education1.html ?

Your stats are fine. Better than mine were. Just make sure you have good letters of reference (hint: people from NAS help a ton).

Don't stress, it's unbecoming a future R01 professor.