Place to go (other board?) for people thinking of jumping ship?

triceratops

All right, usual sob story here. After a rockin' masters (3.94 or something), I got a B in the first year of PhD :-( The comps went really well, though, and vindicated the B class somewhat with two great papers on the same subject matter. A B, two A's and two A-'s later, I'm thinking that any job search team will choke on their donuts after viewing my transcript.

Why not pack it up? I'm a good amateur linux programmer, maybe that'll get me somewhere. I don't play instruments, so busking is sorta out of the question :-( I don't do clown birthday parties either :-(

Is there a subforum or other forum for people who've realized halfway through their PhD that they just not going to make it on the job market? I'd like to hear from those who packed it up, are able to manage their debts without gambling or money laundering, and have found something else interesting to do. I just don't see the point in finishing if I'm going to be a weak candidate.

Others will vouch for this, but I've consistently read that grades don't matter on the job market. If you can publish, write a good dissertation, get teaching experience, and present yourself and your work well at job talks, interviews, etc. nobody will care that you got a B instead of an A in coursework.

Now, if you truly do consider yourself a 'weak candidate' regardless of the grades, and don't have the passion anymore for academia, by all means, do what you think would make you happier. But if you're still enjoying your academic life, and are funded, I don't see why you should quit now.

Agreed—is the issue that you don't feel that you're doing well in your classes and not putting forth strong research? Or is the issue simply the letter on the transcript?

In the former case, then it's wise of you to start thinking of other option. In the latter case, I'd agree that your grades aren't going to matter nearly as much as the more important components that make up your overall package on the market: your dissertation, your letters of recommendation, your CV....

I do see your worry as I have heard that an A- is equated to a B and a B is equated to an F at the doctoral level. But before thinking of leaving, could you possibly talk to the professor who issued you the B and ask what problems he or she sees in your work? These problems could be easy to fix, and the B could just simply be a warning.

I would echo those saying that the grades shouldn't matter as much as your actual work. If you did well on the comps, love doing what you're doing, and are producing good scholarship, I wouldn't worry so much about the grades. I've talked to lots of people on search committees, and grades have never come up as an important part of how they make hiring decisions for profs. Publications, classes taught, how the interviews went, and, most importantly, how the guest teaching experience went were the only things that seemed to weigh heavily.

I would echo those saying that the grades shouldn't matter as much as your actual work. If you did well on the comps, love doing what you're doing, and are producing good scholarship, I wouldn't worry so much about the grades. I've talked to lots of people on search committees, and grades have never come up as an important part of how they make hiring decisions for profs. Publications, classes taught, how the interviews went, and, most importantly, how the guest teaching experience went were the only things that seemed to weigh heavily.

I do agree with lyonessrampant and everyone else saying that you there are other aspects that are more important besides grades. But if a professor at the doctoral level gives you a B, I would take it a bit seriously as the OP is. But instead of thinking about dropping out, I think the best thing to do is consult with this professor and figure out what steps to take to better his or her work. Seminars and the papers that come from them are just as important, and usually these courses are the stepping stones for publishing research papers, giving conferences, and teaching your own courses. So I wouldn't totally discount grades and pretend that they don't matter to a certain extent in the humanities.

Thanks everyone for your help.

The B was "forgiven", especially because I did well on a comp with the same subject matter. The prof who issued the B (not in my department), was not helpful in the least.

The real reason I was thinking of leaving is because I got an A- in a course that I had already taken (and gotten an A- in the first time!) Granted, it is a difficult course (advanced graduate level ancient Greek), but I know I improved from last time. Off to speak to the prof about this one. No, I don't think profs should give a student an A just for retaking a course. Also, I respect a professor's decision since they have had many years of evaluating students. Still, I thought I slam dunked this one. Major disillusionment. :lol: Oh well, organic metabolite disposal happens.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Thanks everyone for your help.

The B was "forgiven", especially because I did well on a comp with the same subject matter. The prof who issued the B (not in my department), was not helpful in the least.

The real reason I was thinking of leaving is because I got an A- in a course that I had already taken (and gotten an A- in the first time!) Granted, it is a difficult course (advanced graduate level ancient Greek), but I know I improved from last time. Off to speak to the prof about this one. No, I don't think profs should give a student an A just for retaking a course. Also, I respect a professor's decision since they have had many years of evaluating students. Still, I thought I slam dunked this one. Major disillusionment. :lol: Oh well, organic metabolite disposal happens.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Wishing you the best triceratops!