NSF GRFP

timuralp

I find the change to "approximately one week" extremely comforting. Especially when combined with the approved budget! The end may actually be in sight this time. Finally. I just want to move on with my life.

I find the change to "approximately one week" extremely comforting. Especially when combined with the approved budget! The end may actually be in sight this time. Finally. I just want to move on with my life.

Where does it actually say "approximately one week"? When I go on nsfgrfp.org, it still says "the approximate timeline for notifications is within the next two weeks."

Where does it actually say "approximately one week"? When I go on nsfgrfp.org, it still says "the approximate timeline for notifications is within the next two weeks."

The above poster is right. The same thing happened to me when I went to the webpage, but when I hit refresh it updated to "approximately one week."

I know people have posted this before, but is this what has been approved?

Stimulus money will only fund a few new solicitations and no continuing awards; most new and continuing awards will be funded through FY 09 regular appropriations.

Exceptions are:

?early/new investigator awards

?CAREER awards - funded for full five years

?Graduate Research Fellowships and other similar scholarship programs

To summarize what I remember from previous forum pages:

The GRFP is definitely getting some stimulus money, but the funding is NOT being tripled this year. It is, however, being tripled for FY2010 based on Obama's new budget. So basically, if you can apply again next year, you are in luck. There was a pretty lengthy discussion about this topic some pages back.

As for the additional awards this year, it is still unclear how much extra money there is, but it seems like it is coming from multiple sources. There is no concrete "real" number anywhere on the web as of right now.

To summarize what I remember from previous forum pages:

The GRFP is definitely getting some stimulus money, but the funding is NOT being tripled this year. It is, however, being tripled for FY2010 based on Obama's new budget. So basically, if you can apply again next year, you are in luck. There was a pretty lengthy discussion about this topic some pages back.

As for the additional awards this year, it is still unclear how much extra money there is, but it seems like it is coming from multiple sources. There is no concrete "real" number anywhere on the web as of right now.

Thanks for the clarification meowser! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one who couldn't find anything else on the internet about ARRA GRFP funding.

On the same note, it you're working a temp job, chances are you've never been in this position before.

Although who knows? That could be where I'll end up if I don't get this.

Just to throw in, I worked temp for six months after college, before getting accepted to 6 out of 7 grad schools I applied to, including an Ivy. The job market can be very rough for humanities majors, so reserve your judgment on temp employees. They may not be polite on the phone, which sucks and all, but seriously, does anyone who calls actually think they're going to get an answer any quicker? Admit it, y'all are just trying to take your frustration out on someone, and find the call center employees an appropriate target. We're all already in a career field (academics) that has a hard time understanding the rest of the world... don't make yourselves sound ruder than you really are.

"For those applicants still waiting for notification of their 2009 applications, the approximate timeline for notifications is in approximately one week."

how many more approximations could one fit into that sentence?

NSF: Proving there's a reason they became scientists and not novelists since 2009.

PS: If you guys really want to terrify yourselves, consider the fact that I've been waiting on NSF so long I've started looking at Dissertation Improvement Grants. I'm not even joking.

NSF: Proving there's a reason they became scientists and not novelists since 2009.

PS: If you guys really want to terrify yourselves, consider the fact that I've been waiting on NSF so long I've started looking at Dissertation Improvement Grants. I'm not even joking.

For those folks in the same boat and in the humanities/social sciences, have you checked out the SSRC DPDF? It looks good. What others are you applying for? (picking your brain since I'll be doing the same thing) I'm also looking at Wenner-Grenn, a grant not a fellowship, but hey, it's support.

For those folks in the same boat and in the humanities/social sciences, have you checked out the SSRC DPDF? It looks good. What others are you applying for? (picking your brain since I'll be doing the same thing) I'm also looking at Wenner-Grenn, a grant not a fellowship, but hey, it's support.

The NSF is the only one to which I applied.

"For those applicants still waiting for notification of their 2009 applications, the approximate timeline for notifications is in approximately one week."

how many more approximations could one fit into that sentence?

They changed "approximate" to "estimated". I wonder if they're reading this thread.

They changed "approximate" to "estimated". I wonder if they're reading this thread.

I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. If they are reading it, then they realize we limboers are frustrated. That could be good.

I'm looking at Leakey and a ton of other little biology and primatology grants--I'll probably apply to W-G, but it's a stretch unless they like my argument that primate foraging is relevant to human foraging evolution.

I'm looking at Leakey and a ton of other little biology and primatology grants--I'll probably apply to W-G, but it's a stretch unless they like my argument that primate foraging is relevant to human foraging evolution.

Leakey is a good one. I'm sure you can make the argument about primate foraging - really, if archaeologists can argue that material artifacts have agency, then this is certainly within the range of a W_G! I like the idea.

I'm no biologist, but there's a postdoc here who is doing work on how eye-movement patterns and how one searches their memory during recall is characterized by the same equation as animal foraging. Foraging rules.