NSF GRFP

timuralp

That being said.... anyone good at using R? I am trying to figure out how to run a slightly complicated Monte Carlo and I've never done anything similar to what I need to do before. This is a fun little puzzle, might make the time pass faster?

What are you trying to do?

What exactly do they mean by "Sunday from 12:00am-8:00am"? It's not immediately clear to me if they're meaning to refer to Saturday night/Sunday morning, or Sunday night/Monday morning.

What exactly do they mean by "Sunday from 12:00am-8:00am"? It's not immediately clear to me if they're meaning to refer to Saturday night/Sunday morning, or Sunday night/Monday morning.

The literal meaning of the words they've used is the former. I'm not sure how you'd get the latter, since the new day begins at midnight.

Not sure, good question. I know they do this every week though so someone who has been monitoring it can tell us tomorrow morning.

Nice to see someone else on here too. I was feeling kind of lame for being awake again, worrying again. It's just so depressing watching my savings and time to see my family dwindle as I wait and wait and wait, waiting on the NSF, waiting on people who may or may not have grants for me, waiting to hear back from jobs I am applying for because I will probably just have to drop out of grad school next month after two months of trying so hard to get SOMETHING together so I can stay here and do science. I just feel like everyone is yanking me around and it will never, ever end.

There was this month in 8th grade that was really great and I always think of it as the best month of my life. Without question this one has been the very worst one I have ever been through. I can't even get any sleep to make it go away.

MAKE IT END :twisted:

Because even though 12am is technically the start of a new day, it's often grouped with the night of the preceding day as opposed to the morning of the upcoming one. Plus (assuming this is cover for releasing the second wave), I just think it makes more sense to release it on the morning of a business day when the GRFP people will be around to field calls from the second round of winners.

Dear Higgins the very brave,

I've been reading this forum for a little over a month now and always found your haikus very amusing, well written, and funny. I am in the same limbo status as you are. Even though forums are very limiting to get a sense of what people are like in real life, I get the sense that you are an intelligent, persistent, and humorous person with a lot of character. This last month may have been very rough on you, but please don't give up, because science needs people like you. What I've noticed in my own life is that it is the darkest before light comes again. I so hope you do get the NSF. And if not, please don't give up. Are you able to do teaching to cover some of the costs of grad school? Also, just curious, what did the best month of your life involve?

warm regards,

Di Hu

Anthropology

University of California, Berkeley

P.S. Here's a double-haiku for you:

NSF-Not so fun

Dogs and cats asleep

While we count NSF sheep

Our papers, a heap

Dogs and cats dreaming

of milk bones and fancy mice

We, "click click click, sigh."

Not sure, good question. I know they do this every week though so someone who has been monitoring it can tell us tomorrow morning.

Nice to see someone else on here too. I was feeling kind of lame for being awake again, worrying again. It's just so depressing watching my savings and time to see my family dwindle as I wait and wait and wait, waiting on the NSF, waiting on people who may or may not have grants for me, waiting to hear back from jobs I am applying for because I will probably just have to drop out of grad school next month after two months of trying so hard to get SOMETHING together so I can stay here and do science. I just feel like everyone is yanking me around and it will never, ever end.

There was this month in 8th grade that was really great and I always think of it as the best month of my life. Without question this one has been the very worst one I have ever been through. I can't even get any sleep to make it go away.

MAKE IT END :twisted:

Higgins! Hang in there. You're smart, and if your posts are representative of how your proposal was written I'd say you have a good chance of getting the fellowship. If not, you are still smart and will figure something out.

Poppinfresh, thanks for the haiku!

Higgins! Hang in there. You're smart, and if your posts are representative of how your proposal was written I'd say you have a good chance of getting the fellowship.

I concur! Higgins, you're one of the best of us. Hang in there, the wait is almost over.

Okay, so they've release exact dollar amounts now:

Page 3: http://www.nsf.gov/about/budget/fy2010/ ... fy2010.pdf

GRFP Funding (in millions)

-------------------------------

FY09: $115.06 (Regular) + $45.56 (Stimulus) = $160.62

FY08: $96.02

This means, in total, there is a %67 increase in GRFP funding from 2008 to 2009. So far, the increase in awardees is 4% (950 versus 913). If these numbers are right and all kinds of assumptions are made, this would mean we could possibly expect ~575 more awards to be given out.

Okay, so they've release exact dollar amounts now:

Page 3: http://www.nsf.gov/about/budget/fy2010/ ... fy2010.pdf

GRFP Funding (in millions)

-------------------------------

FY09: $115.06 (Regular) + $45.56 (Stimulus) = $160.62

FY08: $96.02

This means, in total, there is a %67 increase in GRFP funding from 2008 to 2009. So far, the increase in awardees is 4% (950 versus 913). If these numbers are right and all kinds of assumptions are made, this would mean we could possibly expect ~575 more awards to be given out.

thanks for the link hekog. further on pg 5, the #of grad students involved is interesting (and these are all supported activities under the Education and Human Resources Directorate)

Graduate Students FY08 estimate=7,553 FY09 estimate=7,710 FY09 arra estimate = 1,650 FY10 estimate = 8,403

i think the language in the release hekog referred could be parsed as well (again for EHR only, and not including arra funds):

"Graduate Research Fellowships (GRF) (-$4.42 million, to a total of $102.58 million).

In FY 2010, approximately 1,654 new Fellows will be supported. In response to the Administration

:::snip"""

can we remember there are 950 already released - making 1000 total only 50 additional awards.

to sum, er - flummmoxed.*edit - spelling flummoxed. apologize for quoting twice. it takes up space.

You actually sat and parsed this? Man, we must be getting terribly bored just doing the "click, click, click" thing. :D

no. but golly golly i hope.

We all have to promise to come back into this place, whether we get the HM or the award, and let everyone know. I feel like I know you folks now, and I'd be happy for everyone that gets the cash!

Hm...those dollar amounts are right on the mark. $115.06 million/$120000 = 950 fellows. An additional $45.56 million translates to 380 more fellows or 19% of the remaining pool getting something. Again, don't get your hopes up.

Hm...those dollar amounts are right on the mark. $115.06 million/$120000 = 950 fellows. An additional $45.56 million translates to 380 more fellows or 19% of the remaining pool getting something. Again, don't get your hopes up.

as hekog, blah2009 et al. have calculated the #s vary considerably. EHR contributes the majority of funds to the grfp, but other funding sources chip in to bring it up to full. we will see, eh?

i suggest that this graduate experience with the nsf review process may come back to haunt some of us, in the form of progression in careers landing applicants on proposal review boards (or, heavens forbid, your subdiscipline's nsf panel). what lessons from this process will you promote in your reviews, or even future proposals? turn of the wheel and all that.

Well, so far it looks like they actually meant the site would go down tomorrow night, even though they said it would tonight. But at this point, I'm not really surprised by that.

So there's kind of two identical versions of the site, there's fastlane.nsf.gov, and there's fastlane-beta.nsf.gov. Earlier both were working fine, now only the latter is still loading for me. I also think http://www.nsfgrfp.org/ changed it's link for "check my application" from the one with beta (which is still up) to the one without beta (which just gives you a blank screen now). So I guess stuff* is happening tonight.

*No guarantee that "stuff" is posting lists, could just be regular maintenance.