NSF GRFP

timuralp

This thread has turned into such a dude fest since I went to bed. If you choose to be an arrogant, elitist ass, then no amount of award money or prestige can make up for that.

Seconded. You guys need to learn some fucking respect.

OK, let's get our priorities straight here. Maybe you want your girlfriend to spontaneously generate life while in bed with you, but I just want mine to lick my pussy reeeeeal good.

Holy sh*t Krastina, is that you? God daaamn, Ricketts Hovse represent! This is Mary btw. So what's up these days?

YEAH! I just spoke with the NSF GRFP office, and was told that there is "some hope" that the results will be posted today! I asked if they were still waiting for the approval list, and was told "it is really complicated". Hope has come to America!

You definitely don't pull in tail if you're going to MIT. Maybe you can impress some intellectual chick from Harvard, but really, why the hell would you want that? I'd take a girl from a junior college over MIT. Playing in a rock band and getting a phd at a non-MIT caliber school is way more lucrative than going to grad school at MIT. For example, an average girl at Arizona State is at least 3 points higher (on a scale of 1-10) than the average girl at MIT. No offense to the hot science chick at MIT who's probably from the south or west coast.

I think next year my proposed research will be to correlate attractiveness of student population with academic rigor.

This is fairly offensive.

I feel the need to ask this question because it seems like everyone has been meaning to ask it but just doesn't know how to bring it up without sounding awkward, so here goes:

If you're a guy, does winning the nsf grfp impress women? (and similarly if you were a woman).

in other words, if there are two equally qualified grad students but only one of them has the nsf award, would women be more attracted to the nsf awardee?

NO, it won't. There is only one way to get the hot babes:

brettmichaelsbrulch.png

I think that we just need to ignore the last few pages of this thread, or we are going to have pages of comments on how offensive and immature they are.

YEAH! I just spoke with the NSF GRFP office, and was told that there is "some hope" that the results will be posted today! I asked if they were still waiting for the approval list, and was told "it is really complicated". Hope has come to America!

I hope that this does not mean that they have given up on getting us more money! I would be very happy to get back to my life though.

Hey, if anyone feels like taking a break from NSFing for a bit, take a look at this video and feel good about something else that's going on in the government:

YEAH! I just spoke with the NSF GRFP office, and was told that there is "some hope" that the results will be posted today!

That'd be great, but I'm dubious. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 12-13 more times, shame on me!

and entirely wrong. i was a female at mit ;) it was (and still is) an a-ok place.

people have preconceived notions about certain places.

sorry, i got nothin' else to add.

Moderator Note:

A few people seem unhappy (and reported) the posts about attractiveness, etc. above. Yes, they are off-topic, but to suggest that they are derailing an otherwise streamlined discussion about the GRFP is a bit off base. This thread has obviously meandered...

That said, please direct further discussion on the topic of relative attractiveness of student bodies to The Lobby. Further discussion on the issue that is completely unrelated to the GRFP will be deleted or moved at the discretion of the moderators.

Hey,

I just logged in to Fastlane and this new page popped up asking me to agree to rules and regulations imposed by the NSF and then it made me change my password, because the password that 'was given' to me was temporary. This is the same password I used to apply. Could this mean that they are updating the web.....? :?

Hey,

I just logged in to Fastlane and this new page popped up asking me to agree to rules and regulations imposed by the NSF and then it made me change my password, because the password that 'was given' to me was temporary. This is the same password I used to apply. Could this mean that they are updating the web.....? :?

No, this happens after a pre-determined amount of time. I was asked to change my password in January (I applied last year). I don't think this means anything at all.

C'mon guys (and gals)!

It wasn't offensive, it was really funny. Please, continue!

Moderator, could you separate all off-topic posts into a new thread and move it to the lobby?

Feel free to start a post in the Lobby if you'd like :)

Hey,

I believe that people reported that a week ago, and it turned out to be nothing. If you had the account for awhile it may just be that. I believe they make you change it annually. If you loggined in and said something like Welcome Fellow and you had an award letter that would be something else. :D Hopefully some of us will see that today!

I've never been so excited to get what will likely be soul crushing news

I feel ya there. When I applied to grad school, I sent out applications to a dozen or so schools, so my anticipation of my impending rejections was drawn out over the course of several weeks. When I apply for Real Person jobs, I also tend to take a shotgun approach and apply to large batches of places all at once. This fellowship is the first time in a LONG time that I've applied to only one important thing and I think that sitting here waiting for it is all that much more awful.

However, that said, I am currently getting funded in the program I am in, so the NSF fellowship actually wouldn't change my short term plans all that much. My heart goes out to those poor saps on this thread for whom the NSF fellowship will actually play a causal role in the course of their next few years!

I think that we just need to ignore the last few pages of this thread, or we are going to have pages of comments on how offensive and immature they are.

I hope that this does not mean that they have given up on getting us more money! I would be very happy to get back to my life though.

Yeah :( What does "it's really complicated" mean anyway? they're giving up?

Who did you talk with? Was it a guy or a lady?