NSF GRFP

timuralp

Does anyone have any concrete knowledge as to whether or not the NSF considers undergrads vs. 1st year grads vs. 2nd year grads differently? I've read that you are evaluated within a pool consisting only of your subpopulation. But is it harder or easier to get an award depending on where you are in your career?

Yeah, a professor at my school who has been a reviewer before said that everybody is considering together. Undergrads do not have it any easier than current grad students.

i agree - how ridiculous!! they have taken away our freedom of speech!!

Ye deserve not the freedom to speak. Ye be the second biggest fool here, and would be advised to keep yerself silent, lubber scum! ARRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Does anyone have any concrete knowledge as to whether or not the NSF considers undergrads vs. 1st year grads vs. 2nd year grads differently? I've read that you are evaluated within a pool consisting only of your subpopulation. But is it harder or easier to get an award depending on where you are in your career?

Yes, they do take that into account and award people from each category differently.

I think it is:

100% undergrad

Less than 12 months graduate

More than 12 months graduate

I posted a link back on page 80 something that had a document that offers some incite into the process.

Yeah, a professor at my school who has been a reviewer before said that everybody is considering together. Undergrads do not have it any easier than current grad students.

Yes, but if you look at a small field it looks like about half of the awards are for undergrads. But I don't know where an actual breakdown can be found.

Yes, they do take that into account and award people from each category differently.

I think it is:

100% undergrad

I posted a link back on page 80 something that had a document that offers some incite into the process.

I do not know how they separate things out. My source also told me that people that took time off and were currently applying to grad school were in their own category. I had a comment on my rating sheet last year that reference after my college multiyear research experience as a "summer program". From comments, i was obviously not separated from the group that was applying strait out of college.

Can someone who's a first year engineering grad student please send me his/her NSF essays? I am freaking out and I really want to know whether I have a good shot at this award or not. My advisor and I really want to work together, but he has not had funding for some time. I don't want to change advisors just because of money. :*(

(nlcaruso is my email and I have a gmail account.)

The first half of April???

This is ridiculous! I guess they're really pushing for that April 15th deadline, too. I feel bad for anyone relying on NSF decisions to make their choices on which programs to go to. I think of all years, this would be the worst timing for it since funding for so many PhD programs have been cut to the point where students faculty particularly wanted couldn't even be offered support. That dominoes down to folks who are on waitlists waiting for offered people to back out of their spot.

I'm not in that boat, thankfully, but still. I feel their pain.

so, i'm actually getting a little antsy because i submitted a research proposal for NSF that i used for a grant later on in one of my classes, and it got torn apart in that class (structurally, although the idea seemed to go over pretty well). oh well, i suppose at the very least i can reapply next year and then if that fails apply for an nrsa.

as far as i know the research proposal is supposed to not even really count literally, but should be indicative of research potential, but a professor of mine who has reviewed for nsf said that the research proposal is often considered as more than 20% of the app because people reviewing are used to reading "real" grants...

25 minutes of silence... it is not comforting...

kind of freaks me out too. But it is now after 3pm EST - when I was waiting on school decisions this was the time of day I gave up.

I think tomorrow is the last day of "Early April."

1--10 == Early April

11--20 == Mid April

21--30 == Late April

1--15 == First half of April

16--30 == Second half of April

It clearly says "Early April."

:(

1--10 == Early April

11--20 == Mid April

21--30 == Late April

Lol... Are those metric system categories or imperial system categories?

I think it's best if we just stop thinking about it until Monday...

I think it is:

100% undergrad

Yes, one of the professors here was a former GRFP reviewer for NSF, and led a workshop for all of the interested students here. Indeed, the applications judged separately based on the year you apply (senior undergrads, 1st year grads, early 2nd year grads). Otherwise, the undergrads wouldn't stand a chance!

Yes, one of the professors here was a former GRFP reviewer for NSF, and led a workshop for all of the interested students here. Indeed, the applications judged separately based on the year you apply (senior undergrads, 1st year grads, early 2nd year grads). Otherwise, the undergrads wouldn't stand a chance!

What if you are changing fields? I.e. did a master's in Stats, but now applying to do PhD in Econ or something like that... it's hardly fair to compare those people to 1st PhD students in Econ or to senior undergrads...

I'm fairly sure that it compares people based on "graduate school experience" regardless of the field that it came from. That is why people who complete their masters first are often disqualified for the GRFP as they already have too many graduate credit hours.

1--10 == Early April

11--20 == Mid April

21--30 == Late April

Unless they are only using "early" to counter "late." Then early would be april 1-april 15 and late would be april 15-april 30, and the halves apply.

Stop being so finicky about the language, these are academics!

What if you are changing fields? I.e. did a master's in Stats, but now applying to do PhD in Econ or something like that... it's hardly fair to compare those people to 1st PhD students in Econ or to senior undergrads...

I don't know how they account for it. I changed fields from my undergrad as well (and took a couple years off to work), but I was told that "science is science" and that it was up to me to spin it to my advantage. So, I tried making a point that my experiences draw from two separate fields, I'm merging ideas, well-rounded, blah blah.