NSF GRFP

timuralp

how many sub-specialties are there?

well ... these are all the panels, i think?

it's in that other link that vice posted... the one right before this one (http://www.nsfgrfp.org/about_the_progra ... recipients)

(ignore the #s, i didn't feel like editing them out)

Chemistry I

Chemistry II

Computer Science I 221 12.2

Computer Science II 195 12.8

Aerospace and Other Engineering 328 14.0

Bioengineering 477 13.6

Chemical Engineering 270 14.1

Civil & Environmental Engineering 227 13.7

Electrical Engineering 283 12.7

Material Engineering 241 13.7

Mechanical Engineering 398 13.6

Geosciences 261 10.0

Animal Sciences 153 9.8

Biochemistry, Biophysics & Structural Biology 250 10.0

Ecology 340 10.0

Environmental Life Sciences 206 10.2

Genetics & Evolutionary Biology 316 10.1

Microbiology & Cell Biology 305 10.2

Molecular & Developmental Biology 236 10.2

Neurosciences & Physiology 287 10.1

Plant and Other Life Sciences

Mathematical Sciences 232 9.9

Physics I & Astronomy 196 10.2

Physics II 245 10.2

Psychology I 374 10.2

Psychology II 320 10.0

Anthropology & Archeology 191 9.9

Cultural Anthropology & Linguistics 179 10.1

Economics 207 10.1

Political Science, Geography & History of Science 204 10.3

Sociology & Public Policy

I have seen a couple people post that the NSF is under pressure to announce winners before the NDSEG decision deadline; but from what I have read previously, you can accept both NSF and NDSEG as long as you postpone NSF for 2 years and then decline the 1st year of funding. This way your first 3 years of funding is from NDSEG and the last 2 is from NSF. Does anyone know if this is true or not (and site an official source if possible), as this is what I was planning on doing if I am awarded a NSF fellowship.

I have seen a couple people post that the NSF is under pressure to announce winners before the NDSEG decision deadline; but from what I have read previously, you can accept both NSF and NDSEG as long as you postpone NSF for 2 years and then decline the 1st year of funding. This way your first 3 years of funding is from NDSEG and the last 2 is from NSF. Does anyone know if this is true or not (and site an official source if possible), as this is what I was planning on doing if I am awarded a NSF fellowship.

I believe there is a link or quote the first or second time this is mentioned on this thread.

I believe there is a link or quote the first or second time this is mentioned on this thread.

Ah yes, I found this (which was previously cited from the Information for Graduate Research Fellows document):

"All Fellows, including those on reserve, must submit the Declaration To Utilize, Reserve Or Terminate A Subsequent Year Of A 3-Year Graduate Fellowship Award, each year as indicated in section 14a. When returning to active tenure after a period of reserve, Fellows may change start time from fall to summer or vice versa. When such a change in start time is made, NSF must be certain that no Fellow receives more than 36 months of NSF Graduate Fellowship support and that no Fellow is allowed more than five years from the summer or fall after the initial fellowship award announcement. Regard-less, Fellows exercising this option must enter tenure of the NSF fellowship no later than the fall of the year that their re-serve status ends."

Thus, it does appear to be possible to accept both NDSEG and NSF fellowships. However, this means that there still is no end in sight because NSF should not care if they post before or after the NDSEG acceptance deadline.

I just logged in and it asked me to change my password.... This probably means nothing, but I thought I'd note it in case anyone thinks otherwise.

You're about the fourth or fifth person to mention this over the past week or two...it means nothing. Your password expires after a year, or something like that.

I just logged in and it asked me to change my password.... This probably means nothing, but I thought I'd note it in case anyone thinks otherwise.

Apparently they expire after a certain time. Many people on this thread have had similar experiences.

Here is the list from last year's 8146 applicants that were reviewed by discipline. The number next to field is the number of reviewed applicants, and then the percent of those applicants that succeeded in getting the award, so they probably will follow those type of distributions if they are going to give out more this year. So pretty much everyone is around 10% with engineering a little above.

Applications Success Rate (%)

Chemistry I 270 10.4%

Chemistry II 268 10.8%

Computer Science I 221 12.2%

Computer Science II 195 12.8%

Aerospace/ Other Engi 328 14.0%

Bioengineering 477 13.6%

Chemical Engineering 270 14.1%

Civil & Environ Engineering 227 13.7%

Electrical Engineering 283 12.7%

Material Engineering 241 13.7%

Mechanical Engineering 398 13.6%

Geosciences 261 10.0%

Animal Sciences 153 9.8%

Biochem, Biophys & Structural Bio 250 10.0%

Ecology 340 10.0%

Environmental Life Sciences 206 10.2%

Genetics & Evolutionary Biology 316 10.1%

Microbiology & Cell Biology 305 10.2%

Molecular & Developmental Bio 236 10.2%

Neurosciences & Physiology 287 10.1%

Plant and Other Life Sciences 288 10.1%

Mathematical Sciences 232 9.9 %

Physics I & Astronomy 196 10.2%

Physics II 245 10.2%

Psychology I 374 10.2%

Psychology II 320 10.0%

Anthropology & Archeology 191 9.9%

Cultural Anthropology & Linguistics 179 10.1%

Economics 207 10.1%

Political Science, Geography & History of Science 204 10.3%

Sociology & Public Policy 178 10.1%

So I know one can apply in undergrad, first year-grad, and second year-grad too...so some people could apply 3 times. Does anyone know the stats on the chances for first-time applicants vs. 2nd-time applicants vs. 3rd timers?

I guess it matters for any lucky/smart jerks who would be out in less than 3 years. But I have a hard time feeling bad for anyone in that predicament (3 yrs or less and 2 fellowships)

Gah! When I logged in to the NSF GRFP page, it gave me a new message, asking me to promise to abide by NSF guidelines; my heartbeat with CRAZY, my hairs stood up -- I was sure that I was about to get the decision! But nope, they're just jerking our chains, as usual. They just asked me to change my password, and then took me to the same old page.

I'm not trying to be confident, but I think those who were asked to change password after trying to log in must be confident. I think it is an indication of something there. I understand that passwords will expire after 365 days (according to NSF policy). But my password was only about 6 months (I had it set it in October 2008), and I was also asked to change my password about several days ago as well when I tried to log in Fastlane. I might not be right.

I'm not trying to be confident, but I think those who were asked to change password after trying to log in must be confident. I think it is an indication of something there. I understand that passwords will expire after 365 days (according to NSF policy). But my password was only about 6 months (I had it set it in October 2008), and I was also asked to change my password about several days ago as well when I tried to log in Fastlane. I might not be right.

yeah, definitely not right. i was asked to change mine before the review committees even met.