NSF GRFP

timuralp

Hi everyone, I've been lurking for a while but now I've joined you!

Also, not that this happens a lot, but if someone decides not to accept their award does it go to an HM or do they just keep the money for next year?

As far as I know, no waitlist is maintained. The money will just be used the following year.

it doesn't work that way. all the files were reviewed mid-feb. The top 7 percent get the awards automatically. The next 13 percent may get awards up to the discretion of the NSF (for geographical concerns, or whatnot). People will not be re-reviewing anything. It's simply a numbers game. Just hope you are lucky.

yea, i agree, it makes most sense to just look at the rankings (percentile) and if nsf gave GRFP funds for XX more awards, they would take XX from the top. i suppose they need some kinda way to choose between disciplines/subfields, b/c i dont know if they rank people across or if its precise enough to just take XX number of people from the "top."

me too. but if it's any consolation, 99 per cent of these people will end up with HM. Same as you and I...no money. Does that make you feel less crappy?

99%? Do you really think that the NSF would go through this much time, money and effort just to give an extra 5-10 people an award?

I'm not saying that we aren't all going to get an HM, but if the NSF didn't have some good reason to believe that they would dole out additional rewards, then why wouldn't they just go ahead and cut the cord now?

99%? Do you really think that the NSF would go through this much time, money and effort just to give an extra 5-10 people an award?

I'm not saying that we aren't all going to get an HM, but if the NSF didn't have some good reason to believe that they would dole out additional rewards, then why wouldn't they just go ahead and cut the cord now?

When has the NSF ever done anything logical? They could have rejected 75 percent of us right off the bat in Feb. Don't play these mind games with yourself. The fact that the budget (as they claim) is so iffy, should lead you to have no confidence they will actually secure more money.

i agree, it's difficult to view the GRFP as a rational actor. but, if not, what else are we to think? my guess is that they are doing serious work (not just waiting around for responses, that's part of it).

i don't think most of us in "limbo" are thinking that many will be getting the award (~1500, at the very least are HM from 2005-2009).

i guess the total number when everything is said and done will be 1176 awards for 2009...anyone else???

i agree, it's difficult to view the GRFP as a rational actor. but, if not, what else are we to think? my guess is that they are doing serious work (not just waiting around for responses, that's part of it).

i don't think most of us in "limbo" are thinking that many will be getting the award (~1500, at the very least are HM from 2005-2009).

i guess the total number when everything is said and done will be 1176 awards for 2009...anyone else???

I'll bid 1177, Bob.

15 years from now, people's CVs will say "2009 NSF GRFP Recipient - 1st Round"

On a similar note: Do any of you guys feel that if you did end up getting the actual award after the limbo phase, that you'd sort of feel inadequate on the inside? :( I'm banking on an HM on this point I guess, but if I did get the award I don't think I'd be as happy about it as I would a "first round" pick.

Granted, I'm not doing it for the money--more for the self-validation aspect of it all. I guess that would explain how I feel.

I think $30k/yr could make me feel pretty adequate. :D I think I would still feel good because even with HM you're in the top 1/3 or 1/4 of the people who applied, and this is a pretty competitive field since most people don't go to grad school and then a lot of people in grad school don't even apply if they think they have no chance.

To anyone who is still waiting, I'm ready to celebrate an HM. It's still pretty cool. Granted I was hoping for a win or lose because of the decisions I have to make (more related to personal things, but I was kinda trying to use the NSF like a coin), but I think knowing that I wasn't "not recommended for funding" feels cool.

Again, sorry to anyone who didn't win. I'm sure you're all awesome people and I really wish we could all get something (T shirt at least). You may want to stop lurking the forum though because I have a feeling that as the waiting continues the whining of people in limbo is just going to piss you off.

I just called to see if they could tell me whether I was in category II or III. She said they had not broken things down into categories yet... which doesn't seem to jive with the fact that presumably the top 7% were notified and bottom was notified.

Maybe she meant they hadn't broken down the ones remaining into additional categories?

Due to the complexity of the current budget situation, the 2009 GRFP awards will be announced in installments based on fields of study and other factors.

Does anyone think there is any merit to the blurb saying some field's awards in particular are delayed? Anyone's field look under-represented in round 1? I'm Interdisciplinary social science, so who knows....

Hey, just came across this report from April 7, 2009:

"The FY 2010 budget overview released by the Obama Administration in February had a brief section on the National Science Foundation. Under

Hey, just came across this report from April 7, 2009:

"The FY 2010 budget overview released by the Obama Administration in February had a brief section on the National Science Foundation. Under

So here's a though. If this is where the hold up is, then maybe we've been calling the wrong people. There are a number of Congresspersons listed on that link that might know something about how much the increase to the GRFP budget may be and when the budget may be finalized. We could of course call their offices. (I'm sorry, I had to suggest it).

Math123:

I'm a very sorry you didn't get the award but please dont stay on the forum and tell other people still waiting that they're not going to get it either- believe me I'm aware of how slim the chances are... I don't need you to remind me. I know there are people who only applied for the prestige but for me this award will be the difference between staying in a lab and fufilling a lifelong dream vs. going into whatever lab has money to take me. So again, I'm sorry you didn't get the award but there's no need fo you to come in here and remind the rest of us how little chance we have of getting it becasue I gaurantee you, not one of us is sitting here thinking "oh, it's in the bag. Limbo = victory"

sorry to be mean... but this is a very stressful time for me. I just think there'll be plenty of time to deal with rejection once the letter comes, I'm not in any hurry to be crushed.

Due to the complexity of the current budget situation, the 2009 GRFP awards will be announced in installments based on fields of study and other factors.

Does anyone think there is any merit to the blurb saying some field's awards in particular are delayed? Anyone's field look under-represented in round 1? I'm Interdisciplinary social science, so who knows....

Yeah, so- here I go again with my possibly useless optimism but yes; my area is underrepresented. they said Molecular biology usually gets 30 to 60 awards and there are only 16 posted right now.

My area is Engineering - Aeronautical and Aerospace, and right now there are only 12 people on the offered list (I'm in limbo).

Last year there were 16. I'm not really sure what to think, I guess there doesn't have to be much of a correlation, but if we think there are going to be more awards this year then I could still be in luck.