how to optimize my chances

candycrava

I am finishing up my sophomore year as a psych major. I intend on going to grad school for school psychology. How can i optimize my chances to get accepted for grad school? I know the general stuff, like get good letters of rec, etc. Please give some specifics. Thanks!

There's an article called "kisses of death in the grad school application process" that could be helpful. It gives specifics to avoid. Just google that phrase in quotes and it will come up.

The best advice I could offer besides the basic stuff that you already know (e.g., good grades, reference letters, admissions test scores) is to volunteer for a research lab in your field of interest. If you can somehow get a paid position that is even better. Students coming out of undergrad with research experience look far superior to those who have shown no initiative in this domain.

The best advice I could offer besides the basic stuff that you already know (e.g., good grades, reference letters, admissions test scores) is to volunteer for a research lab in your field of interest. If you can somehow get a paid position that is even better. Students coming out of undergrad with research experience look far superior to those who have shown no initiative in this domain.

If you're going for a research PhD, research experience is absolutely essential. If you're more interested in clinical or applied domains, relevant internships are probably just as essential.

There's an article called "kisses of death in the grad school application process" that could be helpful. It gives specifics to avoid. Just google that phrase in quotes and it will come up.

This article was great. Thanks!

Also, I want to go for the Ed. S., not a Ph. D.

Edited by ladyluck102791