writing sample page limits

coho

In contrast to the "1000 word limit" for SOPs, I have found that writing sample length limits read something along the lines of "maximum of 15/20/30 pages." Which raises two questions:

1. double spaced or single?

2. is there a cushion for how far over the limit one can go?

Any ideas?

. . . my personal guess is 1. double spaced 2. don't go over the limit. But I'd like to have your opinion.

. . . my personal guess is 1. double spaced 2. don't go over the limit. But I'd like to have your opinion.

Your intuition is correct. Double spaced is standard unless they specify otherwise.

Always keep to the limit the specify about writing samples.

1. It shows you can follow directions.

2. Going over the limit will mean more for the committees to read as they will receive several applications for admissions. At best, they may not read the extra pages; or at worse, they may become irritated and move you to the bottom of the pile in favor of someone who could follow the directions.

So if you must, condense and trim any unnecessary words from your samples.

Good luck :)

I had the same question and I called one university that said the writing sample must not be more than 25 pages in the application. they said that if you go over, the writing sample won:t even be included!!! talk about pressure. I think different universities have different regulations--as in it *should not be more or *must not be more.

i would call the admissions office if you are unsure, they may be rude, but at least youd get straight answers :P

A lot of departments say that it is ok to submit beyond their limit, but please specify which parts you would like them to read. I'm generalizing off of the History department pages I have looked at, so it could be a different culture in whatever you are pursuing. But I really haven't seen many departments advertising the "26 Pages?!?! DENIED!!" approach to their 25 page limit. Hunt out the FAQ section of their website (it's almost always in there), and if that fails, e-mail the director of graduate studies.