Schools Really Only Take Your Highest Score?

dag

I took the GRE for the first time a few months ago. I got a 4.5 on the AW section and I know I could probably score a 5.5 if I took the test again. My worry is that if I take the test again, I won't score as highly on the other sections--particularly the quant section. Sometimes I hear that schools only look at your highest scores on each section from the tests you've taken, but is this really the case? They get all of the scores together; I don't see how they could ignore a later score that turned out to be lower. For the programs I am applying to (Health Policy/Economics PhD programs), the score they are most interested in is definitely the quant score.

I appreciate everyone's comments. Thanks in advance

Depends on the field, the program, and the university.

I know some that look at all the scores you have on records, and I've heard of some that just take the highest set.

I have yet to hear of any that will mix and match the highest score on each section from several tests, however.

Edited by Eigen

My understanding is that schools ideally represent themselves as considering the highest score, but I don't think it's that simple. I've heard that some programs will average the scores, which really only helps you if you do significantly better across the board. At the very least, I imagine admissions committees can't help but take the lower scores into consideration, even they don't do so "officially." It's sort of like a judge instructing a jury to disregard something said in open court.

If your concern is AW, I would suggest that you don't bother re-taking it. AW scores are rarely considered, to my knowledge. Even the most terrible AW score can be easily overcome by submitting a strong statement of purpose/writing sample, etc. Admissions committees will surely give more weight to something you wrote that they can read versus a numerical score. If your quant/verbal scores are strong, it makes more sense to direct your effort to improving those parts of your application than it does to take the GRE again.

Edited by spctle342

What field are you in? What schools are you looking at?

After my experience of applying to ~20 schools, I feel the admissions process is a very informal one. I think they really only care about measuring your aptitude to do well in their programs. In this specific case, if you think you can prove higher aptitude by taking the GRE a second time, then do it.

I took the GRE for the first time a few months ago. I got a 4.5 on the AW section and I know I could probably score a 5.5 if I took the test again. My worry is that if I take the test again, I won't score as highly on the other sections--particularly the quant section. Sometimes I hear that schools only look at your highest scores on each section from the tests you've taken, but is this really the case? They get all of the scores together; I don't see how they could ignore a later score that turned out to be lower. For the programs I am applying to (Health Policy/Economics PhD programs), the score they are most interested in is definitely the quant score.

I appreciate everyone's comments. Thanks in advance

It really depends on the university, specifically the admissions committee. Some may consider the highest score while others will tend to look if there is a trend or check how much you improved in a particular section.

If you are still in doubt and it really is bugging you, it is best to ask the admissions committee of the program you are interested in applying to.