GRE score question

weeble

I'm applying to PhD programs in Social Psychology, and the programs I'm applying to do not (for the most part) have minimum GRE score requirements. They just report median scores. That said, ALL the programs have higher median quantitative scores than verbal scores. I scored 650 quant, 800 verbal. Am I going to be at a disadvantage in the admissions process, or will my verbal score carry me through? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

wow that's an awesome verbal score, congrats! from what I've read many research-based programs put more emphasis on the quantitative section, but I think your scores are still strong from what I've seen of the averages. I get the impression that an awful GRE will keep you out, but an ok to great one won't do much at all.

• 1 year later...

Bump.

I'm currently applying to various Social Psych Ph.D. programs for the fall 2010 semester.

My GRE scores are mediocre at best, if not slightly miserable. Given the handful of practice tests I've taken, I'm probably averaging about an 1100 combined.

I'm registered to take the real thing in 1 week, and I plan on retaking in December if need be (there will probably be a great need).

In general, do you think any program, regardless of reputation or "ranking" or whatever, will even give my application the time of day? My other credentials are definitely noteworthy, including GPA, research experience, and I'm going to have great recommendation letters too.

Thoughts?

Bump.

I'm currently applying to various Social Psych Ph.D. programs for the fall 2010 semester.

My GRE scores are mediocre at best, if not slightly miserable. Given the handful of practice tests I've taken, I'm probably averaging about an 1100 combined.

I'm registered to take the real thing in 1 week, and I plan on retaking in December if need be (there will probably be a great need).

In general, do you think any program, regardless of reputation or "ranking" or whatever, will even give my application the time of day? My other credentials are definitely noteworthy, including GPA, research experience, and I'm going to have great recommendation letters too.

Thoughts?

My understanding is that SOME schools use a hard cut off to weed out applications. This may even vary by cycle and competitiveness of applicants. For what those cutoffs are likely to be, I have heard 1200 quoted the most (Columbia admits to using this: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/psychology/graduate/prospective/faq.html#N10091). The average GRE of students accepted into APA accredited programs is apparently 1198 so it makes sense that schools want students who are average or better. I have seen 1250 quoted for some high tier schools, and an average GRE of 1300+ for students in super competitive programs.

My GREs are not bad and not great (1270). I hated the test and didn't retake it because my adviser said that with a 1270 it was not likely that a school would cut me early based on that score. I just hope that my high analytical writing score (6) and psych GRE (720) will stand out as examples of my competency at taking stupid standardized tests..

• 1 month later...