Biomedical Engineering MRes Strathclyde

Sara_Rachel

Hi,

I applied for PhD in several US univs this year, but couldn't make the final cut. Now I have been offered a one year Masters in Research in Biomedical Engineering at University of Strathclyde with a 2000 GBP scholarship. The strange thing is that there is no similarity in University rankings in different ranking tables for UK. And its hard to say which university is good and which is not. As for the course, an MRes in biomedical engineering is available only at Strathclyde. And it suits my need because I was told by US univs, that my application lacked research experience. My undergrad academics are pretty good (according to international students..probably a 3.8 GPA, and 1600 GRE).

The other option I have is an MSc in Bioengineering at University of Surrey, which has much less research exposure, but Surrey is considered a better university.

I plan to apply for a PhD again next year. And I am not sure which course I should pick. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I applied for PhD in several US univs this year, but couldn't make the final cut. Now I have been offered a one year Masters in Research in Biomedical Engineering at University of Strathclyde with a 2000 GBP scholarship. The strange thing is that there is no similarity in University rankings in different ranking tables for UK. And its hard to say which university is good and which is not. As for the course, an MRes in biomedical engineering is available only at Strathclyde. And it suits my need because I was told by US univs, that my application lacked research experience. My undergrad academics are pretty good (according to international students..probably a 3.8 GPA, and 1600 GRE).

The other option I have is an MSc in Bioengineering at University of Surrey, which has much less research exposure, but Surrey is considered a better university.

I plan to apply for a PhD again next year. And I am not sure which course I should pick. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wait so you have about a 3.8 GPA and you have a perfect 800/800 GRE score? That has to not be common at all. With that GPA and GRE scores how were you not accepted into any PhD programs? What PhD universities in the US did you apply to?

wait so you have about a 3.8 GPA and you have a perfect 800/800 GRE score? That has to not be common at all. With that GPA and GRE scores how were you not accepted into any PhD programs? What PhD universities in the US did

I applied to Harvard, MIT, Duke, UMich, U Minnesta, JHU, Vanderbilt . The problem was that I did not have sufficient research ex..and that I am an international student.

wait so you have about a 3.8 GPA and you have a perfect 800/800 GRE score? That has to not be common at all. With that GPA and GRE scores how were you not accepted into any PhD programs? What PhD universities in the US did you apply to?

And I was interviewed by Duke, vandy, and UMich,..and I was on a waitlist for Vandy.

• 1 month later...

Hey there,

I had applied for PhD too in Bioengg and mine got rejected because Im from a different field. I had research exp in bioengg - 3 years. But my background is in Medicine. I was asked to do an intermediate diploma for getting into PhD. Im joining Strathclyde coming Sept. Im more of a research oriented person. Please let me know if you are interested and we can team up.

Best regards,

Hariprashanth

dr.hariprashanth@gmail.com

• 1 year later...

I know that this is an older post, but I wondered if you ended up going to Strathclyde and if so, what you thought about the program?

I have been offered a spot at the University of Strathclyde for a MSc in Biomedical Engineering starting in September 2013. I have definitely had some trouble finding equivalent US/International rankings (I'm a US student) and want to verify that this is the place for me.

I'd love to hear about your experiences and overall impressions, its unlikely I would get the opportunity to visit the university before starting.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I know that this is an older post, but I wondered if you ended up going to Strathclyde and if so, what you thought about the program?

I have been offered a spot at the University of Strathclyde for a MSc in Biomedical Engineering starting in September 2013. I have definitely had some trouble finding equivalent US/International rankings (I'm a US student) and want to verify that this is the place for me.

I'd love to hear about your experiences and overall impressions, its unlikely I would get the opportunity to visit the university before starting.

Thanks!

Hey melissaam,

I also got accepted for MSc Biomedical Engineering starting September 2013.  I'm from the US too, and I agree that it's difficult trying to find rankings on the program!  Glad to hear of someone else considering going though!