Santa Barbara, CA

Resurrecting this thread!

So I’m seriously considering attending UCSB for my PhD. I am a single mom of a 3 year old. I know I can live in family housing which is fairly affordable, but they are only two bedrooms and my mom is considering moving out too. I’m wondering if living out there is really doable. Are there any single parents at UCSB with insight? I will take any insight really, on the affordable everything out there. Thanks!

On 3/8/2019 at 1:13 PM, Psyhopeful said:

Resurrecting this thread!

So I’m seriously considering attending UCSB for my PhD. I am a single mom of a 3 year old. I know I can live in family housing which is fairly affordable, but they are only two bedrooms and my mom is considering moving out too. I’m wondering if living out there is really doable. Are there any single parents at UCSB with insight? I will take any insight really, on the affordable everything out there. Thanks!

I'm in a similar position; I'm considering moving to UCSB with my wife. I come from a very cheap city, so the idea of paying $1500+ for rent kinda blows my mind.  I just submitted an application for family housing, and you should note that estimated wait times for family housing are 26 months. I will discuss getting by in SB/Goleta on a TA salary when I visit in early April. If that grants any insight, I will let you know.

• 5 weeks later...

In regard to the above, I was told that most grad students have multiple roommates. They did say that the best way to find private accommodations was to put yourself on the waitlist for as many apartments as you could. However, if you are looking for a 3BR place, you're probably going to spend $3,000 a month.