Santa Barbara, CA

Does anyone know of any apartments, either studio, single or two bedroom, that are available as of summer 2015? Or even a room? I'm switching PhD programs from Florida International University to UCSB this summer - looking to get a head start on housing.

Any help would be great!! Thanks!!

• 9 months later...
Are you looking for a home for the 2016-17 Summer or School Year?

The Santa Barbara Student Housing Co-op (SBSHC) is a non-profit cooperative housing provider in Isla Vista. Our purpose is to provide low rent co-op housing for students, staff, and faculty of the University of California at Santa Barbara, and other local institutions of higher learning, regardless of gender, race, social, political, or religious affiliation, and thereby influencing the community to eliminate prejudice and discrimination in the community. We strive to engage in continuous educational programs that further the principles of cooperation through mutual, self-help living at a minimal cost.

Members make all the organizational decisions - there is no landlord. Decisions concerning topics such as development, hiring, budgets and rental rates, are made by our membership. Members participate in regular house meetings, shared chores, groups meals, committees, gardening, education and social activities, and more! Living in a co-op is more than just a place to sleep.

We have five houses in the Isla Vista area: NEWMAN (apartments/studios), MANLEY, DASHAIN (vegetarian/vegan themed), BIKO (people of color themed), MERTON (interfaith themed/low-income). More information about each house can be found here (http://sbcoop.org/?q=node/7). 

Our newest house, the MERTON House, is 100% low-income. UCSB undergraduate students that qualify may also qualify for a scholarship through UCSB Financial Aid. More details here (http://www.sbcoop.org/?q=node/19). 

Applications will be available starting January 8th at 8pm on http://www.sbcoop.org. From January 25 through February 5 we'll be hosting informational sessions, tours and house events. We'll announce room placements around the second week of February. Spaces in the co-ops are limited and competitive but we maintain a Waitlist. Spots are offered on a first-come first-served basis. 

We offer both a Summer Contract and a School Year Contract (possible partial contracts for those studying abroad). 

SUMMER: June 19, 2016 - September 15, 2016
SCHOOL YEAR: September 18, 2016 - June 22, 2017

The co-op offers a unique, lower-cost, communal, sustainable, social justice orientated living experience. You can find more information at http://www.sbcoop.org and questions can be directed to josh@sbcoop.org.

In cooperation,
Josh Redman (Member Services Coordinator) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Look in Goleta. You can probably get your own apartment for that price, which means you can find a room for much cheaper. Check out Craigslist. Or you can deal with an annoying commute from Ventura/Ojai/Oxnard and get a room for even cheaper. Campus is not in SB...

2 hours ago, svent said:

Look in Goleta. You can probably get your own apartment for that price, which means you can find a room for much cheaper. Check out Craigslist. Or you can deal with an annoying commute from Ventura/Ojai/Oxnard and get a room for even cheaper. Campus is not in SB...

Ohhhh I see! Thank you so much for sharing that info! Goleta keeps popping up in this thread, I have to visit! My campus visit is in 3 weeks, I might stay a extra day or two to check everything out. Thank you! I appreciate it! 

Okay. The campus is in SB by mailing address, but it's really in Goleta, which is about 6-8 miles north of SB on the 101. Most grad students live in Goleta I believe. The undergrads are in Isla Vista. You can commute from Ventura or Ojai if you really wanted to, but that's 40 miles, so would be pretty unpleasant, although the traffic is nowhere near as bad as LA. Those towns are probably also kind of boring compared to SB/Goleta. In the other direction there's Santa Maria which may be a bit cheaper, but that's a really long commute (like 65-70 miles). There's also pretty much nothing going on out there (socially etc.) as far as I know.

Edited by svent

2 hours ago, svent said:

Okay. The campus is in SB by mailing address, but it's really in Goleta, which is about 6-8 miles north of SB on the 101. Most grad students live in Goleta I believe. 

Thank u! That's very helpful! I will check how much a studio in Goleta is. Also, is it hard to find a part time job there? Just in case if my funding is not survivable. 

3 hours ago, WendyWonderland said:

Thank u! That's very helpful! I will check how much a studio in Goleta is. Also, is it hard to find a part time job there? Just in case if my funding is not survivable. 

Not sure. I bet there are plenty of part-time jobs on campus, hopefully even intellectually stimulating ones (meaning not cashier jobs). If you email your department, they can probably point you in the right direction. You may be able to find some people to tutor in the area, but it'll probably be mostly UCSB students. If you're a TA, you can't tutor your own students obviously, but you can still tutor your officemates' students. Often in grad school, a TA will get a request for tutoring from one of their students and email the department asking if anyone is interested in taking that student.

SB is very expensive, so people tend to move down to Ventura after school if they're working in SB. Or they move closer to LA and work in the LA area. So if you're looking to tutor high school kids (there's more of them than college kids), you'd have better luck closer to LA sadly (Ventura, Camarillo, Thousand Oaks, Malibu, etc.). There's really not much going on north of Goleta.

Btw, it's not that big a deal if you bump into your students outside of class, lol. When I was a grad student, I bumped into one of my students at a heavy metal concert 150 miles away from campus. Wasn't that big a deal. I'd probably avoid IV though, cause that's undergrad party central. I was also a TA for some of my friends/roommates when I was in college, and was a TA for one guy who was in one of my other classes.

On February 10, 2016 at 4:17 PM, svent said:

Not sure. I bet there are plenty of part-time jobs on campus, hopefully even intellectually stimulating ones (meaning not cashier jobs). If you email your department, they can probably point you in the right direction. You may be able to find some people to tutor in the area, but it'll probably be mostly UCSB students. If you're a TA, you can't tutor your own students obviously, but you can still tutor your officemates' students. Often in grad school, a TA will get a request for tutoring from one of their students and email the department asking if anyone is interested in taking that student.

SB is very expensive, so people tend to move down to Ventura after school if they're working in SB. Or they move closer to LA and work in the LA area. So if you're looking to tutor high school kids (there's more of them than college kids), you'd have better luck closer to LA sadly (Ventura, Camarillo, Thousand Oaks, Malibu, etc.). There's really not much going on north of Goleta.

Btw, it's not that big a deal if you bump into your students outside of class, lol. When I was a grad student, I bumped into one of my students at a heavy metal concert 150 miles away from campus. Wasn't that big a deal. I'd probably avoid IV though, cause that's undergrad party central. I was also a TA for some of my friends/roommates when I was in college, and was a TA for one guy who was in one of my other classes.

You are very helpful! I really appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...

@svent hey folks, just starting to look into housing near ucsb. I've heard goleta is a good place to start. I was wondering if you could tell me what it's like there... is there a main street or a happening few blocks? I currently live in a full blown city so I'm looking to find an apartment on or near a busy street (cafes, movie theaters, bars, shopping), and was wondering if there's anything equivalent there. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's getting closer to moving time. Still have not finalized a roommate situation. If you are interested, please message me.

Even if you already have a roommate and are just looking to make friends, I could always use more of those :)

• 8 months later...

In case anyone is still alive on this thread...I'm thinking about Santa Barbara for grad school (Fall 2017) but it seems like rentals for a room are expensive and there doesn't seem to be much available close to campus. Also, if Goleta is popular, but 6-8 miles away, do people take the bus? Or do most people have cars? Is that 6-8 mile stretch also bike-able, or is it all interstate? I don't drive, so its kind of important.  

Also does anyone know of students who do live close to campus and how they do that? 

What do people think of the co-ops? Ideally, I'd prefer to live alone, but that isn't fixed. 

Thanks in advance for any info anyone has. 

On 3/1/2017 at 6:21 PM, LBalen said:

In case anyone is still alive on this thread...I'm thinking about Santa Barbara for grad school (Fall 2017) but it seems like rentals for a room are expensive and there doesn't seem to be much available close to campus. Also, if Goleta is popular, but 6-8 miles away, do people take the bus? Or do most people have cars? Is that 6-8 mile stretch also bike-able, or is it all interstate? I don't drive, so its kind of important.  

Also does anyone know of students who do live close to campus and how they do that? 

What do people think of the co-ops? Ideally, I'd prefer to live alone, but that isn't fixed. 

Thanks in advance for any info anyone has. 

Getting around Goleta and to campus from Goleta and even Santa Barbara is totally doable, most do it, in fact. 

On campus housing for grads is around $800 for your room in a multi-room apartment. 

Everyone buses and rides bikes and skateboards. You also get special bus passes (free and discounted). 

If you're looking at housing right now, that's why it looks thin. Come May/June, it'll open back up cuz everyone starts moving again. 

Thank you jujube. I recently moved to LA and so when I see 6-8 miles that can often be more than 2 hours of driving when it's busy...so my perspective is a bit off. I appreciate your info, which puts me at ease. I'm glad the area is bike-able.  

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:01 AM, Espanola said:

Hello,

I'm looking for a small studio to live alone in the Santa Barbara area. Can anyone who knows the area give me names of places? I am lost 

craigslist... and plan on plunking down AT LEAST $1,200 a month to live in a studio. Living here on a grad salary is miserable (unless you're a STEM admit with a nice financial package)

19 hours ago, Espanola said:

Ufff there's no anything of value? 

If there is, they go within days. I spoke with some of the grad students while visiting and they recommended I carry my deposit in my car with my letters of reference when a good spot opens up to make an offer on the spot because they go really fast. 

Keep in mind, value in SB is single studio apartment = $1000ish/month

• 1 month later...

I completed my Masters at UCSB a few years ago and have lived in town since. It is really hard to find a studio for less than 1500, and they are typically closer to 1800. Prices are cheaper in the Goleta area, however a lot of the less expensive "studios" don't have kitchens, just come with a mini fridge and microwave. The best place to look is on craigslist, however be diligent because the good places go fast. I would recommend staying in the graduate student apartments for at least your first year. They  come furnished, all utilities are included, and are right next to campus. They're also less expensive than a lot rentals in the area. A lot of graduate students live there, so it's also a great place to meet new people from different departments.

I am an incoming PhD student, planning to apply for San Clemente Villages which is their on-campus housing. First year grad students are guaranteed to get a place. If you know who you want to be roommates with, you can apply with them too. Any other incoming grad students interested in being roommates, please let me know.