Need reassurance- GRE

ryanmor

Hey all,

Took the GREs today. I scored in the middle of the range I was getting for the Quant and the lower end of the range for Verbal when practiced with power-prep.

720 M

550 CR

I thought AW went surprisingly well, I would not be surprised to score somewhere in the 4-5...maybe 5.5 range.

Of my programs, most don't have a set cut-off, others recommend higher than 70% in both or 1200 overall. What do you here make of my score? Not worth the retake?

Rest of my application is strong- 3 years research, posters, at least 2 pubs in prep, REU in subfield, strong letters of rec, prestigious national research scholarship, solid GPA.

Thanks.

Hi there!

I took the GRE on Saturday as well- I scored above the minimum my schools request (or so I've read on multiple sites. Never stated directly on their own website) of 1000. I got 500 on verbal and 550 on math, while my AW is probably on the higher end. I'm definitely not a good test taker, so I was pleased I scored above the requirement without the AW score. In my opinion, you did pretty darn well! I don't know what program you're looking into/its requirements, but I'd be pretty content with your score :)

Hey all,

Took the GREs today. I scored in the middle of the range I was getting for the Quant and the lower end of the range for Verbal when practiced with power-prep.

720 M

550 CR

I thought AW went surprisingly well, I would not be surprised to score somewhere in the 4-5...maybe 5.5 range.

Of my programs, most don't have a set cut-off, others recommend higher than 70% in both or 1200 overall. What do you here make of my score? Not worth the retake?

Rest of my application is strong- 3 years research, posters, at least 2 pubs in prep, REU in subfield, strong letters of rec, prestigious national research scholarship, solid GPA.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

720 M

550 CR

Thanks.

Considering your research experience, I don't think you should worry about your GRE scores too much. However, the quant score may raise some flags for the lower-ranked schools. Good luck with your applications.

Edited by stackoverflow