Frustrated With Summer Job Search

ZeeMore21

Hi all,

So I was hoping that by now that I would have a job for the summer before I start school in August, but unfortunately I haven't landed anything yet. I was counting on a museum position since I had worked at this same museum last summer in a different position. I had the interview 2 weeks ago, and still haven't heard back from the person who interviewed me. I did do a follow-up call today, but the woman is out until tomorrow so I won't hear back from her until then. But I am not that hopeful about this position...I'm assuming if you don't hear back within a reasonable time, you probably didn't get the spot....but for me not to have heard back with a yes or no is kind of hurtful given that I worked here last summer. I have applied to other positions, but since I plan on starting school in August, I have been rejected since these people are looking for people who can work a longer term.

So basically I'm just frustrated about the whole situation. I've used many job search engines, so I really don't know what I'm doing wrong as to my procedure. Does anyone know of alternate steps I could take? Thanks for listening to me rant, just very disappointed.

Edited by ZeeMore21

You might have an easier time finding a temp job if you don't tell them that you are leaving in August. I know that it seems that you would be screwing them over, but as long as you put in your 2 weeks notice they'll be fine. Better for them to have a good employee for a mew months than to have a crappy one for longer. Also, they technically are not supposed to directly ask how long you plan to work there, they may ask round-about questions like what are your future plans but you are not obligated to tell them that, you'll be attending grad school in the fall. Just my two cents.

You might have an easier time finding a temp job if you don't tell them that you are leaving in August. I know that it seems that you would be screwing them over, but as long as you put in your 2 weeks notice they'll be fine. Better for them to have a good employee for a mew months than to have a crappy one for longer. Also, they technically are not supposed to directly ask how long you plan to work there, they may ask round-about questions like what are your future plans but you are not obligated to tell them that, you'll be attending grad school in the fall. Just my two cents.

I will definitely keep this in mind moving forward Bison, thanks a lot!

I agree with Bison. Temp jobs seem to be a good bet and it will help your chances if you dont tell them you are leaving so early.

I was turned down by many jobs quickly because I told them I had to leave in August. Finally I found a nice easy summer job (see other post :P)

It is a tough situation to find a summer job before grad school. You have at least a Bachelors degree but it doesn't really matter. You can be so qualified in one area but not have a chance of getting a low paying summer job.

Summer jobs are tough, especially "in these economic times" (I'm so tired of hearing that phrase, hah). Last summer I submitted 20-some application (even showed up in person to try to shake hands with a manager, etc.) but I only got one interview.

If you're willing to do freelance work, and can work in a "virtual office", then you might wanna try the following:

www.odesk.com

www.elance.com

www.guru.com

I'm on Odesk, and have had luck in the last week selling my services, which helps me make some cash this summer, as well as keep my practical skills sharp. Guru is where you list your profile, and contactors contact you, whereas Odesk and Elance is where contactors can contact freelancers, and vice-versa.

Also, make sure to check Craigslist. It takes some work, but there jobs listed everyday (obviously be careful of scams, as they're frequent). Admin assistant jobs and other clerical jobs are pretty prevalent.

Now that I found a job, my best piece of advice is to tell everyone you know you are looking for a job and ask if they know of any opportunities. mMaybe it's kind of obvious, but I got a job through someone I knew because it wasn't publicly advertised, so I wasn't competing with anyone else for it.

I do have good news, I did land an interview for an internship position next week! Wish me luck. I am still kind of nervous about what to say when it comes to dealing with leaving in August. The ad for the internship said that the foundation was looking for either a graduate student or college senior. Does this mean that this position is only a summer position? I am wondering if they might be looking for someone who has already completed the graduate or bachelors...but they would have just said "someone with a graduate degree." They didn't make it clear and I am wondering how to find out. Any suggestions? Again, I am kind of nervous about lying in my interview.

• 10 months later...