How does an online grad degree look?

Juliane M

I found a really great grad school program through the University of British Columbia called Adult Education and Global Change. This really interests me, and it's the only program I've seen of its kind. One thing, though--it's online. Does anyone know how an online grad degree would look to future employers? Is it taken as seriously? Or would they even know the degree was obtained online?

I found a really great grad school program through the University of British Columbia called Adult Education and Global Change. This really interests me, and it's the only program I've seen of its kind. One thing, though--it's online. Does anyone know how an online grad degree would look to future employers? Is it taken as seriously? Or would they even know the degree was obtained online?

Is this a Masters? I know that online education has definitely become popular over the years , but I still doubt that online degrees are taken as seriously as traditional degrees. There is still a stigma attached to the online degree in my opinion. Though, maybe you wouldn't have to list this program as online on your resume.

Will the degree say that you earned it online or from UBC? Because, if it just gets you a standard UBC diploma, you may not have to deal with some of the skepticism that accompanies online degrees.

From what I understand, it's not a big deal whether the degree was earned online or not, but where the degree was earned. If you get a degree online through an otherwise known/reputable/brick and mortar school, it shouldn't be a big deal.

If you get a degree online from a for-profit degree mill, it will look bad.

I would tend to agree that it shouldn't be a hindrance to future job prospects in general. UBC is obviously a prestigious and reputable institution and if it chooses to have an online degree, its own institutional 'weight', so to speak, supports it. Of course, in some places, the UBC brand may not carry as much weight; I don't know if your location as 'Peru' is an indicator of where you would be looking for employment, but I'd guess that UBC is not well known there. As well, there's obviously no guarantee that any particular employer won't take it into account, especially in comparison to other candidates.

This is all assuming that there will be some indication that the degree was online. It's probably something you can ask the school directly.

Thanks for your responses. I'm currently serving as a Peace Corps volunteer in Peru, and will start applying for grad schools this fall to attend in fall of 2012.

My brother did his MA in Linguistics online through UMass-Boston (though he did travel to Boston for his comp exam). His diploma will be the same as those who got theirs in-residency. I'm not sure, however, if you are expected to denote if it was done online on your CV.

Edited by natsteel