Chicago Harris, UPenn, GTown, USC or Cornell for private sector

Hi guys,

I have admits to the the following MPP programs:

Chicago Harris

Cornell

USC

UPenn

Georgetown

My primary interest is economic development and public funding but I think I would be best served to get into private consulting initially to gain some experience and follow my dream from there.

Any ideas as to what would possibly place best in public sector consulting in firms such as McKinsey, Boston Consulting Group?

Thanks guys

I thought everyone had to make their decision by April 15th?

Hi guys,

Chicago Harris

Cornell

USC

UPenn

Georgetown

My primary interest is economic development and public funding but I think I would be best served to get into private consulting initially to gain some experience and follow my dream from there.

Any ideas as to what would possibly place best in public sector consulting in firms such as McKinsey, Boston Consulting Group?

Thanks guys

Not familiar with the other programs so I can't comment there but USC has pretty strong relations with Deloitte and there were a fair amount of current students I met there that were trying to get into private consulting. USC is very California-focused (Los Angeles) it's something to consider if you want to be on the east coast.

Hi guys,

Chicago Harris

Cornell

USC

UPenn

Georgetown

Thanks guys

Hi guys,

Chicago Harris

Cornell

USC

UPenn

Georgetown

Thanks guys

Hard to say. Chicago is famous for being quant heavy, which the consultancies really like, but Gtown is in close proximity to a lot of fed contractors, which can't hurt. No idea about USC. I've heard Cornell is a fine program, but they are having trouble placing people with the economy the way it is. A buddy of mine went to Penn and says their econ dev side is very strong and regularly sends people to Public Financial Management, HR&A, and smaller, similar boutiques.

Not familiar with the other programs so I can't comment there but USC has pretty strong relations with Deloitte and there were a fair amount of current students I met there that were trying to get into private consulting. USC is very California-focused (Los Angeles) it's something to consider if you want to be on the east coast.

Thanks.

Would be more then happy to work in the west coast. Deloitte is great but I was thinking more along the lines of BCG or Bain. They have dedicated public sector practices which interests me

Thanks.

Would be more then happy to work in the west coast. Deloitte is great but I was thinking more along the lines of BCG or Bain. They have dedicated public sector practices which interests me

Having formerly worked within MBB; USC will not get you in, Cornell is too new of a program, I would say Fels at UPenn would be a decent bet, as would Harris at Chicago. Keep in mind however outwith of straight from undergraduate consultants, we mainly only hired PhDs, Engineers (at master's level), and most of all MBAs from top 7 programs to (at most top 17 programs, depending).

Having formerly worked within MBB; USC will not get you in, Cornell is too new of a program, I would say Fels at UPenn would be a decent bet, as would Harris at Chicago. Keep in mind however outwith of straight from undergraduate consultants, we mainly only hired PhDs, Engineers (at master's level), and most of all MBAs from top 7 programs to (at most top 17 programs, depending).

Isnt USC really well ranked by US News and a highly regarded program, second tier only to the top ones such as KSG,WWS?

Would you reckon that with the Cornell name and the potential recruits that come onto campus I may be able to leverage a position? The program is very good and I like the ability to take a variety of classes. Will recruiters, particularly at MBB look at that favourably, ie.diverse knowledge base?

Finally, if MBB is out of the question at USC or Cornell, which other public sector practice are well regarded?