Totally confused...help?

Hello GradCafe board,

Long post to follow—apology in advance for the novel :P

I discovered this forum several months ago and have gleaned an unbelievable amount of knowledge about the graduate application process and advanced study in general. I’m hoping someone can offer me some advice that’s more specific to my situation, because I’m really feeling lost and frustrated right now.

I graduated a year ago with a bachelor’s in marketing, which for me translates into a ridiculous amount of debt, coupled with a deep and abiding distaste for the corporate world. I have a lot of skills that are valuable in business (time management, organizational, communication), but I don’t want to spend my life doing something I’m good at if it means I dread going to work each and every day.

Thus begins my search. My research interests are many and varied, but I would really like to pursue an interdisciplinary approach to the genre of fantasy in various media (literature, cinema, art, maybe even video games!) I want to know why Harry Potter and company struck a chord in Western culture, why Zelda is one of Nintendo’s signature game franchises, why attention to detail in fantasy filmmaking can make the film's world totally believable. Heck, who am I kidding; I want an excuse to read Tolkien for days on end without neglecting “real-world” duties! Ha.

I know that’s very broad, and there will certainly be a more definitive and better-worded version of those thoughts in the future. I suppose what I’m looking for is a jumping-off point for researching programs and potential applications. I know I’m rather late for the 2011 app season, and honestly, I think it would be good for me to wait a year to really solidify my interests and get my life in order. Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts/advice on the questions below, they will be much appreciated!

1. What types of programs should I be looking for? I’ve looked into cultural studies, comparative literature, and media studies, but none of them seem to fit quite right.

2. Do I have a chance of getting in with my business background? I have a 3.79 overall GPA (3.66 in my major thanks to all those darn numbers courses, 3.92 in my gen-eds and what was supposed to be an English minor), graduated magna cum laude, and plan to take the GRE in June or September. My CV is…well…essentially nonexistent. Research outside of class, for students in general and particularly in my department, was neither encouraged nor very visible at my alma mater (a small private school that isn’t well-known outside the Midwest). Now I know I should have sought out some opportunities, but…lesson learned.

3. I know I need a stellar SOP (a work in progress), but I’m worried about the recommendations. My professors love me and I know they’d write wonderful letters, but they’re completely outside my field of interest. Since I’m also worried that I don’t have the correct educational background, would it be worth it to look into getting a second bachelor’s degree in English at one of my state universities? (Relatively cheap, decent class offerings, generally not very prestigious—are you seeing a pattern here?)

And I will stop rambling now. See why I’m so confused and lost? :unsure:

It might be worth your time to consider an M.A. before applying to Ph.Ds to help clarify what exactly you are interested in, as well as gaining some research experience in the field. I would suggest looking at NYU's MA in Media, Culture and Communication, as it accepts 30% of applicants and anything above a 1100 on the GRE is what their FAQ's implies is "competitive" (http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/mcc/masters/faq#courses)...

Hello GradCafe board,

Long post to follow—apology in advance for the novel :P

I discovered this forum several months ago and have gleaned an unbelievable amount of knowledge about the graduate application process and advanced study in general. I’m hoping someone can offer me some advice that’s more specific to my situation, because I’m really feeling lost and frustrated right now.

I graduated a year ago with a bachelor’s in marketing, which for me translates into a ridiculous amount of debt, coupled with a deep and abiding distaste for the corporate world. I have a lot of skills that are valuable in business (time management, organizational, communication), but I don’t want to spend my life doing something I’m good at if it means I dread going to work each and every day.

Thus begins my search. My research interests are many and varied, but I would really like to pursue an interdisciplinary approach to the genre of fantasy in various media (literature, cinema, art, maybe even video games!) I want to know why Harry Potter and company struck a chord in Western culture, why Zelda is one of Nintendo’s signature game franchises, why attention to detail in fantasy filmmaking can make the film's world totally believable. Heck, who am I kidding; I want an excuse to read Tolkien for days on end without neglecting “real-world” duties! Ha.

I know that’s very broad, and there will certainly be a more definitive and better-worded version of those thoughts in the future. I suppose what I’m looking for is a jumping-off point for researching programs and potential applications. I know I’m rather late for the 2011 app season, and honestly, I think it would be good for me to wait a year to really solidify my interests and get my life in order. Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts/advice on the questions below, they will be much appreciated!

1. What types of programs should I be looking for? I’ve looked into cultural studies, comparative literature, and media studies, but none of them seem to fit quite right.

2. Do I have a chance of getting in with my business background? I have a 3.79 overall GPA (3.66 in my major thanks to all those darn numbers courses, 3.92 in my gen-eds and what was supposed to be an English minor), graduated magna cum laude, and plan to take the GRE in June or September. My CV is…well…essentially nonexistent. Research outside of class, for students in general and particularly in my department, was neither encouraged nor very visible at my alma mater (a small private school that isn’t well-known outside the Midwest). Now I know I should have sought out some opportunities, but…lesson learned.

3. I know I need a stellar SOP (a work in progress), but I’m worried about the recommendations. My professors love me and I know they’d write wonderful letters, but they’re completely outside my field of interest. Since I’m also worried that I don’t have the correct educational background, would it be worth it to look into getting a second bachelor’s degree in English at one of my state universities? (Relatively cheap, decent class offerings, generally not very prestigious—are you seeing a pattern here?)

And I will stop rambling now. See why I’m so confused and lost? :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

I like the idea of the previous poster of getting a MA over a PhD so that you can solidfy your desires. Since this is totally new territory for you (academic wise), jumping into a 4+ year PhD might make you pull out all your hair.

In terms of getting a new BA: there is a student at my school who already has a BA in history. She taught history/gend ed to highschool punks for a few years before being let go because of budget cuts. She decided that - having dedicated so many years to teaching and never wanting to do it again (she was pissed about getting fired haha), she went back to school to get a BA in communications (I think that's her major. Boy i'm a terrible friend). She has her funds from teaching to help her pay for it and has a pretty valid reason.

I don't see it as a problem for you to go back and get another BA, but why not try applying for a Masters first? Worse comes to worse you will have just wasted the GRE fee and the applicagion fees, but at best you'll be accepted to a program (and take out more debt to pay for it! Yey....). In your Resume or PS, you can always just mention how 'despite not being able to access undergraduate research at [insert school here], I've dedicated my youth years to reading the fiction of [] [] [] and have spent countless hours taking apart their worlds and marveling at their fantasy. I truly hope for the chance to do comparative research on [insert book or book style here] across genre, wondering why [insert your harry potter/zelda comments] in our Western, overly technological society. Thank you for giving me that chance".

I read once from a Prof who sat on a admissions board who said that they really want students who 'want to do research' as much as they want students who have done research. Masters and PhD's are all about DOING research. You need to be excited for it. you need to have ideas and give them a focus.

I wish you luck

Hello GradCafe board,

• 1 month later...

And certainly find a school that's going to view your different educational background as an advantage and something unique to bring to the table. I was a music major, and when applying to science programs, found some that valued the diversity I could bring and others that just worried I would screw up.

In other words, you can do anything with any degree as long as you supplement it. I took postbacc science courses, for example. If I were you, I don't think I would go back and get another BA, but you might want to take some classes in whatever you eventually decide to pursue. It will make you feel better about your decision and the adcomm will know you have some experience to back up your enthusiasm.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...