Professional Organizations and Graduate School

neuropsych76

So in undergrad I joined a couple organizations like The Association for Psychological Science and the Society for Neuroscience because of conferences they had.

But I was wondering how much value joining professional organizations has in grad school? Do most grad students still only join organizations for discounted prices on conferences? Or is it actually good for other things such as networking and applying for grants?

Is anyone here a member of organizations like APA, SfN, or any other psychology organization?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

So in undergrad I joined a couple organizations like The Association for Psychological Science and the Society for Neuroscience because of conferences they had.

But I was wondering how much value joining professional organizations has in grad school? Do most grad students still only join organizations for discounted prices on conferences? Or is it actually good for other things such as networking and applying for grants?

Is anyone here a member of organizations like APA, SfN, or any other psychology organization?

Thanks!

As an undergrad, I am a member of the APS and APA. I haven't gone to a conference but do enjoy the literature, and am debating if I should join the SfN or not.

I don't know if I'm wasting my money or not.

If you have it in your budget, when you go on the job market it looks good on your CV to say you've been a long-standing member of professional organizations, as it shows a commitment to the field. It can also help you to keep up with current conversations in your field—nothing like having a journal delivered directly to your door to make you actually read it. (One of my orgs also distributes newsletters.)

If you have it in your budget, when you go on the job market it looks good on your CV to say you've been a long-standing member of professional organizations, as it shows a commitment to the field. It can also help you to keep up with current conversations in your field—nothing like having a journal delivered directly to your door to make you actually read it. (One of my orgs also distributes newsletters.)

If i'm starting grad school in September (M.S.) and plan to go onto my PhD, what organizations do you think it would be beneficial to join?

I join the organizations whose conferences I want to attend. Another benefit of joining is access to the email lists, where all sorts of useful (and non-useful) information is posted, including calls for proposals, job openings and postdocs.

If i'm starting grad school in September (M.S.) and plan to go onto my PhD, what organizations do you think it would be beneficial to join?

In English we have a large flagship organization (the MLA) for the field as a whole, as well as a flagship organization for my subfield (CCC). The MLA I joined because I attended the conference and because, when I go on the job market, they have a large career fair where most schools do employment interviews (thus I'll definitely need to attend its conference again when I'm on the market). I joined CCC for the conference, the journal, and the importance of having it listed on my CV because of its name/brand value.

There may be similar benefits to the APA, or other large organizations in psychology. (I'll leave specific recs to those here who are actually in your field, though!)

Edited by runonsentence