GRE: To Retake or Not to Retake?

mobell195

I just took the GRE this morning and got a 670V, which is fine, and a 600Q, which is not fine (with me.) I've been testing in the 730-range on Q practice tests (in fact, no scores below 700 since my diagnostic test), but this morning I choked during Q. There were a lot of number theory questions that I wasn't as well-prepared for as geometry and algebra, and I got flustered and ran out of time. I was actually surprised that I even pulled off a 600. I obviously don't know my AW score yet, but I expect it to be strong. I felt better about that than any other part of the exam.

I'm applying to masters in education programs. For the program I'm most interested in, the average scores are around 590V BUT 660Q.

I'm wondering whether I should retake. On the one hand, I'm completely confident that I can do much better than a 600 on quant. But I'm not completely sure I can improve on my verbal score. Verbal is so random, my score could even drop. But, I'm also sure the admissions people will know I have strong verbal skills. I will have a law degree from a top school and several publications. I also worry that because the math is so easy to re-learn if they will think I just didn't study for the quant, when in fact quant was all I studied.

Thoughts? Should I fork out $140 more to raise my quant score?

It seems a lot of weight is placed on the quant section even for social sciences as they see it as a measure of analytical thinking, so if you have the time and the money, I'd retake.

oh, btw, I think I sent you a PM or an email about the law to education thing. Nice to have someone in the same boat :)

I've heard that rising_star, but my thinking is for those of us who are returning to school after a period of time (or coming from a professional degree), the GRE scores serve as a way to demonstrate our current academic competence, but I could be wrong...

I've heard that rising_star, but my thinking is for those of us who are returning to school after a period of time (or coming from a professional degree), the GRE scores serve as a way to demonstrate our current academic competence, but I could be wrong...

That was not the case for my mom when she applied to PhD programs, after 9 years of working. She didn't do spectacularly on the GRE (like 1150 or something) but she got into the one and only program she applied to with that score.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update: I found out that I got a 6.0 on the writing. This makes me even more hesitant to retake - but it is so incredibly hard to stomach that 600 on quant. It drives me crazy. I could get over it if I can get into my program of choice anyway AND if I knew it wouldn't impact my chances for a scholarship that I'm really interested in. I just don't want to retake and get a lower score on verbal or AW, which seem like they must be more important than the quant.

have you take math courses at your college? do you have a strong gpa in that field? If you have dont worry about your Q. GRE Q is really high school math so if you did well in college math you pretty much negate a less than stellar Q score (unless its horendous sub 450)

I will be honest with you, for a master's in education, you GRE scores are more than fine. You have nothing to worry about. Now, if you are for some crazy reason still freaking out about your scores, retake the GRE and skip both the verbal and writing sections. You will not receive a score for either section and thus will not have to worry about getting a score lower than what you currently have in those two sections.

I'm applying to the top-ranked programs in Latin American History, but I blew the AW section of the GRE. I have a 720 verbal (98%), a 670 quantitative (65%), and 4.5 AW. I think these scores might be a little low in general -- I've seen a lot of people on these boards with 1400+ combined scores -- but it's the writing which really bothers me. The irony, of course, is that I won the prize for the best senior thesis in Latin American History my senior year at Yale and I now work as a journalist for a major labor union. Given this experience -- and a well written SoP -- is it worth it to retake the exam?