Previous landlord references

shemeno

I wanted to ask this. I am off to hopefully find an apt. at the beginning of next week. Some of the applications i have looked at say they require 2 years of previous landlord references. I have never had an apt, since i have always lived on campus.

Help?

I wanted to ask this. I am off to hopefully find an apt. at the beginning of next week. Some of the applications i have looked at say they require 2 years of previous landlord references. I have never had an apt, since i have always lived on campus.

Help?

no matter where you lived, provide the reference. in the form, write your on-campus housing's name, address and other info. however, do tell your to-be landlord/s that because you lived on campus, the housing people might not disclose to him/her any personal information related to you. i was in the exact situation a couple of years ago, and i did what i described above. idk if my then-to-be landlord acquired any info about me from the on-campus housing people, but i got the place! :)

imo, as long as your credit score is okay and you don't have a criminal history, getting a new place isn't difficult at all.

The advice above is sound. You should always list your previous landlord, even if that's a university housing department.

Alternately, find smaller complexes or a private landlord. Now, it's possible you could get a slumlord this way but they are often less concerned with things like rental history. In fact, in the 5+ years I've been renting, the only time I had to produce references was the one time I rented from a management company. The rest of the time the landlord knows where to find you so they don't care as much provided you seem nice and trustworthy.

Also, be prepared to have to undergo a credit check since you won't have references.