US Port of Entry

When you get off the plane, you'll wait on a huge line. When your turn comes, the custom official will take a look at your passport and visa, I-20, the documents you brought, etc. Get all of your documents, he'll look at whatever is relevant.

You'll give fingerprints electronically and they'll take a picture of you. You'll be asked stuff like "So, you're a student," "What school is that," "What are you going to be studying," etc. Just general questions you shouldn't be worry about. Then he'll stamp your passport, wish you a great day and you go pick your luggage. Yeah, carry all your documents with you rather than the check-in luggage.

It's nothing scary, I've done that 5 times.

As for the Designated School Official, this is the person who signed your I-20 (somebody from the International students office). His/her name is on the... I-20.

Edited by Ninevah

When you get off the plane, you'll wait on a huge line. When your turn comes, the custom official will take a look at your passport and visa, I-20, the documents you brought, etc. Get all of your documents, he'll look at whatever is relevant.

You'll give fingerprints electronically and they'll take a picture of you. You'll be asked stuff like "So, you're a student," "What school is that," "What are you going to be studying," etc. Just general questions you shouldn't be worry about. Then he'll stamp your passport, wish you a great day and you go pick your luggage. Yeah, carry all your documents with you rather than the check-in luggage.

It's nothing scary, I've done that 5 times.

As for the Designated School Official, this is the person who signed your I-20 (somebody from the International students office). His/her name is on the... I-20.

Thanks! ^_^

Thanks! ^_^

Oh, one more thing. When you are about to land, the flight crew will give you a card called I-94 (I think). you'll have to fill it out and also show it to the custom person. He'll probably staple it to your passport. MAKE SURE you don't lose it at any point of your stay. It shows that you entered legally.

Also, bring your national ID. When you settle in you want to stash your international passport somewhere safe and not carry it with you. It would be royal pain if you lose it! But you can use your national ID for entering bars and buying booze and if you lose it it won't be a big deal.

Edited by Ninevah

When you are about to land, the flight crew will give you a card called I-94 (I think). you'll have to fill it out and also show it to the custom person. He'll probably staple it to your passport. MAKE SURE you don't lose it at any point of your stay. It shows that you entered legally.

THIS. If they don't do it themselves, staple the I-94 to your passport and don't lose it. Next time you leave the US (except to go to Canada, I believe), make sure that someone at the airport takes it from you -- this is what documents the fact that you left the States. Every time you enter the US you'll get a new I-94, and every time you leave you have to give it to the airport officials. There's a procedure for recovering an I-94 if you lose it and there's also a procedure for if you forget to give it back before you leave the US, but you really don't want to have to do that.

As for identification, it's an excellent idea not to use your passport. You can use an ID from home that has your birth-date on it or you can get a state ID (liquor ID) after you arrive in the US. I've personally found that things go much smoother with the local ID, but it may depend on how your ID from home looks and how easy it is to understand--so you can just try showing it at bars a couple of times and seeing how people react.

THIS. If they don't do it themselves, staple the I-94 to your passport and don't lose it. Next time you leave the US (except to go to Canada, I believe), make sure that someone at the airport takes it from you -- this is what documents the fact that you left the States. Every time you enter the US you'll get a new I-94, and every time you leave you have to give it to the airport officials. There's a procedure for recovering an I-94 if you lose it and there's also a procedure for if you forget to give it back before you leave the US, but you really don't want to have to do that.

As for identification, it's an excellent idea not to use your passport. You can use an ID from home that has your birth-date on it or you can get a state ID (liquor ID) after you arrive in the US. I've personally found that things go much smoother with the local ID, but it may depend on how your ID from home looks and how easy it is to understand--so you can just try showing it at bars a couple of times and seeing how people react.

About I-94. Can I actually staple something to my passport??? :o And how will I be able to unstaple it later without leaving ugly holes in it? :unsure:

About ID: Yep, I was planning to get a local ID. That is why I posted that question about SSN earlier, because as far as I understand I will need it or a SSN rejection to get a state ID.

Also, bring your national ID. When you settle in you want to stash your international passport somewhere safe and not carry it with you. It would be royal pain if you lose it! But you can use your national ID for entering bars and buying booze and if you lose it it won't be a big deal.

And while I am trying to get a state ID - will I have to carry my passport around? I hope I won't...

I definetely won't need it for buying booze because I don't like alcohol :) Any other reason I might need to always have the passport with me?

So I just staple I-94 to some empty page in the middle?

Most likely, the immigration officer will staple it for you. They've always done that every time I've entered the US so far. They always staple it to the same place--the page across from the visa--but probably any page will do. Maybe you could use a paper clip if you're worried about holes. I just looked at my passport, and yes - I do have ugly holes in that page. No one ever seemed worried about that.. You should see my I-20, though, it looks like such a mess that they may not even notice the small staple holes :P

And while I am trying to get a state ID - will I have to carry my passport around? I hope I won't...

I definetely won't need it for buying booze because I don't like alcohol :) Any other reason I might need to always have the passport with me?

You should carry some form of identification, in my opinion. I don't know if it has to be a passport, though.

If you don't drink and don't ever plan to sit at a bar with friends who drink, or cook anything with wine or buy certain kinds of medication, maybe you don't need any kind of ID. But I think it's wise to have the option to go to a bar anyway - even if you never go out with friends, you may want to have that option for conferences where people go out in the evening. You don't want to be left out because you can't go out with the group.

Edited by fuzzylogician

You should carry some form of identification, in my opinion. I don't know if it has to be a passport, though.

If you don't drink and don't ever plan to sit at a bar with friends who drink, or cook anything with wine or buy certain kinds of medication, maybe you don't need any kind of ID. But I think it's wise to have the option to go to a bar anyway - even if you never go out with friends, you may want to have that option for conferences where people go out in the evening. You don't want to be left out because you can't go out with the group.

But on a day when I am not planning to go to a bar or buy wine/medication - I don't need to take my passport with me, right?

At some point I will go to a bar of couse, even though I don't drink, so having a state ID that is always with me would be more convenient than thinking every time before leaving home if I have a chance of going to a bar that day or not :D

Oh, and what about my school ID??? Can I use it for bars??

Edited by Strangefox

But on a day when I am not planning to go to a bar or buy wine/medication - I don't need to take my passport with me, right?

But the best outings are the ones you don't plan B)

Seriously, no, you probably don't need the passport. I personally prefer to always leave it safe at home than to carry it with me. I like to have some sort of identification on me, but a school ID is usually enough. I don't know if it's enough for bars, though. Probably not, but you could try, in case it also has you birth date on it. Otherwise don't even try.

Oh, and what about my school ID??? Can I use it for bars??

Your school ID probably won't have your birthday on it (neither my undergrad nor my current school does), so it won't do you any good at a bar.

I don't know if it's enough for bars, though.

One more thing. So I will need an ID (with a date or birth) to go to places where alcohol is sold? Does it include cafes and restaurants? Or only bars and pubs?

One more thing. So I will need an ID (with a date or birth) to go to places where alcohol is sold? Does it include cafes and restaurants? Or only bars and pubs?

For restaurants, you won't need an ID to get in, only if you want to be served alcohol. Some bars, and especially nightclubs, will ask for ID before you go in. If you don't have one, they might not let you in, and may not serve you booze. (Note that in most places- it varies by state- they're supposed to card you, but often they don't. I guess it depends how old you look. Seriously, the majority of bars I've been in don't card anyone.)

In general, most Americans don't carry around ID except for driving.

I just have one minor point to make on the whole ID issue: paper IDs do not seem to be generally recognized. Basically no one in the US (except the DMV) accepted my home country driver's license due to the effect that it's still a paper one. Almost everyone would have accepted it as an ID if it had been plastic...

I just have one minor point to make on the whole ID issue: paper IDs do not seem to be generally recognized. Basically no one in the US (except the DMV) accepted my home country driver's license due to the effect that it's still a paper one. Almost everyone would have accepted it as an ID if it had been plastic...

Are you allowed to laminate it? That probably would've convinced them it was official.

I've never heard of an official national ID made of paper. I guess if you have one of those you might need to get a state ID.

In general, most Americans don't carry around ID except for driving.

Oh, that's good. Then I won't carry my passport around while I am making a state ID. I will just always have my student ID with me. I don't think I will go to bars that often :)

HI there

I strongly suggest you to get a state ID as soon as possible. You just need to go to your closest DMV and show whatever papers they require in your state (requirements vary by state; you can know easily what they want by browsing their website). It's a rather painless process, except for the wait. Then you'll have an ID that is exactly like the ones American have, except it will be written in small prints "temporary visa holder". Once you have it you don't need to have your passport with you for anything. I take the plane within the US on the basis of this state ID. It will make your life much easier because people won't look at you funny anywhere since they'll assume you're a US resident and not a clueless foreigner (even though, as I said, it is written in small prints that you're a temporary visa holder.)

Also as others have suggested it's just very simple to ask for the driving license at the same time if you already have a license from your home country. In my state I needed to take a twenty minute test where they basically ask me whether you should stop at red lights.

In most states you probably won't have enough documents to ask for the state ID in the first weeks you arrive, but as soon as you'll be here for more than a month you'll be fine (depending on states, you may need to show a variety of cards and bills proving your identity and residence, which you usually get after a month or so.) It sounds intimidating at first sight, but it will make your life much easier!

HI there

I strongly suggest you to get a state ID as soon as possible. You just need to go to your closest DMV and show whatever papers they require in your state (requirements vary by state; you can know easily what they want by browsing their website). It's a rather painless process, except for the wait. Then you'll have an ID that is exactly like the ones American have, except it will be written in small prints "temporary visa holder". Once you have it you don't need to have your passport with you for anything. I take the plane within the US on the basis of this state ID. It will make your life much easier because people won't look at you funny anywhere since they'll assume you're a US resident and not a clueless foreigner (even though, as I said, it is written in small prints that you're a temporary visa holder.)

Also as others have suggested it's just very simple to ask for the driving license at the same time if you already have a license from your home country. In my state I needed to take a twenty minute test where they basically ask me whether you should stop at red lights.

In most states you probably won't have enough documents to ask for the state ID in the first weeks you arrive, but as soon as you'll be here for more than a month you'll be fine (depending on states, you may need to show a variety of cards and bills proving your identity and residence, which you usually get after a month or so.) It sounds intimidating at first sight, but it will make your life much easier!

Hi! Thanks for the advice. I have already found the closest DMV and the list of things I need to get a state ID. I will need a SSN or a SSN rejection so when I arrive I will start by getting one or another.

I did not know that I can travel by plane without my passport, only with a state ID. That is cool! I will keep that in mind :)

So you are saying it is not true?

straight form the horse's mouth:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/acceptable_documents.shtm

note after the list: "Non-US/Canadian citizens are not required to carry their passports if they have documents issued by the U.S. government such as Permanent Resident Cards. Those who do not should be carrying their passports while visiting the U.S."

I would interpret this as yes, you really should bring your passport on a domestic flight. "Such as" does not (to me) imply *only* a permanent rez card, but rather *any* fed document: I-94 and visas, would likely count too.

And it would be better to have it along than run into a TSA official who demands one of you; even if they are wrong, you don't ant to argue the point when catching a flight.

So you are saying it is not true?

Just like the previous poster said. You don't want to argue with a jack**s TSA person. They can be extremely rude, so be on the safe side.