Help in applying?

Hello everyone. I graduated with a bachelors in English a year ago with a GPA of 3.0. Now I want to apply to a Ph.D program. I don't have any publications either.

1) My first question is: With a 3.0 would it be a good idea to apply to ivy league and/or topnotch schools? I'm sure I'll get a response telling me there's nothing to lose except I have to save my money just so I can register for the GRE. Those application fees add up.

2)Also, what schools are good to apply to. I'm interested in African American Lit as well as American Lit, haven't really made a final decision. I don't really have anyone who can advise me on this matter so I'm turning here.
I'm currently looking at the University of Virginia, Rutgers University, Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL), University of Pittsburgh, Rice University, Vanderbilt University, and University of Maryland (UMD).

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

This is my view and you can take it or leave it, but I don't think you should be applying to PhD programs in English with a 3.0 GPA (I'm assuming on a 4.0 scale). That's a lot lower than what 90% of the applicants will be bringing to the table. People with pristine academic records and perfect GRE scores get routinely rejected from Ivy/top 20 programs, and while I'm sure there are some anecdotal cases of people getting into their dream programs with lower GPAs/GRE scores, more often than not, it's a crap shoot. The competition for spots in funded PhD programs is fierce, and the fierceness seems to be amplified when it comes to English. Having a low GPA could cause some adcomms to simply eliminate you before they even read your application. Also, while school rankings are somewhat important, the individual people/faculty you wish to work with are much more important. You might find that someone you really admire is not at an Ivy or top 20 school. Personal fit is paramount.

If you really want to apply to PhD programs, producing a stellar statement of purpose and writing sample could go a long way. And solid GRE scores are helpful.

That being said, I don't know how you'd feel about this, but perhaps you should research Masters programs before deciding to go straight for a PhD. A 3.0 GPA would be an obstacle for you if you apply to many grad programs, MA or PhD, but an MA would give you the opportunity to raise your GPA and narrow your focus, so if you decide to apply to PhD programs, you'll have a clear topic you want to concentrate on. What periods of African American/American lit are you interested in? Antebellum? Modernist? What authors, what movements, what critical lens do you find engrossing? I'm sure you have particular articles/works written by scholars you admire; where do they work? Those are questions you can ask yourself when you're wondering what schools are right for you.

Okay, while there are exceptions (your writing sample has the brilliance of Greenblatt, the eloquence of Joyce, and the perspicacity of Plato), your GPA is probably going to have an impact on applications at Ivy schools and top-10 programs. Maybe a really high GRE score would offset that? Not sure. Anyway, there are a few options. First, apply only to dream schools, see what happens, and then go from there (either you'll get in and go somewhere or won't and can reevaluate then). Second, apply to a wide range of Ph.D. programs (a few top 10/top 20, a few in the top 40/50 and a few in the top 100 or so), see what happens, and then either go if you get in or reevaluate if you don't. Third, do a combo of one and two AND apply to MA programs (funded and partially funded). If you get a Ph.D. offer, you can take that, but if you don't get a Ph.D. offer and do get an MA offer, you can go to school, get the MA, and apply as a stronger applicant with, notably, a higher GPA. I would recommend option three, but that's your decision. Your stated interests are VERY broad. That may just be because you're looking for initial feedback but actually have really narrow interests. If that's the case, I'd recommend sharing those specific interests to get more informed recommendations from people with similar interests. Most schools have American lit programs and lots of Southern schools in particular have good African American lit programs. However, without some specifics, we can't really help you, especially people like me who are early modernists specializing in poetry from about 1590-1620 and critical theory dealing with subjectivity, politics, and gender/sexuality. I would say that the best way to start researching programs on your own is go to the rankings to get an idea of what schools even have programs. Then, go to those programs webpages and read about the faculty in your subfields. If you find faculty you're interested in, read their work and see if there are overlaps in your interest areas. Pick programs for professors.

Edited by lyonessrampant

Hello everyone. I graduated with a bachelors in English a year ago with a GPA of 3.0. Now I want to apply to a Ph.D program. I don't have any publications either.

1) My first question is: With a 3.0 would it be a good idea to apply to ivy league and/or topnotch schools? I'm sure I'll get a response telling me there's nothing to lose except I have to save my money just so I can register for the GRE. Those application fees add up.

With the scant information given, I'll going to second what greenlee said: you shouldn't bother applying to "ivy league and/or topnotch schools." Humanities PhD programs are extremely competitive; a 3.0 GPA, unless it is accompanied by fantastic LORs and a great statement of purpose/writing sample, is not competitive at all. Like greenlee said, many ivy league programs will likely reject you based on your GPA alone. On Harvard's website, for example, they state that applicants need a minimum A- GPA in English courses. You can count on many Harvard applicants possessing 4.0 GPAs.

2)Also, what schools are good to apply to. I'm interested in African American Lit as well as American Lit, haven't really made a final decision. I don't really have anyone who can advise me on this matter so I'm turning here.

Like greenlee, I suggest looking into MA programs: funded programs do exist, though they are rare, and the competition for MA programs is much less rigorous (though acquiring full funding in MA programs is likely still quite competitive). Look to schools without PhD programs in English; their MA students will receive a lot more attention from professors. Look for programs that will give you a strong general foundation in the subfields in English Literature as well as allowing you to fine-tune your research interests.

I'm still an undergraduate (so take this with a grain of salt), but I don't think you're ready for "ivy league and/or topnotch" PhD programs in English. Strong MA programs (Villanova, Wake Forest, etc) claim that that they place their graduates into prestigious universities (including Ivy league schools). If an ivy is what you desire, I'd look into such programs. Remember that the most important thing is fit: the ivies may not be as strong of a fit as lower-ranked (but still respectable) programs. Much research is needed on your part.

Edited by Two Espressos

Thank you all very much for your helpful feedback. Even though my GPA is a 3.0 because of some of the science and math electives, I do understand that there are applicants who took the same courses and maintained a good GPA. I'm planning to take the GRE along with the subject and going to apply to Masters programs and a few lower-ranking Phd programs. I'm also going to try to sharpen my writing sample and personal statement.

Thank you all once again, I really appreciate it.

Oh! Well, that changes things. There is a difference between your overall GPA and your major GPA. What is your GPA for only your English major? Also, is your GPA for the last two years of college a lot higher? That all matters. In fact, a lot of applications ask for all of those GPAs. If they don't, you might mention in your SOP that (if) your major GPA is a lot higher than your overall GPA.