It feels like the GRE is ruining my future

Bennet

I am so frustrated. I took the GRE for a second time and my results were still abysmal, despite studying. I don't care about my quantitative score because I'm applying for MA programs in English that all say they don't look at the quantitative score, but they certainly look at the Verbal and Analytical Writing, and I haven't improved.

The thing is, I honestly don't think it matters how much I study, I have just always been a terrible test taker, period. I freeze up and panic and second guess myself, and always run out of time. I don't have the money to retake the GRE for a third time, but I'm scared of my scores ruining my application.

I just graduated from college with a 3.75 GPA so I hope they would look at that and know I'm not stupid, but I'm worried that won't matter much because it's not a very well known college. Do you think that my GRE scores are really going to ruin my chances? I have to go to graduate school to get the job I want, and I don't want to be held back from my future just because I'm not a good standardized test taker.

Edited by Bennet

Since you don't give your GRE scores, how can any of us guess whether or not they'll hurt your chances?

There's a large difference between a 300 V "abysmal" score and a 500 V "abysmal" score.

If you don't want to disclose your actual scores you can say "I got less than a ____" or something like that in order for us to better advise you. Like Eigen said, the word "abysmal" is subjective. It might not be as bad as you think.

The thing is, I honestly don't think it matters how much I study, I have just always been a terrible test taker, period. I freeze up and panic and second guess myself, and always run out of time. I don't have the money to retake the GRE for a third time, but I'm scared of my scores ruining my application. I just graduated from college with a 3.75 GPA so I hope they would look at that and know I'm not stupid, but I'm worried that won't matter much because it's not a very well known college. Do you think that my GRE scores are really going to ruin my chances? I have to go to graduate school to get the job I want, and I don't want to be held back from my future just because I'm not a good standardized test taker.

Like someone said, how can we possibly tell you anything without knowing your scores or the "very well known college" to which you are applying. I would also hope that you're not only applying to one school.

Finally, keep in mind that even if you gave us that info, the GRE and GPA alone would tell us almost nothing about your qualifications or how an adcomm would perceive them since your LORs, SOP, and writing sample are each more important than the GRE and GPA combined for graduate programs in English. That said, I imagine something like a 400V on the GRE for a native speaker would rule you out in the initial rounds at many schools.

Sorry about the vagueness! I got 540 and 520 Verbal, which are abysmal to me. And natsteel, I didn't say I was applying to a very well known college, I said my GPA was from a college that is not very well known. Sorry for the confusion. I'm applying to a variety of grad schools, some well known and some not.

Those are a bit low for English, but if you have a strong packet (fantastic writing sample, strong LoRs, strong and clear SoP), I think you might be able to overcome them.

I overcame a low verbal myself (a 570) and had two actively courting acceptances, but then again, I received kind rejection letters from all of my reach schools on my list. (Though I didn't ask why I was rejected, so it may be that the GRE wasn't the reason.)

At any rate, I'd definitely recommend you make sure you apply to a range of schools. You might also speak to your recommenders—ask them to specifically address your capacity for graduate-level work (the outcome the GRE supposedly measures).

Edited by runonsentence

I am so frustrated. I took the GRE for a second time and my results were still abysmal, despite studying. I don't care about my quantitative score because I'm applying for MA programs in English that all say they don't look at the quantitative score, but they certainly look at the Verbal and Analytical Writing, and I haven't improved.

The thing is, I honestly don't think it matters how much I study, I have just always been a terrible test taker, period. I freeze up and panic and second guess myself, and always run out of time. I don't have the money to retake the GRE for a third time, but I'm scared of my scores ruining my application.

I just graduated from college with a 3.75 GPA so I hope they would look at that and know I'm not stupid, but I'm worried that won't matter much because it's not a very well known college. Do you think that my GRE scores are really going to ruin my chances? I have to go to graduate school to get the job I want, and I don't want to be held back from my future just because I'm not a good standardized test taker.

I feel for you! I just retook the GRE only to improve my score by 10 points. I went from a 550 to a 560. I am terrified that everything I have been working for is going to be ruined by this one stupid test. I really didn't want to have to wait another year to get in somewhere, so I'm thinking I'm going to have to retake it. Only, I have no idea what else I can do. I keep studying, and when I do the practice tests, I get around the 680s, so I'm not sure what is happening. I guess I have test anxiety or something, but that's not helping me.....

My mentor, who sat on the adcom at my university this past year, has told me that GRE scores don't break an application (a number of my undergrad profs and friends in grad school assured me of this as well during my first application cycle). In the case of the adcom here, they use GREs more as a secondary consideration: something they might use when breaking a "tie" between two similar students, say. Without a doubt, the writing sample, SoP, and LoRs are the most important components of your application.

You should still do everything you can to produce a strong and well-rounded application, of course. I say this to help quell the panic that is quickly climbing in the room. You should still apply and still give it a shot, I think.

Sorry about the vagueness! I got 540 and 520 Verbal, which are abysmal to me. And natsteel, I didn't say I was applying to a very well known college, I said my GPA was from a college that is not very well known. Sorry for the confusion. I'm applying to a variety of grad schools, some well known and some not.

I read that wrong. My apologies. Sorry if that mistakenly came off as harsh.

540V isn't really "abysmal." It certainly shouldn't preclude you outright from consideration at most schools. Did you use one of the prep books? Are you sure you can't improve the score by working on some GRE-specific test-taking skills or are you just discouraged at the moment?

Also, don't worry about how well known your undergrad institution is. I come from a large public university system that is not regarded well at all and I still got into my top choice. And my case is not exactly unique. Your work and application materials will matter far more than where your degree is from.

I had many of the same concerns as you the summer before I applied. Don't let the GRE get you discouraged to the point where it affects the rest of your application. If 540V is the best you can do... so be it. Then just put that much more effort on the rest of your application. In reality, that is all you can do. But be aware that the whole admissions process is highly subjective and I've heard many people describe it, fairly accurately in my estimation as well, as a "crap shoot." There are so many factors that are out of the applicants' control that it's impossible to predict anything. Just do all you possibly can.

Edited by natsteel

I feel you. The GRE is the biggest roadblock between me and my future (I realize that is not correct English, I'm sorry. I realize that wasn't either. I don't really care.)

I have a 3.9, years of research experience (independent and as an assistant on a well-received book in my field), several awards, presentations, and three seriously effing abysmal GRE scores. ETS has rejected my request for a time extension twice despite psycho-educational testing results that made a very convincing case I need it. Those cost me $3,300, by the way.

I'm in the same boat as you. I scored a 540 V, 350 Q (HORRIBLE at math), and a 5.5AW the first time I wrote the GRE. I should note that I am Canadian and we don't have standardized testing in our school system, and I'm also applying to anthropology PhD programs, so the Q score isn't of terrible importance.

I am retaking the GRE next week, but haven't really had time to adequately prepare due to school/work/life. I'm hoping to up my V score to at least 600, but who knows if that will happen because, like you, I am not the best at taking standardized exams!

All I can recommend is:

1. Have you thought about applying to Canadian/UK-based MA/MPhil programs that do not require the GRE?

2. And if those don't work for you, don't worry about the GRE. To echo what many people say around here on the Grad Cafe, the GRE is NOT the most important part of your application - not by a long shot. Some schools have minimum scores, so just ensure the ones you're applying to don't. Otherwise, let your strengths and brilliance shine through in your applications. Don't apologize for your GRE scores, because the GRE is BS. (Sorry, ETS).

Good luck!