The GRE Literature Subject Test

For those interested, here are some schools I've looked at organized by sub-test/no sub-test requirements:

No subtest required: UNC, Duke, Chicago, Columbia, Brown, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Rice, UCSD

Subtest Required: UVA, Yale, Berkeley, Stanford, Harvard, UT Austin, Notre Dame, Boston College, Wash U StL, NYU, Cornell

I know I've looked at others, but I don't have more info handy. It might be pretty useful to keep a running list somewhere to keep updating, though. For posterity's sake...

Just wanted to note that Boston College DOES require the subject test for the MA program: http://www.bc.edu/schools/cas/english/graduate/masters.html

I, along with everyone at my university, had to take a comprehensive exam last spring that each department requires in order for seniors to graduate. At least in regards to the English department's exam, I ultimately studied infinitely too thoroughly, having been unaware that despite the exam's five-hour length and its content consisting of everything covered in all the English courses available at my institution, the responses the faculty expected were basically on par with the GRE Lit subject test.

WIKIPEDIA EVERYTHING. I think the Vade Mecum's material is heavily drawn from Wikipedia articles already; but seriously, with a few exceptions that insist upon slightly more in-depth studying in order to acquire a basic familiarity with the works, Wikipedia concisely outlines all the information one really needs to know for this type of exam.

Meaning...my 5-page handwritten analysis of Titania's speech in II.i (the one that begins with "Set your heart at rest," and one of the rare textual explications/interpretations I've thought up that I consider among my tiny top handful of legitimately really good ones) was 4 1/2 pages too long, given that all I actually had to identify was who wrote the passage, what work it's in, who says it in the work, and a basic outline of the context in which it's said.

My point is that I think making a spreadsheet, or I guess a Word document with a gigantic table, in which basic information is organized altogether (separate columns for writer, work, period and/or year published, main characters or similar relevant info, BASIC plot summary, etc.) could be a really efficient way to go about studying for this. Most of the info needed is already on the VM and HL sites, so compiling it shouldn't be too terrible.

Oh, and off the top of my head, for anyone not too familiar with or confident about Chaucer:

- First: Wikipedia rhyme royal; Chaucer essentially fathered it and if you can recognize it when examining a poem, there's a good chance it's something Chaucer wrote...at least if it's in Middle English...or French...

- The Wife of Bath's Prologue (the Tale might be helpful but is rarely the subject of test questions itself)*

- The Merchant's Tale

- The Knight's Tale

- The Miller's Tale*

- The Pardoner's Tale

- The Clerk's Tale*

- Parliament of Fowls (fairly short and comparatively easy)

* = think about marriage when reading these

http://www.librarius.com/canttran/wftltrfs.htm ---> this site is useful, if not entirely user-friendly, as it takes some getting used to with the different sections separated on the same page, etc.

I'm another October taker, and I just wanted to give a huge thank you to everyone that has contributed study material info to this thread.

In my cubicle at work, I am surrounded by Nortons of all kinds (Brit Lit., Lit. by Women, World Masterpieces, Am. Lit., Greenblatt's Shakespeare), notes from college, and various Masterplot volumes (currently have 5 of the umpteen here) plus the two practice tests I could scrounge up and the Princeton Review study guide. Yesterday, by some struck of Google luck, I stumbled across this forum and my anxiety level plummeted.

Just the knowledge that there are, in fact, others out there going through the same mess is profoundly comforting.

In my cubicle at work, I am surrounded by Nortons of all kinds (Brit Lit., Lit. by Women, World Masterpieces, Am. Lit., Greenblatt's Shakespeare), notes from college, and various Masterplot volumes (currently have 5 of the umpteen here) plus the two practice tests I could scrounge up and the Princeton Review study guide.

Hahaha clairecate, I feel you! I've been working as a temp all summer, and while a number of my jobs don't let me read at my desk, so I can't bring the Nortons with me, I have a massive study guide I just keep editing and then e-mailing to myself once my assignments are over. Ahh the joys of trying to prep for this process while having to work all day just to pay for it!

I took the advice of a previous poster and took a practice subject test with absolutely NO studying to get an idea of where I'm at and how much studying I would have to do, and I was pleasantly surprised that I got a 530. While this isn't an amazing score, it's not that bad since I have never taken a British lit class in my life. Getting the 530 made me feel confident that I could do enough studying to get a score in the 600s that would make me feel comfortable sending it.

I took the advice of a previous poster and took a practice subject test with absolutely NO studying to get an idea of where I'm at and how much studying I would have to do, and I was pleasantly surprised that I got a 530. While this isn't an amazing score, it's not that bad since I have never taken a British lit class in my life. Getting the 530 made me feel confident that I could do enough studying to get a score in the 600s that would make me feel comfortable sending it.

I did this last summer, when I was at least 5 or 6 English classes less well-read. :) Now, unfortunately, I can't find any more practice tests that I don't have basically memorized. I bought the Princeton Review book, which I've been holding onto for dear life. I haven't even opened it yet, because I want to take it like a week before the actual test, to gauge (however approximately) how much cramming I'll need to do.

Unfortunately, the only practice tests I've been able to find online I basically have memorized. I even have names for them: the "tilting at windmills" test and the "white whale" test, which come from the first questions of each. I'm such a nerd. :D But now I'm not sure if re-taking these will even accurately predict anything for me. I won't really know if I'm getting things right because my studying is paying off or because I have answers pretty much memorized! The only good thing is it seems like certain questions pop up nearly every test (such as identifying the speaker of a passage from Moby Dick as Ahab...I've seen that one multiple times). I did find one other one once, which I sketchily downloaded from a site that probably gave me some sort of virus, but I was willing to take that risk.

I know this point has been discussed all over the internet (to little avail), but does anyone on here know where I might find some other practice tests? I doubt it, but figure it's worth a try, anyway!

There are practice tests in some of the print study books published out there, though I'm not sure how accurate they are at indicating your score.

Yeah, I have the REA book, which isn't great. A lot of the questions do what the GRE often doesn't even require you to do, like identifying the speaker of a line or passage but giving answer choices all for the same work. And these are typically Restoration comedies. Blehhhhhh.

I mean, I'm an 18th-centuryist...I love Restoration comedies... *eye roll*

Well, the earliest lit I have read (this is including undergrad and master's) is American Romantics. So, yeah. I'm definitely at a deficit.

Timshel, I wish we could pool our knowledge for this test. Grrr. I know virtually nothing about American lit, with the exception of American Modernist fiction. Let's find a Medievalist, combine our three brains, and be set!

This might be dusty old news to everyone, but when I registered for the subject test (which I'm taking in November), I selected whatever box indicated that I wanted to be mailed a practice exam from ETS. I haven't looked at all of it, but so far it's not the same as past practice tests I've encountered. I'm pretty sure I had to manually check something to express my desire to receive this practice exam, so if you've already registered and haven't gotten one in the mail yet perhaps there's a way to request a copy despite having already registered and presumably stated you didn't want to get the practice booklet...

Me too. I think I've mentioned before on here that when I took the subject test last year they moved the test center without telling anyone! Or at least possibly some people were told, but I certainly wasn't and neither were the 12-or-so others manically running through Test Center Town, without a map, trying to follow some scribbled instructions they'd left taped INSIDE a door (which of course no-one noticed until it was almost too late).

Not to alarm this year's test takers or anything... but, yeah, be prepared for lots of general administrative incompetence (ETS themselves were actually great and very organized, but the people they contract out to...huh.)

I think I'm still having post-traumatic flashbacks to this mad dash through the city...

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I just signed up on this forum. I have a question about the advanced literature portion of the GRE. I was told if I took this, and scored in the 50th percentile or above, it would circumvent my not having all of the English undergrad requirements. The school I want to attend requires at least 18 credit hours of undergrad literature. I am confused about this advanced literature portion of the GRE...I registered at the official GRE ETS website, but I could not find any information whatsoever about this "advanced" literature section. So, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this, and wether it exists. Was anyone else required to take a special literature section in order to be admitted to graduate school, or was the normal English literature part of the GRE sufficient? The school I want to attend (actually it's the only school in my area) has given me mixed messages about entrance requirements, but I suppose that's another topic alltogether. In any case, if anyone knows anything, please let me know. Thanks.

Okay, I don't want to be one of those "is my score okay?" people, but I'm just really trying to ration out the money for this process, and if I don't have to fight ETS for this test, I'd rather not.

So, I got a 620 (which I'd thought was a 660 after not looking at it for a year or two and good grief was there egg on my face when I realized I'd been accidentally lying on applications).  Anyway. 620: retake or do not retake? Is improving this going to make any difference?  I'm going into my sort-of 3rd or 4th application cycle, so I'm willing to do a lot of stuff, but I figured I'd check here.

Okay, I don't want to be one of those "is my score okay?" people, but I'm just really trying to ration out the money for this process, and if I don't have to fight ETS for this test, I'd rather not.

So, I got a 620 (which I'd thought was a 660 after not looking at it for a year or two and good grief was there egg on my face when I realized I'd been accidentally lying on applications).  Anyway. 620: retake or do not retake? Is improving this going to make any difference?  I'm going into my sort-of 3rd or 4th application cycle, so I'm willing to do a lot of stuff, but I figured I'd check here.

I'd imagine that it is the percentage that counts as this changes over time?

I got a 570, which was the 56th percentile.  I got into three schools, but none of them required the subject test.  Of the schools that did require the subject test, I was waitlisted at one of them and denied outright at the other four.  I think a 620 should be enough; it's unlikely you'll significantly increase it by taking the test again and your time would be far better spent working on your SOP and writing sample than trying to slog through Paradise Lost (yes, I'm still bitter that I was told there are always questions on that book, I read it cover to cover, and there wasn't a damn question on it for the entire test).

Hi,

I just signed up on this forum. I have a question about the advanced literature portion of the GRE. I was told if I took this, and scored in the 50th percentile or above, it would circumvent my not having all of the English undergrad requirements. The school I want to attend requires at least 18 credit hours of undergrad literature. I am confused about this advanced literature portion of the GRE...I registered at the official GRE ETS website, but I could not find any information whatsoever about this "advanced" literature section. So, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this, and wether it exists. Was anyone else required to take a special literature section in order to be admitted to graduate school, or was the normal English literature part of the GRE sufficient? The school I want to attend (actually it's the only school in my area) has given me mixed messages about entrance requirements, but I suppose that's another topic alltogether. In any case, if anyone knows anything, please let me know. Thanks.

Hi, from my understanding, when people refer to the "advanced literature section," they are referring to the literature subject test.  ETS (the company that makes the GRE) does not have a more advanced literature test than the subject one.  GL!

1) I would recommend investing some time reading renaissance and restoration era texts if that's not an era you have a lot of experience with. For one reason.

A lot of questions will give you a passage and ask you what a word means in it's given context. Sometimes it's something as simple as knowing that the word "want" used to mean "lack" and not "desire" Other times it can be more complicated. Anyway, they could take a toll on a test-taker who doesn't have much experience reading in that era.

2) Don't put too much stake on what any strategy guide tells you. I get the impression the testmakers are good at staying one step ahead of that stuff.

I got a 570, which was the 56th percentile.  I got into three schools, but none of them required the subject test.  Of the schools that did require the subject test, I was waitlisted at one of them and denied outright at the other four.  I think a 620 should be enough; it's unlikely you'll significantly increase it by taking the test again and your time would be far better spent working on your SOP and writing sample than trying to slog through Paradise Lost (yes, I'm still bitter that I was told there are always questions on that book, I read it cover to cover, and there wasn't a damn question on it for the entire test).

Just to add, I scored in this wheelhouse. I think it was 540, in the 44th percentile. All but one of the schools I applied to required the subject test. I didn't get into the one that didn't require it. I did get into one great top 40 that required the test, with full funding and their highest fellowship distinction to boot. So...SOP, writing sample, recommendations. Test scores are important to some (maybe many) schools, but they aren't the only thing. At least not in my case.

I scored in the 49th percentile, which got me into 5 schools, only one of which required the Subject Test. However, my (brilliant) friend scored somewhere below the 20th percentile and got in to all but one of the programs he applied to, including top 5 and top 8 programs (according the USNWR anyway).

I would only encourage you to take it again if and only if you think you will spend the time really reading the material and immersing yourself in the eras that the majority of the test covers. If you just would take it again just to take it, I wouldn't bother. It's such a waste of money and time in the first place.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like, in your situation, I would not retake it.  I scored only 60 points better when I retook it, and I took it the first time after going to my grandmother's funeral and then flying across the country to take the GRE (and then flying back to go to my grandmother's burial; ETS wouldn't let me change the GRE test location).  I thought that there would be a more significant improvement given the ridiculous circumstances when I took it the first time, but there weren't really.  What got me into better programs the second round was that everything else was a lot better (my LORs, SOP, and WS).

(ETA: would it properly be LsOR instead of LORs?)

Edited by Lons

Thanks for the advice, everyone.  I think I will nix the subject test, then.  Gonna retake the general, since I *think* I can do a fair amount better on that one, but I'll save the Subject test money for...one or two application fees in the future.

(Do not screw with the acronyms. You are messing with GC bible there. :D)