The GRE Literature Subject Test

For those that have taken it, do you suggest taking the subject test before the general test or after?

I think it depends on what you're most concerned about. I took my subject test in October and my general in November because I was much more worried about the subject test and ended up preparing very little for the general test. This worked for me because I didn't want to have to think about the general test at all until after I'd completed the subject test. But others might feel they'd rather wait until later to take the subject test to have more study time. The general test could also be a practice run for the stressful testing situation of the subject test if you struggle in testing environments.

I convinced myself that by registering for the earlier subject test, I'd have time to take it again if I needed to — but this didn't work out as the registration deadline for the next test was before I even took the first one. For me, it was a matter of negotiating my stresses and anxieties into a schedule that I believed was advantageous. Realistically, I don't think it makes any difference. Do what feels better.

• 2 months later...

Question: I have to take the subject test in Literature.  There are two dates in my city (fortunately, I'm in a big city).  One's September 28th, the other October 19th.  I probably need to do the Oct.19th because I won't have enough money to register until 9/15.  In your experience, do these things fill up so fast that waiting til the 15th of Sept. to register put me at risk of not getting a spot to take the test on 10/19?  Or does there tend to be plenty of availability right up til test date?  Thanks.  

It's worth noting that the regular registration deadline for the October 19th test is September 13th. After that, you have 1 week -- until September 20th -- to register with an additional $25 fee. Whether the test fills up or not depends on the size of the test centers, but if you can scrape together the funds before the regular registration deadline you might like to save the $25!

Quick question - I'm about to sign up for the lit GRE in the next couple of days, and didn't realize that they asked for your four schools to send the scores to when you register. I am debating whether to have them send the most recent score or all scores, as I understand that "all scores" encompasses the general GRE test? I took the GRE twice, and my most recent one is better than the earlier one. Would it hurt my application if the schools saw both of my scores, or would they just take the composite? Or does it depend on the school? 

I imagine it depends on the school.

If you're worried about it and can afford the extra send fee, I would recommend the peace of mind of sending scores individually. If you're worried about the cost, however, I would trust in the graduate school admissions process -- improvement is improvement.

Incidentally, how much better is the second score? I can make a case for it either way -- if significantly, perhaps you just had some awful circumstances the first time around; if minorly, well, better is better! -- but I tend to be more forgiving than some. ;)

Thanks! I decided to send them separately, and realized that you can change your score recipients up until three days before the test!

Besides taking practice tests and going over the few good GRE prep websites for lit, what are you all doing to prepare? I'm making an outline that's basically the reading list here organized by period/American/British/World. It's getting really long, but I think it'll be helpful as I'm including dates and hyperlinks to bios/shorter works online so they would be easier to revisit. 

I'm registered to take the Subject test (Literature) on 9/28.  I wish I had time to study for it just a little, but I have absolutely no time.  I'm studying for the General test, plus auditing two classes this semester in order to get strong letters of rec.  (Professors I've had in the past but who I want to know me better and to see even more current work from me.)  I plan to familiarize myself with the test format for the Subject Test in the three days before I take it, but I'm not studying at all.   

• 4 weeks later...

It's crunch time for the October test day!  How's everyone's studying going?  I'm still scoring in the high 500s after months of regular study.  Ugh.

I'm looking forward to reading less plays/short stories and more long ass novels after this is over. I'm learning a lot of little tidbits, which I find pretty fun if not real useful.

Is anyone having trouble accessing Vade Mecum? I've tried from two computers and my phone. I'm dependent on it at this point and the test is in less than two weeks!

Edited by jestaylor

Is anyone having trouble accessing Vade Mecum? I've tried from two computers and my phone. I'm dependent on it at this point and the test is in less than two weeks!

I was just going to post this. Seems I'm not the only one...

My admission ticket has my nickname and not my full legal name. I called ETS about it and apparently it's up to the proctor to decide whether I test or not. Extraordinary that a bureaucratic mistake could allow one to not be able to apply to certain schools.

My admission ticket has my nickname and not my full legal name. I called ETS about it and apparently it's up to the proctor to decide whether I test or not. Extraordinary that a bureaucratic mistake could allow one to not be able to apply to certain schools.

Damn. There's not really much to say to make you feel better about that. Feels hug?

i-know-that-feel.jpg

I know the last thing you need is more stress...

hoping that the proctor is an understanding creature...

all the very best for this miserable miserable exam...

last 14 hours...

my brain has shut down.

"F**K ALL THESE BLOODY DEAD WHITE MALES AND OBJECTIVE CORRELATION OF PETRARCHAN STANZAS ON THE TRANSCENDENTALISM OF THE BOSTON BRAHMINS !!!" 

• 2 weeks later...