Clinical Psychology PsyD Nova

Brett2352

I hope someone out there can give me some advice. I'm trying despreitly to get accepted to the Psyd program and Nova Southeastern University. I've applied 3 times in the past, twice being denied and once wait listed. This will be my fourth attempt. I have my BA in Psy from FAU with a overall GPA of 2.9, i have a psy GPA of 3.5 and upper graduate of 3.3. Early math classes killed my overall gpa. I earned my MS in Family Therapy with a 4.0 GPA. I have two years of experience working in the field, good letters of rec, and have been a student of The famous Dr. Minuchin. My GRE the first time I took it was a 930 and i tool it again today and scored a 990. I don't want to paint my entire life story but does anyone have suggestions on what i could do to help me become a stronger candidate? Im considering taking the GRE PSY subject test and even attempting the GRE for a thrid try. I fear I might have to do another Masters!! Does anyone have some idea's that could help me reach my dream?

I hope someone out there can give me some advice. I'm trying despreitly to get accepted to the Psyd program and Nova Southeastern University. I've applied 3 times in the past, twice being denied and once wait listed. This will be my fourth attempt. I have my BA in Psy from FAU with a overall GPA of 2.9, i have a psy GPA of 3.5 and upper graduate of 3.3. Early math classes killed my overall gpa. I earned my MS in Family Therapy with a 4.0 GPA. I have two years of experience working in the field, good letters of rec, and have been a student of The famous Dr. Minuchin. My GRE the first time I took it was a 930 and i tool it again today and scored a 990. I don't want to paint my entire life story but does anyone have suggestions on what i could do to help me become a stronger candidate? Im considering taking the GRE PSY subject test and even attempting the GRE for a thrid try. I fear I might have to do another Masters!! Does anyone have some idea's that could help me reach my dream?

I would really think you would need to increase your GRE and maybe take and do well on the Psych GRE.

Do you really want/need the Psy.D though? You already have a masters in family therapy so I'm guessing you can practice therapy already. A Psy.D from Nova will put you 200+k in debt.

I would really think you would need to increase your GRE and maybe take and do well on the Psych GRE.

Do you really want/need the Psy.D though? You already have a masters in family therapy so I'm guessing you can practice therapy already. A Psy.D from Nova will put you 200+k in debt.

I really want/need to do it. I know I can do therapy now but I don't feel 2 years is enough training esp in disorders. Plus it will open a lot of doors for me professionally. Lastly, I just ove learning and I have a passion to know more.

I've taken the GRE twice and now there changing it. I'm hoping the 990 i got

yesterday will be enough since Its so close to 1000. But i am preparing to take it again before dec. Also without a doubt going to take the subject test. I took a pre test and i scored in the 500's with out any studying so im sure in two months i'll be able to get into the 700's i hope.

I really want/need to do it. I know I can do therapy now but I don't feel 2 years is enough training esp in disorders. Plus it will open a lot of doors for me professionally. Lastly, I just ove learning and I have a passion to know more.

It doesn't sound like you really have a compelling reason to get a PsyD. It will probably open fewer doors for you professionally than you think, especially since you already have a relevant MS and work experience. If you're qualified to do therapy, keep doing it! I have heard that the clinical field is changing somewhat, as more and more services are being provided by practitioners with masters degrees in counseling, substance abuse, or social work.

How much did your masters cost? How much do you think the PsyD would add to your salary? What do you think the monthly loan payments are going to be for 200k+ in non-dischargeable debt? What other certifications can you get that would help you professionally? Loving learning doesn't mean you should go into massive debt for another degree. If you've worked with "The famous Dr. Minuchin" and enjoyed it, keep being involved with research. That is a much cheaper way to foster your love of learning!

Thank you for replying and trust me your not the first person to suggest not pursuing my Doctorate. It might not seem so from that short blurb but I do have convinceing reasons and other motivating factors involved that i didn't mention. Yes the debt it huge but my masters cost me 30k but debt is the least of my worries. I've been working in an agency for over a year now and it's safe to say that yea your right regarding Masters level therapist but there is no room for growth or expansion with just a MS. Im intrested in working in a hospital setting and its very odd for a hospital to hire anyone besides doctorate psychologists. I'm interested in testing, teaching(which i can do with a PsyD), and working with children with disorders. All three of those area's id be unable to do with out higher education. In addition, the passion behind expanding my self. I could go on and on but I appreciate your imput. It might sound foolish to some but this is a dream, passion, and life long goal to become a psychologist. I just hope NSU gives me the opportunity to prove how deep my dedication runs.

Thank you for replying and trust me your not the first person to suggest not pursuing my Doctorate. It might not seem so from that short blurb but I do have convinceing reasons and other motivating factors involved that i didn't mention. Yes the debt it huge but my masters cost me 30k but debt is the least of my worries. I've been working in an agency for over a year now and it's safe to say that yea your right regarding Masters level therapist but there is no room for growth or expansion with just a MS. Im intrested in working in a hospital setting and its very odd for a hospital to hire anyone besides doctorate psychologists. I'm interested in testing, teaching(which i can do with a PsyD), and working with children with disorders. All three of those area's id be unable to do with out higher education. In addition, the passion behind expanding my self. I could go on and on but I appreciate your imput. It might sound foolish to some but this is a dream, passion, and life long goal to become a psychologist. I just hope NSU gives me the opportunity to prove how deep my dedication runs.

This sounds pretty broad and unrefined... maybe your statement of purpose/intents/reasons for pursuing your PsyD are not being expressed in a refined, convincing manner to Nova. Consider this as well as the above postings.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you considered applying to a PhD program because generally you can get some help financially by being a TA. Also, If I were you I would email someone in that department and ask them ways to separate yourself from the other applicants, as long as you ask specific questions they usually are happy to answer them. I do think your GRE score is what is holding you back. Does the program recommend taking the psychology subject test? If it does I would take the psych subject test before you retake the GRE. hope that helps. NSU is a great program. I know the dean of psych there.